Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 65

Thread: 'Lunch Scholars' Video Reveals American Teens Can't Answer Basic Trivia (VIDEO)

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,173
    Thanks
    3,704
    Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,809 Posts
    Groans
    799
    Groaned 5,133 Times in 4,488 Posts
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default 'Lunch Scholars' Video Reveals American Teens Can't Answer Basic Trivia (VIDEO)

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1250023.html


    If there was ever a movie to make you laugh to keep from crying, it's this one.

    Austin, an intrepid young student-reporter, embarks on the noble mission of answering the question, "How much basic knowledge do American high school students really have?" The answer, however, may not be exactly what you want to hear.

    "Do you know the vice president of the United States?" Austin asks.

    "I don't know who it it's, it's, it's somebody....Bin Ladin," one student responds.

    The video continues in similar fashion, asking everything from, "In what war did America gain independence?" (which no one answered correctly without a hint) to "What countries border America?"

    Comedy aside, the United State's poor international rankings in subject proficiencies such as math is a problem that could cost the country around $75 trillion over 80 years, according to a study called "Globally Challenged: Are U.S. Students Ready to Compete?"

    Based on the research, U.S. students place behind 31 other countries in math proficiency, and behind 16 other countries in reading.




    Paul Peterson, a Harvard government professor, notes the effect this could have on the economy.

    "If we're going to grow at the rate that we hope to grow at to address the many issues that exist in our society, we need to have a powerful educational system that is producing a highly proficient workforce," Peterson told HuffPost in October.

    Finland shocked the world with their scores on the 2000 Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) --an international exam for 15-year-olds where it ranked first for reading proficiency. By 2009, the country inhabited the top of the roster in reading, second in science and sixth in math.

    A 2010 study by the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) showed the U.S. history testing scores are "stagnant," with only 9 percent of fourth graders correctly identifying a photograph of Abraham Lincoln and stating two reasons for his importance.

    Lee White, executive director of the National History Coalition, says the problem stems from history's place in American curriculum.

    "They've narrowed the curriculum to teach to the test. History has been deemphasized," he said. "You can't expect kids to have great scores in history when they're not being taught history."



    Thank God, these were examples of "white kids", not knowing basic information, and not "black kids". Folks 'round here, are so quick to point out the failings of black kids, when their own houses aren't in order. I'm jus' sayin'.- poet. Watch Yurt or Webbway post a counter video.

  2. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic State
    Posts
    20,539
    Thanks
    2,348
    Thanked 3,549 Times in 2,873 Posts
    Groans
    1,468
    Groaned 2,254 Times in 1,852 Posts

    Default

    The effect its had on the economy ? Hell, look at the effect its had on government.......Obama is president and Mr. Pointy Pinhead Biden is VP......
    Washington in eyeball deep in numbskull minorities that we call gurus....making more money than they ever saw in their private lives......
    and the craziness goes on and on.....

    The dumbing down of America is endangering the nations very existence as we've known it.......

    Its a downward spiral of stupidity causing liberalism, liberalism empowering Democrats and Democrats supporting more stupidity.....



    Naturally, our resident racist would leave this comment....

    "Thank God, these were examples of "white kids", not knowing basic information, and not "black kids". Folks 'round here, are so quick to point out the failings of black kids, when their own houses aren't in order. I'm jus' sayin'.- poet. Watch Yurt or Webbway post a counter video"
    Black kids can't even name their own fathers let alone historical figures......they're taught MLK is the son of god......and thats about it for history......they think Europe is a city and all whites are
    bigots..............
    Last edited by NOVA; 02-02-2012 at 09:12 PM.
    "all persons held as slaves" within the rebellious states "are, and henceforward shall be free."- President Abe Lincoln, Republican

    Wounded Warriors, I wouldn't give those guys a nickle. --- Rana
    I wouldn't either. They aren't rated very highly by some of the charity watchdogs.---Christiefan
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can help muffle the sound


  3. The Following User Groans At NOVA For This Awful Post:

    Jean (02-03-2012)

  4. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    47,973
    Thanks
    4,579
    Thanked 3,083 Times in 2,617 Posts
    Groans
    3,368
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

