Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 'Lunch Scholars' Video Reveals American Teens Can't Answer Basic Trivia (VIDEO)

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,133 Times in 4,488 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default 'Lunch Scholars' Video Reveals American Teens Can't Answer Basic Trivia (VIDEO)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1250023.html

If there was ever a movie to make you laugh to keep from crying, it's this one.

Austin, an intrepid young student-reporter, embarks on the noble mission of answering the question, "How much basic knowledge do American high school students really have?" The answer, however, may not be exactly what you want to hear.

"Do you know the vice president of the United States?" Austin asks.

"I don't know who it it's, it's, it's somebody....Bin Ladin," one student responds.

The video continues in similar fashion, asking everything from, "In what war did America gain independence?" (which no one answered correctly without a hint) to "What countries border America?"

Comedy aside, the United State's poor international rankings in subject proficiencies such as math is a problem that could cost the country around $75 trillion over 80 years, according to a study called "Globally Challenged: Are U.S. Students Ready to Compete?"

Based on the research, U.S. students place behind 31 other countries in math proficiency, and behind 16 other countries in reading.

Paul Peterson, a Harvard government professor, notes the effect this could have on the economy.

"If we're going to grow at the rate that we hope to grow at to address the many issues that exist in our society, we need to have a powerful educational system that is producing a highly proficient workforce," Peterson told HuffPost in October.

Finland shocked the world with their scores on the 2000 Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) --an international exam for 15-year-olds where it ranked first for reading proficiency. By 2009, the country inhabited the top of the roster in reading, second in science and sixth in math.

A 2010 study by the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) showed the U.S. history testing scores are "stagnant," with only 9 percent of fourth graders correctly identifying a photograph of Abraham Lincoln and stating two reasons for his importance.

Lee White, executive director of the National History Coalition, says the problem stems from history's place in American curriculum.

"They've narrowed the curriculum to teach to the test. History has been deemphasized," he said. "You can't expect kids to have great scores in history when they're not being taught history."

Thank God, these were examples of "white kids", not knowing basic information, and not "black kids". Folks 'round here, are so quick to point out the failings of black kids, when their own houses aren't in order. I'm jus' sayin'.- poet. Watch Yurt or Webbway post a counter video.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

The effect its had on the economy ? Hell, look at the effect its had on government.......Obama is president and Mr. Pointy Pinhead Biden is VP......
    Washington in eyeball deep in numbskull minorities that we call gurus....making more money than they ever saw in their private lives......
    and the craziness goes on and on.....

The dumbing down of America is endangering the nations very existence as we've known it.......

Its a downward spiral of stupidity causing liberalism, liberalism empowering Democrats and Democrats supporting more stupidity.....

Naturally, our resident racist would leave this comment....

"Thank God, these were examples of "white kids", not knowing basic information, and not "black kids". Folks 'round here, are so quick to point out the failings of black kids, when their own houses aren't in order. I'm jus' sayin'.- poet. Watch Yurt or Webbway post a counter video"
    Black kids can't even name their own fathers let alone historical figures......they're taught MLK is the son of god......and thats about it for history......they think Europe is a city and all whites are
    bigots..............
    Last edited by NOVA; 02-02-2012 at 09:12 PM.
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

3. The Following User Groans At NOVA For This Awful Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (02-03-2012)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

cue white poet:

you're a racist because this video shows white people. you just want white people to look dumb you racist mothu facker.l

5. The Following User Groans At Cancel 2018. 3 For This Awful Post:

Rune (02-03-2012)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2018. 3 For This Post:

icedancer2theend (02-03-2012), The Dude (02-03-2012), USFREEDOM911 (02-03-2012)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank God, these were examples of "white kids", not knowing basic information, and not "black kids". Folks 'round here, are so quick to point out the failings of black kids, when their own houses aren't in order. I'm jus' sayin'.- poet.

LOL

What a race-baiter you are. And what the fuck are all the extra commas for in your writing? You need some schoolin', boy

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 149 Times in 138 Posts

Public schools suck because the whole system is run by liberal progressives.

9. The Following User Groans At icedancer2theend For This Awful Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (02-03-2012)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icedancer2theend For This Post:

RockX (02-03-2012), The Dude (02-03-2012)

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by poet View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1250023.html

If there was ever a movie to make you laugh to keep from crying, it's this one.

Austin, an intrepid young student-reporter, embarks on the noble mission of answering the question, "How much basic knowledge do American high school students really have?" The answer, however, may not be exactly what you want to hear.

"Do you know the vice president of the United States?" Austin asks.

"I don't know who it it's, it's, it's somebody....Bin Ladin," one student responds.

The video continues in similar fashion, asking everything from, "In what war did America gain independence?" (which no one answered correctly without a hint) to "What countries border America?"

Comedy aside, the United State's poor international rankings in subject proficiencies such as math is a problem that could cost the country around $75 trillion over 80 years, according to a study called "Globally Challenged: Are U.S. Students Ready to Compete?"

Based on the research, U.S. students place behind 31 other countries in math proficiency, and behind 16 other countries in reading.

Paul Peterson, a Harvard government professor, notes the effect this could have on the economy.

"If we're going to grow at the rate that we hope to grow at to address the many issues that exist in our society, we need to have a powerful educational system that is producing a highly proficient workforce," Peterson told HuffPost in October.

Finland shocked the world with their scores on the 2000 Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) --an international exam for 15-year-olds where it ranked first for reading proficiency. By 2009, the country inhabited the top of the roster in reading, second in science and sixth in math.

A 2010 study by the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) showed the U.S. history testing scores are "stagnant," with only 9 percent of fourth graders correctly identifying a photograph of Abraham Lincoln and stating two reasons for his importance.

Lee White, executive director of the National History Coalition, says the problem stems from history's place in American curriculum.

"They've narrowed the curriculum to teach to the test. History has been deemphasized," he said. "You can't expect kids to have great scores in history when they're not being taught history."

Thank God, these were examples of "white kids", not knowing basic information, and not "black kids". Folks 'round here, are so quick to point out the failings of black kids, when their own houses aren't in order. I'm jus' sayin'.- poet. Watch Yurt or Webbway post a counter video.
    Are you stupid enough to believe that his film shows the response of EVERYONE that he interviewed and that he didn't cherry pick the ones he wanted to present.
    He had an agenda and set out to show anything that supported his agenda.

Have you slapped your momma today?
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

sadly, I can throw my two stepkids right in to this movie.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (02-03-2012), poet (02-03-2012)

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bravo View Post
    The effect its had on the economy ? Hell, look at the effect its had on government.......Obama is president and Mr. Pointy Pinhead Biden is VP......
    Washington in eyeball deep in numbskull minorities that we call gurus....making more money than they ever saw in their private lives......
    and the craziness goes on and on.....

The dumbing down of America is endangering the nations very existence as we've known it.......

Its a downward spiral of stupidity causing liberalism, liberalism empowering Democrats and Democrats supporting more stupidity.....

Naturally, our resident racist would leave this comment....

Black kids can't even name their own fathers let alone historical figures......they're taught MLK is the son of god......and thats about it for history......they think Europe is a city and all whites are
    bigots..............
    Wow. If you only made sense. And of course, you'll produce evidence to support your claims....but probably not. LOL

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    Thank God, these were examples of "white kids", not knowing basic information, and not "black kids". Folks 'round here, are so quick to point out the failings of black kids, when their own houses aren't in order. I'm jus' sayin'.- poet.

LOL

What a race-baiter you are. And what the fuck are all the extra commas for in your writing? You need some schoolin', boy

Right. Looking at your avatar and your racial pejorative, you have the nerve to call anyone a race-baiter? I guess it worked.....all the racists come running when I post.

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by icedancer2theend View Post
    Public schools suck because the whole system is run by liberal progressives.
    Under-funded by conservatives, who want to dismantle the dept of education, and not pay teachers.

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 3,823 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,543 Times in 3,270 Posts

this is nothing new, the tonight show use to do this with adults in the 80's. They were are just as dumb.

But rant on about education you lunatics.

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by poet View Post
    Under-funded by conservatives, who want to dismantle the dept of education, and not pay teachers.
    given the results you just posted, I would say we should fire everyone at the DoE and all the teachers......I bet there are a lot of parents, who seeing this video, wish they had schools of choice and a voucher system......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

icedancer2theend (02-03-2012)

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 3,823 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,543 Times in 3,270 Posts

as if the parents are smarter postmoderSandusky

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    as if the parents are smarter postmoderSandusky
    have you stopped molesting children?.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”