Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will World War III be between the U.S. and China?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Will World War III be between the U.S. and China?

Low, I would especially be interested in what you have to say about this article by Max Hastings. I was in Saigon earlier this year and I watched some protesters carrying banners denouncing China's intention to try and take over the Spratly Islands. Currently the Philippines, China and Vietnam have all got claims on the islands but China is acting like a big bully in the playground.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...U-S-China.html

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

No. I was actually having a rather long conversation about this the other night. China cannot back up their claim to the Spratlys, nor would it be smart for them to try. The only possible avenue of military expansion China has is S.E Asia or India.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

3. #3 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

They already own the USA.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 555 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'd say the chances of WW3 declined, somewhat terminally, on August 6th 1945.

It's all about the regional war nowadays. World wars are, like, the olden days, Grandpa.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to charver For This Post:

/MSG/ (11-26-2011), Cancel 2018. 3 (11-26-2011), Minister of Truth (11-27-2011), The Dude (11-26-2011)

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charver View Post
    I'd say the chances of WW3 declined, somewhat terminally, on August 6th 1945.

It's all about the regional war nowadays. World wars are, like, the olden days, Grandpa.
    you make a good point and the cold war seems to bolster this point. i don't know if i'm ready to agree to 'terminally', however, the chances are far less since the world has gained access to the nuclear weapon. i don't believe, however, that another world war is 'somewhat' terminal, both world wars were not predicted.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eye View Post
    you make a good point and the cold war seems to bolster this point. i don't know if i'm ready to agree to 'terminally', however, the chances are far less since the world has gained access to the nuclear weapon. i don't believe, however, that another world war is 'somewhat' terminal, both world wars were not predicted.
    WWI was certainly very predictable with the GB vs. Germany arms race and the, rather polite, assignment of sides in the years preceding actual war.

In the same way WWII was a possibility, which became a probability due to some rather bad decision making.

As a race we're particularly stupid but, call me old fashioned, but i'm putting my trust in the theory of self preservation in this nuclear age.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Would really be more like the apocalypse than one of those incidents we had early in the last century.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Wow, pretty much the only inhabitants of the islands are military expeditions from people trying to claim it. They are ma
    king quite a big deal about such a thing.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Nero View Post
    Would really be more like the apocalypse than one of those incidents we had early in the last century.
    That's assuming either belligerents go nuclear, which is unlikely for a multitude of reasons.
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Septimius Severus View Post
    That's assuming either belligerents go nuclear, which is unlikely for a multitude of reasons.
    Well, if it's contained to Vietnam, China, and The Phillipines, it'd be a curb stomp. From American experiences in the region, it's unlikely that China could occupy and replace the government of either country. But it's not a war that the Phillipines or Vietnam could win. The most they could hope to do is strike hard enough that China decides this is all pointless and retreats, as happened in China's Vietname "war" in the late 70's. But the China of today is much stronger than the China of the 70's.

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

WWI was certainly very predictable with the GB vs. Germany arms race and the, rather polite, assignment of sides in the years preceding actual war.

In the same way WWII was a possibility, which became a probability due to some rather bad decision making.

As a race we're particularly stupid but, call me old fashioned, but i'm putting my trust in the theory of self preservation in this nuclear age.
    you intertwine possibility with predictability. they are two very different concepts.

WWI was not predicted. and i'm not talking about just a few months prior, i'm talking about the same time frame tom is in the OP. i can't predict a train is going to run you over, but if i see you standing on the tracks whil[st]e a train is 1 second away from hitting you, then i can safely say, my prediction that you would get hit is spot on.

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eye View Post
    you intertwine possibility with predictability. they are two very different concepts.

WWI was not predicted. and i'm not talking about just a few months prior, i'm talking about the same time frame tom is in the OP. i can't predict a train is going to run you over, but if i see you standing on the tracks whil[st]e a train is 1 second away from hitting you, then i can safely say, my prediction that you would get hit is spot on.
    If you buy into the Fischer thesis then WWI was not only predicted but was the actual goal of Germany in the years preceding 1914.

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Nero View Post
    Well, if it's contained to Vietnam, China, and The Phillipines, it'd be a curb stomp. From American experiences in the region, it's unlikely that China could occupy and replace the government of either country. But it's not a war that the Phillipines or Vietnam could win. The most they could hope to do is strike hard enough that China decides this is all pointless and retreats, as happened in China's Vietname "war" in the late 70's. But the China of today is much stronger than the China of the 70's.
    China is also far more contained, and far less experienced. They are completely unable to effect a claim on the Philippines so the only option would be a costly land invasion on Vietnam. We, America, wouldn't give a damn but China outsources a lot to Vietnam and also gets a good portion of its food there. China has no real option here.

15. #14 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Just the other day we were all treated to a history lesson by Professor Dixie...he informed us that the Soviet Union did not exist during WWII.

Maybe if WWIII starts, he will favor us with an update.

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

If you buy into the Fischer thesis then WWI was not only predicted but was the actual goal of Germany in the years preceding 1914.
    Germany supposedly had very draconian goals for the war, that were incredibly imperialistic and exceeded even the Vienna convention. However, this may just be propoganda on the part of the allies in order to justify their draconian impositions on Germany at the end of the war. All I know is that it was the dumbest war in history.