    Default

    cue white poet:

    you're a racist because this video shows white people. you just want white people to look dumb you racist mothu facker.l

  5. The Following User Groans At Yurt For This Awful Post:

    Rune (02-03-2012)

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yurt For This Post:

    icedancer2theend (02-03-2012), The Dude (02-03-2012), USFREEDOM911 (02-03-2012)

  7. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,741
    Thanks
    1,715
    Thanked 990 Times in 713 Posts
    Groans
    1,014
    Groaned 266 Times in 240 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Thank God, these were examples of "white kids", not knowing basic information, and not "black kids". Folks 'round here, are so quick to point out the failings of black kids, when their own houses aren't in order. I'm jus' sayin'.- poet.


    LOL

    What a race-baiter you are. And what the fuck are all the extra commas for in your writing? You need some schoolin', boy

  8. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,619
    Thanks
    1,108
    Thanked 415 Times in 340 Posts
    Groans
    600
    Groaned 149 Times in 138 Posts

    Default

    Public schools suck because the whole system is run by liberal progressives.

  9. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    33,401
    Thanks
    2,035
    Thanked 3,867 Times in 3,335 Posts
    Groans
    4,736
    Groaned 1,304 Times in 1,260 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poet View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1250023.html


    If there was ever a movie to make you laugh to keep from crying, it's this one.

    Austin, an intrepid young student-reporter, embarks on the noble mission of answering the question, "How much basic knowledge do American high school students really have?" The answer, however, may not be exactly what you want to hear.

    "Do you know the vice president of the United States?" Austin asks.

    "I don't know who it it's, it's, it's somebody....Bin Ladin," one student responds.

    The video continues in similar fashion, asking everything from, "In what war did America gain independence?" (which no one answered correctly without a hint) to "What countries border America?"

    Comedy aside, the United State's poor international rankings in subject proficiencies such as math is a problem that could cost the country around $75 trillion over 80 years, according to a study called "Globally Challenged: Are U.S. Students Ready to Compete?"

    Based on the research, U.S. students place behind 31 other countries in math proficiency, and behind 16 other countries in reading.




    Paul Peterson, a Harvard government professor, notes the effect this could have on the economy.

    "If we're going to grow at the rate that we hope to grow at to address the many issues that exist in our society, we need to have a powerful educational system that is producing a highly proficient workforce," Peterson told HuffPost in October.

    Finland shocked the world with their scores on the 2000 Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) --an international exam for 15-year-olds where it ranked first for reading proficiency. By 2009, the country inhabited the top of the roster in reading, second in science and sixth in math.

    A 2010 study by the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) showed the U.S. history testing scores are "stagnant," with only 9 percent of fourth graders correctly identifying a photograph of Abraham Lincoln and stating two reasons for his importance.

    Lee White, executive director of the National History Coalition, says the problem stems from history's place in American curriculum.

    "They've narrowed the curriculum to teach to the test. History has been deemphasized," he said. "You can't expect kids to have great scores in history when they're not being taught history."



    Thank God, these were examples of "white kids", not knowing basic information, and not "black kids". Folks 'round here, are so quick to point out the failings of black kids, when their own houses aren't in order. I'm jus' sayin'.- poet. Watch Yurt or Webbway post a counter video.
    Are you stupid enough to believe that his film shows the response of EVERYONE that he interviewed and that he didn't cherry pick the ones he wanted to present.
    He had an agenda and set out to show anything that supported his agenda.

    Have you slapped your momma today?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Booth View Post
    He takes the Deep South and the Plains states in these polls, I presume..........
    If you ask me, Trump will probably lose Louisiana and Georgia, almost certainly North Carolina, and perhaps Missouri. It would be a cathartic GOP bloodletting of 1964 vintage. Roughly 380 to 160 by my accounting. I'd bet a bit of cash on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonthecat View Post
    ...Trump will drop out of the race after New Hampshire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckly J. Ewer View Post
    Another Landslide win by the left is inevitable...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    ...you dish it out, but you can't take it...

