Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: Why?

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,020
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 272 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22

    Default Why?

    We get a fair amount of fairly unbiased news from the US and a sprinkling of current affairs shows. We also get the Beeb, Aus N and Al Jazeera as well as the local stations which tend to take 'crappy' to a new level. So we see your strangely named contenders for the plastic crown, we see Noot and Mitt and the other gink and we hear the various commentators and we come out of it all none the wiser.
    Your political system, like ours consists of basically left and right of the political spectrum and I can say that both the Labour Party and the Conservative Party in the UK issue well considered, usually well thought out, manifestos and, again usually, quite intelligent critiques of the opposite party's performance.
    Now the question.
    Apart from what we saw of Mississippi and apart from the byte sized nonsense written here what exactly do your republicans stand for? We hear 'smaller government'. OK then how? And if, as seems likely, some of the functions of government are 'privatised' where will the savings be? Or perhaps republicans aren't interested in savings. If republicans want to scrap Obama's medical scheme what will happen to the millions who suffered under previous governments. If Mr. Gingrich wants to be president what, precisely, will he do to make the US better? Same the the cardboard cut-out Mr. Romney.
    Has anyone on the right issued a manifesto? A policy document that actually addresses their form of government?
    I see nothing. I see abso-bloody-lutely nothing that would make me, should I be an undecided American, vote for them.
    We do hear comments such as 'The Republican Party is in disarray. Can any of the contenders improve the lot of Americans?
    So enough of the No Obama chants. Enough of the smart arse remarks. Enough of the ten second whooping sound bytes.
    Can anyone tell me why anyone should vote Republican?
    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/blog.php?u=237
    If you feel so inclined a comment would be appreciated.

    Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.


  2. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    27,702
    Thanks
    705
    Thanked 4,697 Times in 3,818 Posts
    Groans
    908
    Groaned 1,552 Times in 1,455 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowaicue View Post
    Has anyone on the right issued a manifesto? A policy document that actually addresses their form of government?
    all the candidates have....go to their campaign websites and read them.....

  3. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,020
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 272 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    all the candidates have....go to their campaign websites and read them.....
    Well their PR must be crap because very little gets onto the news or current affairs progs. And I would hazard a guess that most people are too... er lazy/busy to bother searching the info out so only the politically minded are likely to check out a campaign website.
    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/blog.php?u=237
    If you feel so inclined a comment would be appreciated.

    Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.


  4. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    73,504
    Thanks
    1,522
    Thanked 6,674 Times in 4,565 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 347 Times in 327 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Sounds like a righty rant against the MSM.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

    Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

  5. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vinland
    Posts
    21,509
    Thanks
    18,547
    Thanked 6,435 Times in 4,878 Posts
    Groans
    4,118
    Groaned 3,916 Times in 3,456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowaicue View Post
    We get a fair amount of fairly unbiased news from the US and a sprinkling of current affairs shows. We also get the Beeb, Aus N and Al Jazeera as well as the local stations which tend to take 'crappy' to a new level. So we see your strangely named contenders for the plastic crown, we see Noot and Mitt and the other gink and we hear the various commentators and we come out of it all none the wiser.
    Your political system, like ours consists of basically left and right of the political spectrum and I can say that both the Labour Party and the Conservative Party in the UK issue well considered, usually well thought out, manifestos and, again usually, quite intelligent critiques of the opposite party's performance.
    Now the question.
    Apart from what we saw of Mississippi and apart from the byte sized nonsense written here what exactly do your republicans stand for? We hear 'smaller government'. OK then how? And if, as seems likely, some of the functions of government are 'privatised' where will the savings be? Or perhaps republicans aren't interested in savings. If republicans want to scrap Obama's medical scheme what will happen to the millions who suffered under previous governments. If Mr. Gingrich wants to be president what, precisely, will he do to make the US better? Same the the cardboard cut-out Mr. Romney.
    Has anyone on the right issued a manifesto? A policy document that actually addresses their form of government?
    I see nothing. I see abso-bloody-lutely nothing that would make me, should I be an undecided American, vote for them.
    We do hear comments such as 'The Republican Party is in disarray. Can any of the contenders improve the lot of Americans?
    So enough of the No Obama chants. Enough of the smart arse remarks. Enough of the ten second whooping sound bytes.
    Can anyone tell me why anyone should vote Republican?
    I just figured out the reason for this the other day. It is shockingly simple, over 60% of the population of the US is too stupid to believe in evolution.
    Therefore they are stupid enough to believe things told them by the likes of Rush Limbaug, Glen Beck, and Sean Hannity, as well as that paragon of honesty, Bill Reily. These sheep are so easily lead they routinely vote against their own best interests, simply because some blowhard tells them to.






    Quote Originally Posted by Granule View Post
    Why is it that male liberals can't admit that sexual intercourse is the only real purpose women have?


  6. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    37,416
    Thanks
    10,032
    Thanked 7,787 Times in 5,668 Posts
    Groans
    563
    Groaned 687 Times in 650 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowaicue View Post
    Well their PR must be crap because very little gets onto the news or current affairs progs. And I would hazard a guess that most people are too... er lazy/busy to bother searching the info out so only the politically minded are likely to check out a campaign website.
    No way our news shows are that incompetent.


