Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Default George Tenet: Bu$hCo. Lied about my "Slam Dunk" comment

Tenet: "Slam Dunk" Comment Misused

Ex-CIA Director Explains Phrase He Says Bush Administration Has Dishonorably Clung To

(CBS) Ex-CIA Director George Tenet says the way the Bush administration has used his now famous "slam dunk" comment — which he admits saying in reference to making the public case for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq — is both disingenuous and dishonorable.

It also ruined his reputation and his career, he tells 60 Minutes Scott Pelley in his first network television interview. Pelley's report will be broadcast Sunday, April 29, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

The phrase "slam dunk" didn't refer to whether Saddam Hussein actually had WMDs, says Tenet; the CIA thought he did. He says he was talking about what information could be used to make that case when he uttered those words. "We can put a better case together for a public case. That's what I meant," explains Tenet.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2728375.shtml

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

More and more will be coming out of the woodwork. Bush might wind up being rated with Sadam.
    Last edited by uscitizen; 04-26-2007 at 08:35 PM.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

his book will be interesting

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,529 Times in 10,534 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Tenet: "Slam Dunk" Comment Misused

Ex-CIA Director Explains Phrase He Says Bush Administration Has Dishonorably Clung To

(CBS) Ex-CIA Director George Tenet says the way the Bush administration has used his now famous "slam dunk" comment — which he admits saying in reference to making the public case for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq — is both disingenuous and dishonorable.

It also ruined his reputation and his career, he tells 60 Minutes Scott Pelley in his first network television interview. Pelley's report will be broadcast Sunday, April 29, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

The phrase "slam dunk" didn't refer to whether Saddam Hussein actually had WMDs, says Tenet; the CIA thought he did. He says he was talking about what information could be used to make that case when he uttered those words. "We can put a better case together for a public case. That's what I meant," explains Tenet.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2728375.shtml
    When did Woodward become part of the administration? That comment is part of that great book presented to the public by Woodward.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    When did Woodward become part of the administration? That comment is part of that great book presented to the public by Woodward.
    Tenet (isn't he a medal of freedom recipient?) is saying that the administration misrepresented his assertion, not woodward.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Tenet (isn't he a medal of freedom recipient?) is saying that the administration misrepresented his assertion, not woodward.
    I understand. However the assertion came to light from Woodward's book. He had access, and was in the room.

I haven't heard it from the Administration, just from the book.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts

I understand. However the assertion came to light from Woodward's book. He had access, and was in the room.

Well, now you're hearing it from the horse's mouth.

The assertion may well have come from Woodward's book, but what Tenet is saying is that the Admin took it like a Hail Mary and ran to the end zone with it.

Realistically, assertions and journalistic license is taken all the time, all day long. So there's plenty of fodder for that discussion. But the fact that Woodward said it does not detract from the fact that he was scapegoated by the administration. Not in the least.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Well, now you're hearing it from the horse's mouth.

The assertion may well have come from Woodward's book, but what Tenet is saying is that the Admin took it like a Hail Mary and ran to the end zone with it.

Realistically, assertions and journalistic license is taken all the time, all day long. So there's plenty of fodder for that discussion. But the fact that Woodward said it does not detract from the fact that he was scapegoated by the administration. Not in the least.
    I just don't remember anybody in the Admin stating that Tenet said it was a "Slam Dunk". The only time I have read or heard it other than in forums is in that book.

I can see how it could be taken out of context. Either way saying, "It's a slam dunk to get people to buy into the war." or "It's a slam dunk that they have WMD." both are pretty bad.

He also stated that the CIA thought he had them.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

I don't think woodward was in the room when it happened. It was reported to him by adminstration officials, and evidently Tenet never denied that he said the words "slam dunk".

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I don't think woodward was in the room when it happened. It was reported to him by adminstration officials, and evidently Tenet never denied that he said the words "slam dunk".
    That makes some sense. But I had the impression that Woodward had "unprecedented access" to write his book.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,126 Times in 9,657 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 503 Times in 476 Posts
    Blog Entries

I understand you bush-obsessed dems hate bush, but endlessly reinterpreting the past is not a substitute for good ideas relevant to the present.

What IS your approach to terrorism? Compliance?

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    I understand you bush-obsessed dems hate bush, but endlessly reinterpreting the past is not a substitute for good ideas relevant to the present.

What IS your approach to terrorism? Compliance?
    My approach to terrorism is to respond accordingly, not invade and occupy and oil rich country based on the lie of terroristic involvement in 911.
    Going into afganistan in the manner we did was acceptable to me, but Iraq was NOT!

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    My approach to terrorism is to respond accordingly, not invade and occupy and oil rich country based on the lie of terroristic involvement in 911.
    Going into afganistan in the manner we did was acceptable to me, but Iraq was NOT!

Respond accordingly. What IS the immigration policy of terrorist supporting nations?

Non sectarian governance is something that we must be vigilant to maintain in a world of Islamic militance.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Make the neocons wrong when they say "If we don't fight them in iraq, we wil fight them in america". Stop muslim immigration.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't think this fool should highlight that he thinks of "the case" for the existence of WMDs was completely separate from there actually being WMDs in Iraq.

He thinks its okay that he tried to sell us on something he doesn't seem to stand by now?