  10. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    28,870
    Thanks
    1,041
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    1,008
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

    Default

    sadly, I can throw my two stepkids right in to this movie.
    Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. — Tench Coxe, Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

  11. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Posts
    36,691
    Thanks
    9,353
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 5,188 Posts
    Groans
    551
    Groaned 607 Times in 574 Posts

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eno L. Camino For This Post:

    Jean (02-03-2012), poet (02-03-2012)

  13. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,173
    Thanks
    3,704
    Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,809 Posts
    Groans
    799
    Groaned 5,133 Times in 4,488 Posts
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bravo View Post
    The effect its had on the economy ? Hell, look at the effect its had on government.......Obama is president and Mr. Pointy Pinhead Biden is VP......
    Washington in eyeball deep in numbskull minorities that we call gurus....making more money than they ever saw in their private lives......
    and the craziness goes on and on.....

    The dumbing down of America is endangering the nations very existence as we've known it.......

    Its a downward spiral of stupidity causing liberalism, liberalism empowering Democrats and Democrats supporting more stupidity.....



    Naturally, our resident racist would leave this comment....


    Black kids can't even name their own fathers let alone historical figures......they're taught MLK is the son of god......and thats about it for history......they think Europe is a city and all whites are
    bigots..............
    Wow. If you only made sense. And of course, you'll produce evidence to support your claims....but probably not. LOL

  14. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,173
    Thanks
    3,704
    Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,809 Posts
    Groans
    799
    Groaned 5,133 Times in 4,488 Posts
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    Thank God, these were examples of "white kids", not knowing basic information, and not "black kids". Folks 'round here, are so quick to point out the failings of black kids, when their own houses aren't in order. I'm jus' sayin'.- poet.


    LOL

    What a race-baiter you are. And what the fuck are all the extra commas for in your writing? You need some schoolin', boy

    Right. Looking at your avatar and your racial pejorative, you have the nerve to call anyone a race-baiter? I guess it worked.....all the racists come running when I post.

  15. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,173
    Thanks
    3,704
    Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,809 Posts
    Groans
    799
    Groaned 5,133 Times in 4,488 Posts
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icedancer2theend View Post
    Public schools suck because the whole system is run by liberal progressives.
    Under-funded by conservatives, who want to dismantle the dept of education, and not pay teachers.

  16. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16,548
    Thanks
    17,467
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 3,823 Posts
    Groans
    19,215
    Groaned 3,543 Times in 3,270 Posts

    Default

    this is nothing new, the tonight show use to do this with adults in the 80's. They were are just as dumb.

    But rant on about education you lunatics.
    Faith is the surrender of reason,
    Reason is what separates us from other mammals
    Of all the supposed virtues
    Faith is the most overrated

  17. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    28,792
    Thanks
    743
    Thanked 4,691 Times in 3,870 Posts
    Groans
    903
    Groaned 1,455 Times in 1,361 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poet View Post
    Under-funded by conservatives, who want to dismantle the dept of education, and not pay teachers.
    given the results you just posted, I would say we should fire everyone at the DoE and all the teachers......I bet there are a lot of parents, who seeing this video, wish they had schools of choice and a voucher system......

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

    icedancer2theend (02-03-2012)

  19. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16,548
    Thanks
    17,467
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 3,823 Posts
    Groans
    19,215
    Groaned 3,543 Times in 3,270 Posts

    Default

    as if the parents are smarter postmoderSandusky
    Faith is the surrender of reason,
    Reason is what separates us from other mammals
    Of all the supposed virtues
    Faith is the most overrated

  20. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    28,792
    Thanks
    743
    Thanked 4,691 Times in 3,870 Posts
    Groans
    903
    Groaned 1,455 Times in 1,361 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    as if the parents are smarter postmoderSandusky
    have you stopped molesting children?.....

Similar Threads

  1. My first Youtube video
    By Beefy in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: Yesterday, 09:02 PM
  2. Did Anyone Not See This Video?
    By Eno L. Camino in forum Sports, Hobbies & Pictures
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2009, 02:32 PM
  3. Democrats have failed to answer the most basic question
    By TuTu Monroe in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 02:46 AM
  4. For those that haven't seen this video already
    By Borboletta in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-24-2009, 06:31 PM
  5. best video ever!!!
    By Robdawg in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-07-2008, 10:59 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •