Thread: MIT Dean Lies About Her Resume & Gets Fired - 28 years later

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default MIT Dean Lies About Her Resume & Gets Fired - 28 years later

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americ...ean/index.html

"The dean of admissions at one of America's most prestigious schools resigned on Thursday after the university discovered she had lied about her academic credentials............Jones was named dean of admissions at MIT in 1997 and received MIT's highest award for administrators, the "MIT Excellence Award for Leading Change." She was also the 2006 winner of the "Gordon Y Billard Award" given "for special service of outstanding merit" performed for the school."

She must be pretty smart to have pulled it off. She probably bragged to the wrong people or she had a jealous ex.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

This was an amazing story wasn't it?

Someone tipped the university to it last week. I was wondering who.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

I could never understand why someone lies about their academic credentials. It wouldn't even occur to me to pad them on a resume. I mean, I'm sure this woman wasn't a high school drop out. She must have had some type of college degree(s).

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

they said she didn't have a degree from any of the three schools she listed so she's prob non degreed.
    I've seen this a few times before and almost always they are non degreed.
    Sad, but facts are facts escpecially lying in an admissions office where she has to turn kids down daily.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I think Top is right. My boyfriend's uncle does that and he's conned himself to being a sales exec at many companies. And apparently is doing pretty well.

I wonder how many more years she would have until she was able to collect a pension. I kind of feel sorry for her. She was obviously qualified despite not having the background but that's life and that's why you don't lie about stuff like.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LadyT View Post
    I think Top is right. My boyfriend's uncle does that and he's conned himself to being a sales exec at many companies. And apparently is doing pretty well.

I wonder how many more years she would have until she was able to collect a pension. I kind of feel sorry for her. She was obviously qualified despite not having the background but that's life and that's why you don't lie about stuff like.
    She's probably qualified but that's no slam-dunk. Not even a George Tenet slam-dunk. Too many bad administrators hang on year after year in academia. I've seen it often and I'm sure Trog has too.

She lied and I suppose that's probably a firing offense. If, however, her job performance has been above average over the years, I honestly think she ought to be given a break by the University.

We're beginning to become more like Europe in at least one negative way. More and more American institutions -- academic, business and governmental -- are beginning to rate credentials -- and lack of credentials -- over performance.
    "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
    -- V

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OrnotBitwise View Post
    We're beginning to become more like Europe in at least one negative way. More and more American institutions -- academic, business and governmental -- are beginning to rate credentials -- and lack of credentials -- over performance.
    A friend of mine from Paris was in teh city last night and we were talking about this very thing. She's 28 and was studying math for years and in order for her to get a job in finance, she had to back and take finance classes and get a masters. I'm like, "are you kidding me?" But you've hit the nail on the head. I too would be inclined to give her abreak, but I'm lefty who's soft on crime...what do I know?

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

If she has performed well over 28 years of service I would not fire her for padding the resume to get the original job. I value results over credentials in every case.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

9. #9 | Top
    TRGLDTE Guest

She won the highest award for service, so she was obviously very capable. Damn shame.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte27 View Post
    She won the highest award for service, so she was obviously very capable. Damn shame.
    Good point. I missed that little nugget the first time.
    "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
    -- V

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LadyT View Post

All successful sales people are con artists....

12. #12 | Top
    TRGLDTE Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OrnotBitwise View Post
    Good point. I missed that little nugget the first time.
    The situation totally sucks - she likely would not have been hired without the degrees she lied about. Once in the job though, looking at a variety of sources, she accomplished the goals rather well.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte27 View Post
    The situation totally sucks - she likely would not have been hired without the degrees she lied about. Once in the job though, looking at a variety of sources, she accomplished the goals rather well.
    I agree. There should be the equivalent of a statute of limitations applied here. As pointed out, she'd received awards for the quality of her work and apparently had done her job for 28 years with no problems. Reprimanded, perhaps, though the embarrassment of the publicity should be reprimand enough. Firing or forced resignation -- not under the circumstances.
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm still wondering who spilled the beans. I wonder if she's recently divorced?

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Disgruntled rejected applicant?

Maybe she got drunk one night and started running her mouth?

....I could go on.