1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default CNN Commentator Suspended Over Beckham Tweets

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...kham-ad-tweets

After apologizing for what he called a misunderstanding, Roland Martin is out at CNN.

The network announced Wednesday afternoon that the analyst would be suspended for the foreseeable future.

VIDEOS: David Beckham's Underwear Ad and Other Super Bowl Commercials of 2012

"Roland Martin's tweets were regrettable and offensive," reads the statement. "Language that demeans is inconsistent with the values and culture of our organization, and is not tolerated. We have been giving careful consideration to this matter, and Roland will not be appearing on our air for the time being."

Prompting all of the furor was Martin's Twitter commentary on Super Bowl commercials, particularly one about the underwear clad David Beckham (below).

"If a dude at your Super Bowl party is hyped about David Beckham's H&M underwear ad," he wrote, "smack the ish out of him!"

GLAAD (Gay Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) immediately responded by demanding his removal from the news network, though Martin insisted that his tweet was not a homophobic encouragement of violence -- but a dig at soccer fans.

More at link...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,133 Times in 4,488 Posts
    Blog Entries

Stupidity and bravado, on his part. He said that nonsense, in front of his boyz, watching the game...you don't tweet it. And we went to the same high school. I was a fan, up until now.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,921 Times in 7,750 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 808 Times in 757 Posts
    Blog Entries

I read the story but I was confused. What did be mean by "beat the ish out of them"? Was that twitter for "shit" or is that what gay-bashers say now, like it's short for swish or something? I really am out of the hate-a-rade loop.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,133 Times in 4,488 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    I read the story but I was confused. What did be mean by "beat the ish out of them"? Was that twitter for "shit" or is that what gay-bashers say now, like it's short for swish or something? I really am out of the hate-a-rade loop.
    ish= shit....I guess. I'm not into how gay bashers talk. It's really ironic, Martin "gay bashing", when he wears a dubious "ascot", on air, as if he were a "fey" English gentleman. So contrived. So "gay".

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have no idea what he meant by bash the ish out of them. But Martin is a football (American) fan and does like to bash football (we call it soccer).

Could he have been bashing gay men? Sure.

But a soccer star in a commercial during the super bowl... I can also see it being just as he said.

It is funny that so many automatically assume the worst. Has he ever displayed any sort of 'gay bashing' tendencies before? I am not aware of any... but would be interested to learn if he has done so in the past. If no one can provide any other examples, then this is an over reaction and quite frankly absurd. If he has done so in the past, then it is justified and he should be suspended.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It was CNN Commentator language for sh*t... beat the ish... You don't curse, but you still insult gay people, that way you're cool for the fourteen year old children who still fear "different"...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    I have no idea what he meant by bash the ish out of them. But Martin is a football (American) fan and does like to bash football (we call it soccer).

Could he have been bashing gay men? Sure.

But a soccer star in a commercial during the super bowl... I can also see it being just as he said.

It is funny that so many automatically assume the worst. Has he ever displayed any sort of 'gay bashing' tendencies before? I am not aware of any... but would be interested to learn if he has done so in the past. If no one can provide any other examples, then this is an over reaction and quite frankly absurd. If he has done so in the past, then it is justified and he should be suspended.
    I saw people saying on twitter that he has made very anti-gay comments in the past. You need to get plugged in SF - twitter is where everything happens. It's the age of the twitterati!

But I really don't remember the specifics.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    It was CNN Commentator language for sh*t... beat the ish... You don't curse, but you still insult gay people, that way you're cool for the fourteen year old children who still fear "different"...
    I thought that was probably it.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

I got hyped over Beckham's H&M add but no one smacked the shit out of me. Not even my wife.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I don't remember the Ad. Although I liked the one where the idiot ran away from a cheetah rather than just getting in and closing the cage door... that one was funny. Stupid people make me laugh, even when it is just pretend.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I'm sure I'll get myself in trouble for asking this but I'll ask it anyway. Where do you draw the line for homophobia if one believes two men together sexually is disgusting and not a turn on but at the same time doesn't care if one is gay and what two men decide to do together sexually?

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I'm sure I'll get myself in trouble for asking this but I'll ask it anyway. Where do you draw the line for homophobia if one believes two men together sexually is disgusting and not a turn on but at the same time doesn't care if one is gay and what two men decide to do together sexually?
    Is it bashing that I get grossed out when ugly hetero couples suck face in public? Would I be self-bashing because I think ugly hetero couples should avoid doing that around food especially?

What you are grossed out by isn't really "bashing"...

And I really am grossed out by ugly people engaging in public displays of affection. The problem is, all men are ugly...
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Is it bashing that I get grossed out when ugly hetero couples suck face in public? Would I be self-bashing because I think ugly hetero couples should avoid doing that around food especially?

What you are grossed out by isn't really "bashing"...

And I really am grossed out by ugly people engaging in public displays of affection. The problem is, all men are ugly...
    I'll see some metrosexual guys walking around San Francisco and I'll say to myself 'what a p*ssy'. Or same thing if some guy is carrying a murse.

Is thinking a guy is 'soft' and not a man a form of homophobia?

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 3,823 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,543 Times in 3,270 Posts

I'll see some metrosexual guys walking around San Francisco and I'll say to myself 'what a p*ssy'. Or same thing if some guy is carrying a murse.

Is thinking a guy is 'soft' and not a man a form of homophobia?
    You are definatley a homophobe. A USC grad and a rightwinger in Cali. Shit you got enough problems picking up woman. You should be glad the good dressers and neat freaks aren't competing with you.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This reminds me of the time you asked what is the right thing to call a midget.

Just don't go there Cawacko!