Thread: Clarification of Personal Info Rule

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,607 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Clarification of Personal Info Rule

Posters come here to speak on controversial issues, some of which can be problematic to them in RL if they are "outed" here. If a poster has not posted their name, links to FB Accounts, links to other boards, etc. this information should not be brought here under any circumstances. Speaking of the images you may find on such an outside website, tantalizing others, passing that information to others, etc. is frowned upon. While we cannot know what is going on inside your PM, unless it is reported to us or unless we are forced to gather that information by a court of law, it is best to simply avoid such activity here.

While small bits of information in a post can be used to "find" somebody's RL identity, this doesn't mean that it is okay to post about it here or to pass that information through PM or other uses to try to intimidate or troll a poster. Information gathered by illegal means (gaining illegal access to the email of another for instance, remember that dude that went to prison for doing that to Sarah Palin, it's actually illegal for others to do that to you too; this is just one example of how one can literally break the law in their zeal to gather information), is absolutely prohibited and will result in a permanent ban of the user if we feel we have enough evidence to support that a user has violated another user's privacy in this way, it should be particularly clear that posting about that information (gathered by illegal means) by inference or directly is waaaay too far, especially when used to intimidate.

Of late we've had many arguments about personal information and its use on the site. How the Admin Team will react to these types of violations will always be subjective, we will take into account: violations of the past, whether the activity was actually illegal, what the information is, how often we've had to deal with the poster on other issues, etc. It's a whole picture, and we will do our best to be as fair as possible.

Thank you,

JPP Admin Team
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by General Chamberlain View Post
    Break it down for the retards, Damo. What does RL stand for, and in what possible way could they ever fucking relate to it?!!?
    RL = Real Life

As for whether they relate to it is up to their shrink.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Minister of Truth (03-01-2012), Phantasmal (03-01-2012)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

So are you saying if "Critic" posts that she lives in the subs of Naples Florida, and "dumb" reports on that to the rest of us who wouldn't have otherwise noticied or given a fuck about it, "dumb" will be banned?
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    So are you saying if "Critic" posts that she lives in the subs of Naples Florida, and "dumb" reports on that to the rest of us who wouldn't have otherwise noticied or given a fuck about it, "dumb" will be banned?
    No. Are you deliberately being obtuse?

If you post your information here publicly then it is fair game. You were warned in the rules about that. It's very clear. If you don't want everybody to know something don't post it here.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Cancel 2018. 3 (03-01-2012)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Break it down for the retards, Damo. What does RL stand for, and in what possible way could they ever fucking relate to it?!!?
    If you didn't know what RL stood for, you could just ask.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    No. Are you deliberately being obtuse?

If you post your information here publicly then it is fair game. You were warned in the rules about that. It's very clear. If you don't want everybody to know something don't post it here.
    No. Just looking for total clarity.

Nevermind, I see the offense I meantioned is "frowned upon".

QUOTE]
    Speaking of the images you may find on such an outside website, tantalizing others, passing that information to others, etc. is frowned upon.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Posters come here to speak on controversial issues, some of which can be problematic to them in RL if they are "outed" here. If a poster has not posted their name, links to FB Accounts, links to other boards, etc. this information should not be brought here under any circumstances. Speaking of the images you may find on such an outside website, tantalizing others, passing that information to others, etc. is frowned upon. While we cannot know what is going on inside your PM, unless it is reported to us or unless we are forced to gather that information by a court of law, it is best to simply avoid such activity here.

While small bits of information in a post can be used to "find" somebody's RL identity, this doesn't mean that it is okay to post about it here or to pass that information through PM or other uses to try to intimidate or troll a poster. Information gathered by illegal means (gaining illegal access to the email of another for instance, remember that dude that went to prison for doing that to Sarah Palin, it's actually illegal for others to do that to you too; this is just one example of how one can literally break the law in their zeal to gather information), is absolutely prohibited and will result in a permanent ban of the user if we feel we have enough evidence to support that a user has violated another user's privacy in this way, it should be particularly clear that posting about that information (gathered by illegal means) by inference or directly is waaaay too far, especially when used to intimidate.

Of late we've had many arguments about personal information and its use on the site. How the Admin Team will react to these types of violations will always be subjective, we will take into account: violations of the past, whether the activity was actually illegal, what the information is, how often we've had to deal with the poster on other issues, etc. It's a whole picture, and we will do our best to be as fair as possible.

Thank you,

JPP Admin Team
    Can you confirm that PMs are exactly that? Hence any allusion, reference or comment about the contents by the recipient without express permission of the sender is similarly frowned on.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

i seriously can't believe you're still whining about that tom. you give out poet's personal information and you claim you did nothing wrong and merely tried to help him, but you're still bitching that i told him you gave me the info. damo has already said it was wrong for me to tell poet about your PM.

let it go.

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    i seriously can't believe you're still whining about that tom. you give out poet's personal information and you claim you did nothing wrong and merely tried to help him, but you're still bitching that i told him you gave me the info. damo has already said it was wrong for me to tell poet about your PM.

let it go.
    OK, fair enough, it's water under the bridge. It would be nice if you apologised for your transgression.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 03-02-2012 at 05:46 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Cancel 2018. 3 (03-02-2012)

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aoxomoxoa View Post
    Can you confirm that PMs are exactly that? Hence any allusion, reference or comment about the contents by the recipient without express permission of the sender is similarly frowned on.
    Yes. I would also confirm that. The content of a PM should remain private. You can report them to us using the report feature or by forwarding them, however their content shouldn't make it to the board without permission.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (03-04-2012), Don Quixote (03-07-2012)

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

Yes. I would also confirm that. The content of a PM should remain private. You can report them to us using the report feature or by forwarding them, however their content shouldn't make it to the board without permission.
    let me see if i have this right

if i post something about myself, then it may be repeated, but if i have not posted it and it was found out from another source, then it may not be posted

if i send information about myself in a pm, then that information may not be repeated on the board without my permission

is this an accurate summary?
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    let me see if i have this right

if i post something about myself, then it may be repeated, but if i have not posted it and it was found out from another source, then it may not be posted

if i send information about myself in a pm, then that information may not be repeated on the board without my permission

is this an accurate summary?
    Correct.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

Grind is a cross-dresser. I don't know it he's ever admitted it on the board, but he is.
    and this is important why

more precisely, who cares
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America