Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42

Thread: George Tenet: Bu$hCo. Lied about my "Slam Dunk" comment

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,716
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default George Tenet: Bu$hCo. Lied about my "Slam Dunk" comment

    Tenet: "Slam Dunk" Comment Misused

    Ex-CIA Director Explains Phrase He Says Bush Administration Has Dishonorably Clung To

    (CBS) Ex-CIA Director George Tenet says the way the Bush administration has used his now famous "slam dunk" comment — which he admits saying in reference to making the public case for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq — is both disingenuous and dishonorable.

    It also ruined his reputation and his career, he tells 60 Minutes Scott Pelley in his first network television interview. Pelley's report will be broadcast Sunday, April 29, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

    The phrase "slam dunk" didn't refer to whether Saddam Hussein actually had WMDs, says Tenet; the CIA thought he did. He says he was talking about what information could be used to make that case when he uttered those words. "We can put a better case together for a public case. That's what I meant," explains Tenet.


    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2728375.shtml

  2. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    My shanty
    Posts
    52,839
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    More and more will be coming out of the woodwork. Bush might wind up being rated with Sadam.
    Last edited by uscitizen; 04-26-2007 at 09:35 PM.

  3. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    47,807
    Thanks
    5,171
    Thanked 6,773 Times in 5,207 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 3,746 Times in 3,338 Posts

    Default

    his book will be interesting

  4. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    73,504
    Thanks
    1,523
    Thanked 6,675 Times in 4,566 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 347 Times in 327 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Tenet: "Slam Dunk" Comment Misused

    Ex-CIA Director Explains Phrase He Says Bush Administration Has Dishonorably Clung To

    (CBS) Ex-CIA Director George Tenet says the way the Bush administration has used his now famous "slam dunk" comment — which he admits saying in reference to making the public case for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq — is both disingenuous and dishonorable.

    It also ruined his reputation and his career, he tells 60 Minutes Scott Pelley in his first network television interview. Pelley's report will be broadcast Sunday, April 29, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

    The phrase "slam dunk" didn't refer to whether Saddam Hussein actually had WMDs, says Tenet; the CIA thought he did. He says he was talking about what information could be used to make that case when he uttered those words. "We can put a better case together for a public case. That's what I meant," explains Tenet.


    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2728375.shtml
    When did Woodward become part of the administration? That comment is part of that great book presented to the public by Woodward.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

    Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

  5. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    6,905
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 275 Times in 106 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    When did Woodward become part of the administration? That comment is part of that great book presented to the public by Woodward.
    Tenet (isn't he a medal of freedom recipient?) is saying that the administration misrepresented his assertion, not woodward.

  6. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    73,504
    Thanks
    1,523
    Thanked 6,675 Times in 4,566 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 347 Times in 327 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Tenet (isn't he a medal of freedom recipient?) is saying that the administration misrepresented his assertion, not woodward.
    I understand. However the assertion came to light from Woodward's book. He had access, and was in the room.

    I haven't heard it from the Administration, just from the book.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

    Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

  7. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    6,905
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 275 Times in 106 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    I understand. However the assertion came to light from Woodward's book. He had access, and was in the room.

    I haven't heard it from the Administration, just from the book.

    Well, now you're hearing it from the horse's mouth.

    The assertion may well have come from Woodward's book, but what Tenet is saying is that the Admin took it like a Hail Mary and ran to the end zone with it.

    Realistically, assertions and journalistic license is taken all the time, all day long. So there's plenty of fodder for that discussion. But the fact that Woodward said it does not detract from the fact that he was scapegoated by the administration. Not in the least.

  8. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    73,504
    Thanks
    1,523
    Thanked 6,675 Times in 4,566 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 347 Times in 327 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Well, now you're hearing it from the horse's mouth.

    The assertion may well have come from Woodward's book, but what Tenet is saying is that the Admin took it like a Hail Mary and ran to the end zone with it.