  7. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,020
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 272 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Spicy Weiner View Post
    No way our news shows are that incompetent.
    I agree. However they do tend to rely on cliche driven sound bytes as far as I can see. That might be because that is all they can get from the parties or it might be that, in their determination to change all output to entertainment, they edit and sex up what they are given.
    The question remains though. How can an ordinary American with a 'passing interest' it his country receive these messages that, to those who would overthrow the present regime (whichever that is) consider matters of life and death?
    Silly arsed comments like 'One term president' and'We want an American, not a muslim' etc attract the kind of person that you wouldn't put in charge of a wheelbarrow let alone a nation.
    This is a political discussion site (amongst other things) yet there is almost nothing that fits the description of political discussion as far as I can see. Non Americans like me, love to poke fun at Americans (it is so easy) but we are also interested in the development of the nation and the dangers or otherwise its decisions might bring to us all.
    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/blog.php?u=237
    If you feel so inclined a comment would be appreciated.

    Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.


  8. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    27,702
    Thanks
    705
    Thanked 4,697 Times in 3,818 Posts
    Groans
    908
    Groaned 1,552 Times in 1,455 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowaicue View Post
    Well their PR must be crap because very little gets onto the news or current affairs progs. And I would hazard a guess that most people are too... er lazy/busy to bother searching the info out so only the politically minded are likely to check out a campaign website.
    apparently you aren't watching the right news.....

  9. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,020
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 272 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    apparently you aren't watching the right news.....
    Should it be the responsibility of the electorate to search the channels? Do the candidates have secret agendas? What would happen if the American advertising industry simply announced that in future there would be no advertising but people can search the web for anything and everything they wish to buy?
    My question, sir, was a serious one and did not call for your smart arse comments. If that's all you have then I guess the hypothesis that republicans tend to be among the least intelligent Americans holds true.
    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/blog.php?u=237
    If you feel so inclined a comment would be appreciated.

    Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.


  10. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philly, PA
    Posts
    1,374
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 185 Times in 126 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 18 Times in 18 Posts

    Default

    An interesting counter argument would be suppose each candidate were honest and forthright? Imagine each saying they are unsure whether this policy would work, but we will try it? Or imagine if to pay down the debt, they said they would raise taxes as FDR did for three years running to solve that particular issue? Or imagine (in America) an atheist running and being upfront about their disbelief? I could go on but the point is vagueness is essential to politics for this allows the voter to fill in the meaning of each empty phrase. Politics is not about reality it is about rhetorical flourish based on the perceptions of the unperceptive. "Voters do you agree with me that X is a screw-up?" "We sure do."
    Writings for those who can still puzzle over why things are as they are - an advertence in all the many words.

    History http://www.justplainpolitics.com/sho...79#post1293479
    Education http://www.justplainpolitics.com/sho...r-A-Republican

  11. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    27,702
    Thanks
    705
    Thanked 4,697 Times in 3,818 Posts
    Groans
    908
    Groaned 1,552 Times in 1,455 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowaicue View Post
    Should it be the responsibility of the electorate to search the channels?
    depends.....does the electorate want to be informed or are they content being Democrats?.....my answer may have appeared to be smart assed to you.....if so, it's only because you questioned what I think everyone should naturally understand.....the information is there, it can be found.....apparently neither you or the network news is smart enough to find it......that seems strange to me......and I expect it isn't a matter of inability, but willfulness.....
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 03-22-2012 at 06:59 AM.

  12. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    27,702
    Thanks
    705
    Thanked 4,697 Times in 3,818 Posts
    Groans
    908
    Groaned 1,552 Times in 1,455 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Or imagine if to pay down the debt, they said they would raise taxes as FDR did for three years running to solve that particular issue?
    imagine if, after WW2 left the country with a massive debt, FDR raised taxes AND spent twice as much as WW2 cost so that instead of the deficit going down, it went up........

  13. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    27,702
    Thanks
    705
    Thanked 4,697 Times in 3,818 Posts
    Groans
    908
    Groaned 1,552 Times in 1,455 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Politics is not about reality it is about rhetorical flourish based on the perceptions of the unperceptive. "Voters do you agree with me that X is a screw-up?" "We sure do."
    except, of course, when the perceptive recognize that X really IS a screw up.....

  14. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,020
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 272 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    except, of course, when the perceptive recognize that X really IS a screw up.....
    I guess I will have to repeat my question.
    Can anyone tell me why anyone should vote Republican?
    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/blog.php?u=237
    If you feel so inclined a comment would be appreciated.

    Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.


  15. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Low Desert
    Posts
    2,933
    Thanks
    769
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 878 Posts
    Groans
    12
    Groaned 168 Times in 155 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowaicue View Post
    I guess I will have to repeat my question.
    Can anyone tell me why anyone should vote Republican?
    If you are in the top 1% and don't want to pay taxes and want a govt that benefits you instead of the 99%, vote Republicon. That's the main purpose of the right, protect the multi-national rich.

    Otherwise the power of conservative propaganda is very convincing and thru the repetition of hate speech, half truths and outright lies the uninformed/scared/racists vote against your own self interests.
    War Is Peace
    Freedom Is Slavery
    Ignorance Is Strength

    George Orwell


    “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crashk For This Post:

    christiefan915 (03-23-2012), cookie baker community award winning deceiver (03-22-2012), Rune (03-23-2012), ZappasGuitar (03-22-2012)

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •