Thread: Irony of ironies: Restrictive voting law bars GOP Senator from polls

1. #1 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Default Irony of ironies: Restrictive voting law bars GOP Senator from polls

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

looks like the guy should be renting himself an apartment.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

3. #3 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post

He can afford to do that, and can afford attorneys to argue his case, unlike many of the poor and elderly that GOP-sponsored laws disenfranchise.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

the only people disenfranchised are those too lazy to get their free photo ID.....
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

He doesn't need to, the requirement is the same as the one to get on the ballot which he won after appealing. The panel is politically motivated and will be overturned on appeal.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    He doesn't need to, the requirement is the same as the one to get on the ballot which he won after appealing. The panel is politically motivated and will be overturned on appeal.

What is the requirement?

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by \\(())// View Post
    He can afford to do that, and can afford attorneys to argue his case, unlike many of the poor and elderly that GOP-sponsored laws disenfranchise.
    The poor are, quite literally, not keeping houses in other parts of the nation. It is unlikely that they would ever be hindered by this law. It is a law that pretty much targets rich people with multiple homes in other parts of the nation. And before you go into military service, the law specifically defines service to the nation (Congresspersons, military, etc.) as residents while they serve. Military personnel don't even need to keep an apartment, while others would. This is the same type of law that allowed the current Mayor of Chicago to be on the ballot...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    The poor are, quite literally, not keeping houses in other parts of the nation. It is unlikely that they would be hindered by this law. It is a law that pretty much targets rich people with multiple homes in other parts of the nation.
    Seriously though....if he expects to continue to represent the people of Indiana he needs to maintain contact with the people of Indiana......I remember when Guy VanderJagt from Michigan lost in the primary for nearly the same reason.....he had gotten to the point where he only spent time in Michigan when he ran for re-election.....

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by General Buck Turgidson View Post
    What is the requirement?
    In this case, the law determines that those who are "serving the nation" are "resident" during the duration of their service. Congresscritters must keep a residence, military personnel do not have that requirement...

Basically it is the same type of law that allowed Rahm Emanuel to run for Mayor.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Seriously though....if he expects to continue to represent the people of Indiana he needs to maintain contact with the people of Indiana......I remember when Guy VanderJagt from Michigan lost in the primary for nearly the same reason.....he had gotten to the point where he only spent time in Michigan when he ran for re-election.....
    I think if he's that disconnected he'll lose his Primary battle regardless.

However, the panel that tried to keep him off the ballot is the same panel that is now trying to say he can't vote. It's a political circle jerk.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by \\(())// View Post
    The poor and elderly don't need to pay lawyers....they have thousands of them in Washington for free as long as they will continue to vote early and often for Democrats, if doesn't matter where they live or if they are citizens or even if they are actually alive....
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.