2. The Following User Says Thank You to icedancer2theend For This Post:

DamnYankee (10-19-2011)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yet somehow belief in a supreme being that controls everything and also came out of nothing is OK?

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 149 Times in 138 Posts

Alpha and Omega. God's personal claim of existence. Meaning he did not come into being- he always was. And yes, belief in a personal being with creative power, that has always existed, is OK.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icedancer2theend For This Post:

DamnYankee (10-19-2011), Rationalist (10-16-2011)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by icedancer2theend View Post
    Alpha and Omega. God's personal claim of existence. Meaning he did not come into being- he always was. And yes, belief in a personal being with creative power, that has always existed, is OK.
    I haven't a clue as to what any of that means. I have always found it strange that God is referred to as he, is there a Mrs. God, does he have brothers and sisters? Why would a supreme being have a sex at all?

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Aoxomoxoa View Post
    I haven't a clue as to what any of that means. I have always found it strange that God is referred to as he, is there a Mrs. God, does he have brothers and sisters? Why would a supreme being have a sex at all?
    Of course you don't know what any of that means. You can always be counted on to comment about that which you are not knowledgeable of. The masculine pronoun is a common linguistic tool. Only used to communicate a personal nature. But do let me help you out.

In the Hebrew Bible (and in translations to languages with a she/he dichotomy) God is referred to as "he". God might be a 'He' in the Bible but non-Hebrew-literate individuals do not always know that in Hebrew language, grammatical gender is NOT an indicator of actual gender. Hebrew nouns have grammatical gender. Each object is masculine or feminine. There are no gender-neutral pronouns in Hebrew, i.e. there is no equivalent of the English "it". Everything is a "he" or a "she".

The spirit of God Ruach Elohim (Genesis 1:2) is a feminine noun. So is the Shekhinah - the Presence of God. Does this mean the Spirit of God and the Presence of God are female?

Take for example the word "animal" -- hayyah in Hebrew. Hayyah is a feminine noun. Therefore, by the rules of Hebrew grammar, whenever people speak of a hayyah, they have to refer to it as "she". This does not indicate that the animal in question is actually female.

Since the titles for God in the Hebrew Bible (Elohim, El, Adonai) are masculine nouns, God is called "he". A book sefer is a masculine noun too. So a book is also called "he". God is no more male than a book is male.

In Chinese, a language with gender-neutral pronouns, a special genderless pronoun is used in reference to divinity (roughly equivalent to IT). When translating the Bible into Chinese, using "he" to reference God was out of the question because the Chinese character for "he" contained the character "human". (Chinese characters are picture-words that may consist of other Chinese characters.) To bring God to the level of man was blasphemous.

Jesus said to the Samaritan woman, "God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth." (John 4:24)

Too often, humans have projected their own image of oppressive manhood onto God. People in power (usually men) assume that God must think, act and feel the way they do, and less powerful minorities often respond by rejecting God when what they really have issue with is not God but the majority-sanctioned ideas of God. Insisting that God's personality and preferences mirrors that of humans (or at least the men of more privileged classes), is at best, making the mistake that Luther believed Erasmus was making at the time he told Erasmus, "Your God is too human", or worse, committing idolatry by casting God in man's image.
    Does gender have a place in the spirit world?

Jesus' reply to the Sadducees on the question of whose wife a woman would be at the resurrection, if she had seven husbands in her lifetime:

Luke 20:34-36

Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the Scriptures, neither the power of God? For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven.

Galatians 3:28 states: "...there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus."

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 272 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sure as hell makes more sense than fairies in the sky. But dont let that worry you. You are as entitled to put your money on the Grand Fairy of Bacup and his twin masters Gog and Magog as anything else.
    Interesting this should come up as we are being introduced to the Alma telescope in Chile, which in time will probe all the bits of existence of which you are sufficiently ignorant to believe in a god made by man who looks like man and who thinks like man with man logic.
    I just wonder whether you are representative of the 'end game' in the battle between organised religion and intelligence.
    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/blog.php?u=237
    If you feel so inclined a comment would be appreciated.

Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lowaicue For This Post:

Phantasmal (10-04-2011)

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Christianity:

The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

11. The Following User Groans At Damocles For This Awful Post:

DamnYankee (10-19-2011)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

/MSG/ (10-05-2011), FUCK THE POLICE (10-05-2011), Phantasmal (10-04-2011)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

At least some people are humorous.

Christianity:

The belief that a being greater then any being, created human kind in His image. He did so, not because he had to, but because he is an artist. He required only that they rule the garden he created for them and enjoy it and Him. His one caveat to test them for their fidelity, was not to eat from a single tree- Being tempted by another creation who rebelled, they to rebelled. God being a just God who cannot look upon evil had told them the consequence of disobedience and sentenced them to die- and that day they died spiritually and all their prodigy with them- but desiring to save this creation from ultimate destruction- God promised salvation in a Messiah.

I. There is but one only,[1] living, and true God,[2] who is infinite in being and perfection,[3] a most pure spirit,[4] invisible,[5] without body, parts,[6] or passions;[7] immutable,[8] immense,[9] eternal,[10] incomprehensible,[11] almighty,[12] most wise,[13] most holy,[14] most free,[15] most absolute;[16] working all things according to the counsel of His own immutable and most righteous will,[17] for His own glory;[18] most loving,[19] gracious, merciful, long-suffering, abundant in goodness and truth, forgiving iniquity, transgression, and sin;[20] the rewarder of them that diligently seek Him;[21] and withal, most just, and terrible in His judgments,[22] hating all sin,[23] and who will by no means clear the guilty.[24]

II. God has all life,[25] glory,[26] goodness,[27] blessedness,[28] in and of Himself; and is alone in and unto Himself all-sufficient, not standing in need of any creatures which He has made,[29] nor deriving any glory from them,[30] but only manifesting His own glory in, by, unto, and upon them. He is the alone fountain of all being, of whom, through whom, and to whom are all things;[31] and has most sovereign dominion over them, to do by them, for them, or upon them whatsoever Himself pleases.[32] In His sight all things are open and manifest,[33] His knowledge is infinite, infallible, and independent upon the creature,[34] so as nothing is to Him contingent, or uncertain.[35] He is most holy in all His counsels, in all His works, and in all His commands.[36] To Him is due from angels and men, and every other creature, whatsoever worship, service, or obedience He is pleased to require of them.[37]

III. In the unity of the Godhead there be three Persons of one substance, power, and eternity: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost.[38] The Father is of none, neither begotten nor proceeding; the Son is eternally begotten of the Father; [39] the Holy Ghost eternally proceeding from the Father and the Son. [40]

[1] DEU 6:4 Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord. 1CO 8:4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God by one. 6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

[2] 1TH 1:9 For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols, to serve the living and true God. JER 10:10 But the Lord is the true God, he is the living God, and an everlasting King.

[3] JOB 11:7 Canst thou by searching find out God? canst thou find out the Almighty unto perfection? 8 It is as high as heaven; what canst thou do? deeper than hell; what canst thou know? 9 The measure thereof is longer than the earth, and broader than the sea. 26:14 Lo, these are parts of his ways; but how little a portion is heard of him? but the thunder of his power who can understand?

[4] JOH 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

[5] 1TI 1:17 Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

[6] DEU 4:15 Take ye therefore good heed unto yourselves; for ye saw no manner of similitude on the day that the Lord spake unto you in Horeb out of the midst of the fire: 16 Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the similitude of any figure, the likeness of male or female. JOH 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. LUK 24:39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

[7] ACT 14:11 And when the people saw what Paul had done, they lifted up their voices, saying in the speech of Lycaonia, The gods are come down to us in the likeness of men. 15 And saying, Sirs, why do ye these things? We also are men of like passions with you, and preach unto you that ye should turn from these vanities unto the living God, which made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all things that are therein.

[8] JAM 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. MAL 3:6 For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

[9] 1KI 8:27 But will God indeed dwell on the earth? behold, the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain thee; how much less this house that I have builded? JER 23:23 Am I a God at hand, saith the Lord, and not a God afar off? 24 Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the Lord. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the Lord.

[10] PSA 90:2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. 1TI 1:17 Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

[11] PSA 145:3 Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable.

[12] GEN 17:1 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect. REV 4:8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.

[13] ROM 16:27 To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.

[14] ISA 6:3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory. REV 4:8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.

[15] PSA 115:3 But our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased.

[16] EXO 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you.

[17] EPH 1:11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will.

[18] PRO 16:4 The Lord hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil. ROM 11:36 For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.

[19] 1JO 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. 16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

[20] EXO 34:6 And the Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed, The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, 7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

[21] HEB 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

[22] NEH 9:32 Now therefore, our God, the great, the mighty, and the terrible God, who keepest covenant and mercy, let not all the trouble seem little before thee, that hath come upon us, on our kings, on our princes, and on our priests, and on our prophets, and on our fathers, and on all thy people, since the time of the kings of Assyria unto this day. 33 Howbeit thou art just in all that is brought upon us; for thou hast done right, but we have done wickedly.

[23] PSA 5:5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity. 6 Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the Lord will abhor the bloody and deceitful man.

[24] NAH 1:2 God is jealous, and the Lord revengeth; the Lord revengeth, and is furious; the Lord will take vengeance on his adversaries, and he reserveth wrath for his enemies. 3 The Lord is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the Lord hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet. EXO 34:7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

[25] JOH 5:26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself.

[26] ACT 7:2 And he said, Men, brethren, and fathers, hearken; The God of glory appeared unto our father Abraham, when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Charran.

[27] PSA 119:68 Thou art good, and doest good; teach me thy statutes.

[28] 1TI 6:15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords. ROM 9:5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.

[29] ACT 17:24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; 25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things.

[30] JOB 22:2 Can a man be profitable unto God, as he that is wise may be profitable unto himself? 3 Is it any pleasure to the Almighty, that thou art righteous? or is it gain to him that thou makest thy ways perfect?

[31] ROM 11:36 For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.

[32] REV 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. 1TI 6:15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords. DAN 4:25 That they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field, and they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and they shall wet thee with the dew of heaven, and seven times shall pass over thee, till thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will. 35 And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?

[33] HEB 4:13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

[34] ROM 11:33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! 34 For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor? PSA 147:5 Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.

[35] ACT 15:18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world. EZE 11:5 And the Spirit of the Lord fell upon me, and said unto me, Speak; Thus saith the Lord; Thus have ye said, O house of Israel: for I know the things that come into your mind, every one of them.

[36] PSA 145:17 The Lord is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works. ROM 7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

[37] REV 5:12 Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing. 13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever. 14 And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.

[38] (Traditionally, I John 5:7 is placed here, but we have, for obvious reasons, omitted it in our online edition) MATT 3:16-17 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. MATT 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. II COR 13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.

[39] JOHN 1:14,18 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

[40] JOHN 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, He shall testify of me. GAL 4:6 And Because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icedancer2theend For This Post:

DamnYankee (10-19-2011), Dixie - In Memoriam (10-19-2011)

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Christianity:

The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.
    Now if IceDancerRoundTheBend had said that then it would have been perfectly obvious, thanks for clearing up the confusion.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Rune (10-16-2011)

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 272 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries

Eric: 3: 34.5. And it came to pass that Albert Clogwhistle took the road from Rawtenstall which led unto Bacup. And as night fell, lo he was sore afraid and he looked into the dark thunder clouds that loomed above Haslinden. An chariot appeared to him and carried the twin gods Gog and Magog.
    Eric: 3:34.6 Albert Clogwhistle's eyes were struck sightless and there appeared from a small cottage next to Waterfoot mill an old man.
    Ely: 11: 4-7 And he was an hairy man and did have long hair and wore clothes of rude hessian and he carried in an small bag a squirrel. And Albert spoke unto the hairy man and sayeth unto him, 'Ey up, what' tha got thee're?'
    And the squirrel replied unto Albert, 'Behold, I have brought unto you an hairy man who is the Fairy of Bacup'. And Albert Clogwhistle sunk unto his knees and said unto the hairy man, 'I will follow thee all 't days of my life and I will bring unto thee other men who doubt the holy words of the squirrel.
    Gladys 4: 48-51 And when Albert arrived in Bacup he saw the gathered throng waiting for him outside the felt factory. And the said unto him, each man in turn, 'we will follow thee lord, as long as we shall live.'
    And Albert said unto them, 'i am the one who prepares the way. Tha must follow the squirrel and through him unto the grand Fairy of Bacup, whose mam knows the lords Gog and Magog.
    And the throng was in awe and raised their hands into the air and said together, 'we shall follow the squirrel for ever for through him can we speak unto the Grand Fairy of Bacup whose hand prepared and wrote the true words of Gog and Magog and bound them in one volume which we can buy at Watersons on a special 3 for 2 offer. Then said Albert, 'Each man must eat of the holy pie and peas in remembrance of me. And so it was and still is to this day.
    And Albert Clogwhistle thereupon took up his holy Bic and fashioned him an excercise book which was very cheap as the weights and measures on the back cover were in imperial measure. Therein did he write the holy book and he wrote inside the front cover, 'The words held herein are the true words of Gog and Magog as told to his holy prophet the Grand Fairy of Bacup and translated by the Hon. Albert Clogwhistle.'
    Albert made a lot of money selling his book... which was exactly why he wrote it really. I know this is the true word of our beloved twin gods through whom you will come to paradise.
    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/blog.php?u=237
    If you feel so inclined a comment would be appreciated.

Respect a believers right to believe, but they should damn well repect our right to challenge such utterly illogical notions.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lowaicue For This Post:

Damocles (10-04-2011)

19. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yet somehow belief in a supreme being that controls everything and also came out of nothing is OK?
    I don't believe there is any religion that believes it's deity came out of nothing.....can you cite an example?......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

20. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Now if IceDancerRoundTheBend had said that then it would have been perfectly obvious, thanks for clearing up the confusion.
    Yes, tom, your ability to be confused is infamous- blow dolls having been your mainstay so long, a real pussy is only obvious to you when your wife asks if you are done yet~

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I don't believe there is any religion that believes it's deity came out of nothing.....can you cite an example?......
    So where do they come from then?

22. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes, tom, your ability to be confused is infamous- blow dolls having been your mainstay so long, a real pussy is only obvious to you when your wife asks if you are done yet~
    Fascinating how you derail your own thread with sexual innuendo.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Phantasmal (10-04-2011)

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Fascinating how you derail your own thread with sexual innuendo.
    Innuendo? It seemed a pretty straight forward sexual slam post to me- but do let me work on being less subtle just for you~ If you can't take the heat tom...
    Last edited by icedancer2theend; 10-04-2011 at 02:37 PM.