    Realistically, assertions and journalistic license is taken all the time, all day long. So there's plenty of fodder for that discussion. But the fact that Woodward said it does not detract from the fact that he was scapegoated by the administration. Not in the least.
    I just don't remember anybody in the Admin stating that Tenet said it was a "Slam Dunk". The only time I have read or heard it other than in forums is in that book.

    I can see how it could be taken out of context. Either way saying, "It's a slam dunk to get people to buy into the war." or "It's a slam dunk that they have WMD." both are pretty bad.

    He also stated that the CIA thought he had them.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

    Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

  9. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    6,905
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 275 Times in 106 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    I just don't remember anybody in the Admin stating that Tenet said it was a "Slam Dunk". The only time I have read or heard it other than in forums is in that book.

    I can see how it could be taken out of context. Either way saying, "It's a slam dunk to get people to buy into the war." or "It's a slam dunk that they have WMD." both are pretty bad.

    He also stated that the CIA thought he had them.
    The spin machine was alive and well. They gambled on this guy, and if the wmd had shown up, he would have been their Messiah, and when they didn't he "stepped down" and got a medal of freedom.

    He is saying that after the feces hit the oscillator, he got thrown under the bus. He was the fall guy, and it sure looks that way to me, although the administration didn't count on the fire that was to follow.

    Either way you slice it, Tenet is saying that he was misconstrued by the administration with his slam dunk comment. And we both know that the administration could do whatever they wanted with that little tidbit.

    I give far more creedence (good or bad) to what the administration does over Bobby Woodward.

    And I have no love lost for Tenet either. He was less an architect that Wolfy or Cheney, but he took the biggest fall.

  10. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    27,159
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 674 Times in 478 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 129 Times in 118 Posts

    Default

    So "slum dunk" refers to the wmd case? WHo thought otherwise? This is a non-story.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    "Men think in herds, go mad in herds, but recover their senses one by one." -- Charles Mackay

    "AssHat rocks and is fun to have around." -- Damocles

  11. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    27,159
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 674 Times in 478 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 129 Times in 118 Posts

    Default

    I understand you bush-obsessed dems hate bush, but endlessly reinterpreting the past is not a substitute for good ideas relevant to the present.

    What IS your approach to terrorism? Compliance?
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    "Men think in herds, go mad in herds, but recover their senses one by one." -- Charles Mackay

    "AssHat rocks and is fun to have around." -- Damocles

  12. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    27,159
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 674 Times in 478 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 129 Times in 118 Posts

    Default

    Make the neocons wrong when they say "If we don't fight them in iraq, we wil fight them in america". Stop muslim immigration.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    "Men think in herds, go mad in herds, but recover their senses one by one." -- Charles Mackay

    "AssHat rocks and is fun to have around." -- Damocles

  13. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    My shanty
    Posts
    52,839
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    So "slum dunk" refers to the wmd case? WHo thought otherwise? This is a non-story.
    That sounds so Toby....

  14. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    My shanty
    Posts
    52,839
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    I understand you bush-obsessed dems hate bush, but endlessly reinterpreting the past is not a substitute for good ideas relevant to the present.

    What IS your approach to terrorism? Compliance?
    My approach to terrorism is to respond accordingly, not invade and occupy and oil rich country based on the lie of terroristic involvement in 911.
    Going into afganistan in the manner we did was acceptable to me, but Iraq was NOT!

  15. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    14,891
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 124 Times in 69 Posts
    Groans
    4
    Groaned 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I don't think this fool should highlight that he thinks of "the case" for the existence of WMDs was completely separate from there actually being WMDs in Iraq.

    He thinks its okay that he tried to sell us on something he doesn't seem to stand by now?

Similar Threads

  1. McCain tries to spin "fundamentals are sound" comment
    By Onceler in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-15-2008, 09:28 PM
  2. Interesting comment on Hillary's "victory speech" yesterday
    By Little-Acorn in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 04:11 PM
  3. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-03-2006, 10:30 AM
  4. Replies: 81
    Last Post: 09-25-2006, 07:02 PM
  5. George "MACACA" Allen's Friends
    By Prakosh in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-31-2006, 09:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •