Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 36 of 36

Thread: How precious are words?

  1. #31 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vinland
    Posts
    20,457
    Thanks
    16,894
    Thanked 6,030 Times in 4,554 Posts
    Groans
    3,585
    Groaned 3,571 Times in 3,166 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Why would I deliberately misinterprate your meaning? What an asinie assumption. I started the thread to gain a deeper understanding.
    You choose to act as a guardian of history, I choose the convienence of a powerful vocabulary. Maybe when I am wiser I will feel more akin to your idea, however to think that an occasional use of a weighted word in a verbal jousting match among idiots is going to influence future generations of scholars from detecting the horror of Hitler's Germany seems weak reasoning at best.






    Quote Originally Posted by Granule View Post
    Why is it that male liberals can't admit that sexual intercourse is the only real purpose women have?


  2. #32 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    73,066
    Thanks
    1,470
    Thanked 6,250 Times in 4,314 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 330 Times in 311 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    Why would I deliberately misinterprate your meaning? What an asinie assumption. I started the thread to gain a deeper understanding.
    You choose to act as a guardian of history, I choose the convienence of a powerful vocabulary. Maybe when I am wiser I will feel more akin to your idea, however to think that an occasional use of a weighted word in a verbal jousting match among idiots is going to influence future generations of scholars from detecting the horror of Hitler's Germany seems weak reasoning at best.
    Nah, you chose to put the importance on "certain words" and then assign that same meaning to what I said, drawing it out of context and deliberately misapplying meaning.

    I'm good with that, I just don't think it is either honest or deep.

    Do you believe that the history of the holocaust should be diminished by making the words commonplace without the impact of the history?

    I don't stop you from using the words, I just take the opportunity to teach people of the actual history so that the history itself will not be diminished by making its use cartoonish.

    It isn't historians that need to be reminded.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

    Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

  3. #33 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    22,447
    Thanks
    25,474
    Thanked 9,168 Times in 6,296 Posts
    Groans
    660
    Groaned 839 Times in 780 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    You describe it that way, I did not. Your straw man is weak, unclothed, and obvious.
    My strawman wear lipstick!
    First, we need to grieve that in our world there even needs to be a journey toward women’s living as the equal beings they already are.
    Judith Barr 2013

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sardonic For This Post:

    Damocles (03-16-2012)

  5. #34 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vinland
    Posts
    20,457
    Thanks
    16,894
    Thanked 6,030 Times in 4,554 Posts
    Groans
    3,585
    Groaned 3,571 Times in 3,166 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Nah, you chose to put the importance on "certain words" and then assign that same meaning to what I said, drawing it out of context and deliberately misapplying meaning.

    I'm good with that, I just don't think it is either honest or deep.

    Do you believe that the history of the holocaust should be diminished by making the words commonplace without the impact of the history?

    I don't stop you from using the words, I just take the opportunity to teach people of the actual history so that the history itself will not be diminished by making its use cartoonish.

    It isn't historians that need to be reminded.
    Isn't it obvious I don't understand? Why would I need to be devious? Learning just now that you are a historian helps. If the thread had been full of blacksmithing misnomers I likely would have jumped in too.
    I note that you disregarded points I made which IMHO are valid.






    Quote Originally Posted by Granule View Post
    Why is it that male liberals can't admit that sexual intercourse is the only real purpose women have?


  6. #35 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    73,066
    Thanks
    1,470
    Thanked 6,250 Times in 4,314 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 330 Times in 311 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    Isn't it obvious I don't understand? Why would I need to be devious? Learning just now that you are a historian helps. If the thread had been full of blacksmithing misnomers I likely would have jumped in too.
    I note that you disregarded points I made which IMHO are valid.
    I answered each point in the post I quoted, up to and including pointing out that it isn't historians that I think may have a diminished understanding of the history. Your sarcastic suggestion that historians would somehow misunderstand was an attempt at misdirection, I redirected it when I said that it isn't the historians that need to be reminded if you choose to use the "weighted words" for "more power" in a way that will diminish the history.

    It is the same reason that people shouldn't use the "n-word" in such a cartoonish way, IMO. It may take power from the word, but the word should have power, it reminds us of a terrible time in our own history and its continued impact in modern times.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

    Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

  7. #36 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philly, PA
    Posts
    1,363
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 182 Times in 123 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 18 Times in 18 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowaicue View Post
    ...Vvv few pitchers can addy quately tell asstorie one thet ken is Guernica by Pablo Picasso...
    We saw Guernica when it was still at MoMA and if you think outside of context that picture says anything at all, you just have to show it to people unfamiliar with its background and you will find your answer. Let us know.





    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    ....It is the same reason that people shouldn't use the "n-word" in such a cartoonish way, IMO. It may take power from the word, but the word should have power, it reminds us of a terrible time in our own history and its continued impact in modern times.
    Words change consider gay as an example, but if you'd like to understand the changing N_word, ride the Broad Street subway in Philly with the black students and you'll find it is closer in meaning to a simple put down and has no historical consideration at all for them.
    Last edited by midcan5; 03-17-2012 at 06:44 AM.
    Writings for those who can still puzzle over why things are as they are - an advertence in all the many words.

    History http://www.justplainpolitics.com/sho...79#post1293479
    Education http://www.justplainpolitics.com/sho...r-A-Republican

Similar Threads

  1. Meg's own words?!!
    By signalmankenneth in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-23-2010, 11:48 AM
  2. Afghanistan loaded with precious minerals. All makes sense now.
    By Chapdog in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-15-2010, 04:30 PM
  3. The precious government caused more panic than needed..
    By DigitalDave in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-23-2009, 03:16 PM
  4. Too sad for words
    By Diuretic in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-17-2008, 08:42 AM
  5. Two Words . . .
    By OrnotBitwise in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-04-2006, 08:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •