Thread: George Tenet: Bu$hCo. Lied about my "Slam Dunk" comment

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LadyT View Post
    I don't think this fool should highlight that he thinks of "the case" for the existence of WMDs was completely separate from there actually being WMDs in Iraq.

He thinks its okay that he tried to sell us on something he doesn't seem to stand by now?
    There ya go. That was what I was saying. Either of the statements is bad, I think the "new" interpretation is worse.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries

.....I'm not saying there actually were WMDs.......but I could convince the american people there is one and it'd be a slam dunk.......

Ummm yeah, that makes everything okay.

I'm glad his careers ruined. I wonder if he could be charged with fraud.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,285 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    I understand. However the assertion came to light from Woodward's book. He had access, and was in the room.

I haven't heard it from the Administration, just from the book.

I don't think woodward was in the room when it happened. It was reported to him by adminstration officials, and evidently Tenet never denied that he said the words "slam dunk".

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I hope this slimy POS book sales burn in he**

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I don't think woodward was in the room when it happened. It was reported to him by adminstration officials, and evidently Tenet never denied that he said the words "slam dunk".
    That makes some sense. But I had the impression that Woodward had "unprecedented access" to write his book.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,619 Times in 21,482 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

I just don't remember anybody in the Admin stating that Tenet said it was a "Slam Dunk". The only time I have read or heard it other than in forums is in that book.

I can see how it could be taken out of context. Either way saying, "It's a slam dunk to get people to buy into the war." or "It's a slam dunk that they have WMD." both are pretty bad.

He also stated that the CIA thought he had them.
    I have heard Cheney say it plenty of times. In fact on televisoin last night they showed a clip of him saying it on hardball.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just don't remember anybody in the Admin stating that Tenet said it was a "Slam Dunk". The only time I have read or heard it other than in forums is in that book.

I can see how it could be taken out of context. Either way saying, "It's a slam dunk to get people to buy into the war." or "It's a slam dunk that they have WMD." both are pretty bad.

He also stated that the CIA thought he had them.
    Cheney said it. Cheney quoted Tenent on that. Not that I believe Tenant anymore than I believe Cheney. I do not.

It's interesting when the snakes begin to hiss at each other.

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    Cheney said it. Cheney quoted Tenent on that. Not that I believe Tenant anymore than I believe Cheney. I do not.

It's interesting when the snakes begin to hiss at each other.
    I find it fascinating that he "corrected" them into what I believe is a worse statement.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

9. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,619 Times in 21,482 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

Rice has been on television using that phrase for cover all over the place. They showed several clips of it last night.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

10. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I find it fascinating that he "corrected" them into what I believe is a worse statement.
    He is as big a sleaze as any of them and as far as I am concerned, when you have a group of pathological liars, and one of them perceives himself to have been the fallguy, then you are never going to know who really said what, because they're all liars. The war is a lie. Tenant knew it as well as anybody, but I guess this will sell him some books.

11. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LadyT View Post
    .....I'm not saying there actually were WMDs.......but I could convince the american people there is one and it'd be a slam dunk.......

Ummm yeah, that makes everything okay.

I'm glad his careers ruined. I wonder if he could be charged with fraud.
    Tenet is far from blameless. He put his loyalty to bush, above and beyond his loyalty to the independence of his intelligence agency.

But I knew a long time ago that BushCo. was lying about the slam dunk comment. Because I posted what Tenet's deputy CIA director said: that the Bushies totally misrepresented what Tenet was saying to Woodward and to the american people.

12. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Rice has been on television using that phrase for cover all over the place. They showed several clips of it last night.
    Yes. I suppose Tenant does have some reason to believe he was used as a fallguy, because they did do that, and they have repeated that slam dunk phrase.

13. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm with you on that 110%.

14. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Tenet is far from blameless. He put his loyalty to bush, above and beyond his loyalty to the independence of his intelligence agency.

But I knew a long time ago that BushCo. was lying about the slam dunk comment. Because I posted what Tenet's deputy CIA director said: that the Bushies totally misrepresented what Tenet was saying to Woodward and to the american people.
    Well, from Busch&Cos perspective, one could chalk it up to word twisting. However, I totally agree with Damo on this one. He seems like a bigger deuche to me now.

Not that Bush doesn't deserve it, but I'm finding it almost trendy for officials to put the blame on the Bush team now for everything as means of absolving themselves of any responsibility in regards to their wrong doings. Here's a clear case where he was part of the lie, no matter how much he wants to twist the verbiage around as far as I'm concerned he's more than outed himself. He is no better than Richard "shoot 'em in the face" Cheney no matter what he claims the context of his statement was in - personally I'm not buying his sanctimonious BS.

15. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Indeed Tiana, Tenet is an asswipe.

My point was that the slam dunk comment, was totally misrepresented by bush apologists. Is tenet lying and twisting words? I doubt it. His own Deputy CIA director (I forget his name) went on 60 Minutes (?) last year, and also said the Bu$hCo. totally misrepresented Tenet's comment about the slam dunk.