Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conservatives KNOW presidents don't control prices?

1. #1 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Default Conservatives KNOW presidents don't control prices?

Mitt Romney blamed the Obama administration for high gas prices...

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-n...7272/#46777272

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

but apparently democrats don't have a clue.

http://www.politicususa.com/Dem-radio-4-26/

This week Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) delivered the Democratic radio address. Lautenberg placed the blame for the high prices of gasoline and oil firmly at the feet of George W. Bush and the Republican Party.

“This week, the price of oil and gasoline both hit new record highs – almost $120 for a barrel of oil and more than $3.50 a gallon for gas. These out-of-control prices mean that hundreds of thousands of Americans are driving to work and spending too much of their day just earning back the cost of their commute. The American people deserve to know why this happened,” Lautenberg said.

He blamed the Bush/Cheney energy policy
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 418 Posts

:lol:

How soon democrats forget.....

4. #4 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Question

If conservatives think presidents control gas prices, why did prices go up during Republican administrations?

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,786 Times in 32,152 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

you weren't embarrassed enough by the other thread?....

Quote Originally Posted by \\(())// View Post
    If conservatives think presidents control gas prices, why did prices go up during Republican administrations?

look at this chart and guess at which point Bush removed the restrictions on domestic production....guess at which point Obama reinstated them......now tell me if presidents can do anything to control gas prices....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 03-21-2012 at 05:41 PM.
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

6. #6 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    you weren't embarrassed enough by the other thread?....look at this chart and guess at which point Bush removed the restrictions on domestic production....guess at which point Obama reinstated them......now tell me presidents can do anything to control gas prices....
    Poor PimP. He posts one state's "Super-Unleaded" price data and pretends it proves his point.

Try to focus, PiMP.

If allowing drilling in sensitive environments lowers prices, why did prices go up during Republican administrations?

Let the excuses begin...

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

If allowing drilling in sensitive environments lowers prices, why did prices go up during Republican administrations?
    as the chart shows, they didn't.....except for Bush and when he eliminated the Democratically favored limits on domestic oil production the price plummeted......by the way, is proving you're lying an "excuse"?.....
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

8. #8 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

as the chart shows, they didn't.....except for Bush and when he eliminated the Democratically favored limits on domestic oil production the price plummeted......by the way, is proving you're lying an "excuse"?.....
    LOL. Your unattributed chart shows Texas "super unleaded" prices, PiMP.

Do you even look at the shit you post?

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Must you stretch the facts in a lame attempt to gain a point or something ?

No one claims presidents can CONTROL gas prices.....

thats not to say that US policy cannot or never has an effect on the price......because we know it does......

"Affecting the price" and "controlling the price" isn't the same thing....
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

LOL. Your unattributed chart shows Texas "super unleaded" prices, PiMP.
    I'm curious....do you actually think that makes a difference?.....or is it simply that you can't think of any other excuse to post......

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 230 Times in 210 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bravo View Post
    Must you stretch the facts in a lame attempt to gain a point or something ?

No one claims presidents can CONTROL gas prices.....

thats not to say that US policy cannot or never has an effect on the price......because we know it does......

"Affecting the price" and "controlling the price" isn't the same thing....
    I would be interested in a better explanation of that sentence. Affect/control may not be synonyms but they are close enough kin in this instance to have the same results. Presidents, administrations, US oil supply, even most energy policies, none of that has any significant effect on the price of gas at American pumps at this time and will not in any foreseeable future. We don't have any energy problem. We already know what to do there. We just need to make up our minds to go ahead and develop the sources and resources to do it. Oil is an unacceptable, short term and filthy solution.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gui1tars For This Post:

Don Quixote (03-22-2012)

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorman View Post
    I would be interested in a better explanation of that sentence.
    you can push a railroad car down the tracks....but unless it's got it's own engine and brake system you can't control how fast it's going to go......

14. #13 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Poor PiMP, he's fact-challenged...

Political rhetoric about the blame over gas prices and the power to change them — whether Republican claims now or Democrats’ charges four years ago — is not supported by cold, hard figures.

And that’s especially true about oil drilling in the United States.

More oil production in the United States does not mean consistently lower prices at the pump.

Sometimes prices increase as American drilling ramps up.

That’s what has happened in the past three years. Since February 2009, US oil production has increased 15 percent when seasonally adjusted. Prices in those three years went from $2.07 per gallon to $3.58.

US oil production is back to the same level it was in March 2003, when gas cost $2.10 per gallon when adjusted for inflation.

But that’s not what prices are now.

That’s because oil is a global commodity and US production has only a tiny influence on supply.

When you put the inflation-adjusted price of gas on the same chart as US oil production since 1976, the numbers sometimes go in the same direction, sometimes in opposite directions.

If drilling for more oil meant lower prices, the lines on the chart would consistently go in opposite directions.

A basic statistical measure of correlation found no link between the two.

http://bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2...TeN/story.html

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Since February 2009, US oil production has increased 15 percent when seasonally adjusted. Prices in those three years went from $2.07 per gallon to $3.58.
    we know it's just a coincidence, but February 2009 is the month that Obama reinstated restrictions on domestic oil production.....isn't it interesting that it's also the month when prices started to climb?.......

16. #15 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

we know it's just a coincidence, but February 2009 is the month that Obama reinstated restrictions on domestic oil production.....isn't it interesting that it's also the month when prices started to climb?.......
    Cite, PiMP...since Obama also lifted restrictions, how do you explain the price increases?

Obama Opens Up Offshore Drilling and Exploration

In a move that angered environmentalists, President Obama today said he is lifting bans on offshore drilling and oil and gas exploration off the Virginia coast, and is expanding lease sales for oil and gas exploration on the Atlantic seaboard.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Politics/ob...ry?id=10249811

Obama lifts drilling moratorium

The deepwater drilling moratorium is over. Secretary of the Interior Kenneth Salazar announced today that the ban on leases for new drilling operations, first issued on May 28, is ending over a month before the November 30 deadline. He and Bureau of Ocean Energy Management director Michael Bromwich announced the end of the moratorium today on a 1:00 pm media conference call. "We are open for business," Salazar said.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/12/news...tune/index.htm