Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting the Record Straight

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 149 Times in 138 Posts

Default Setting the Record Straight

WOW- this story deserves to be told~

My father, former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, has been in politics as long as I can remember.

And as long as I can remember, media coverage about him has contained misstatements of facts. The vast majority are simple mistakes that are easily corrected, understood and rewoven into an ongoing storyline.

But one of them seems to have taken on a life of its own, and simple corrections have not sufficed to set the record straight. Why does this happen? I can't be sure, but I suspect that the narrative created by these untruths proves to be so much more compelling and more dramatic than what actually happened that it proves irresistible.

I'm talking about the story of my father's visit to my mother while she was in the hospital in 1980.

link

2. The Following User Says Thank You to icedancer2theend For This Post:

Annie (10-02-2011)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,530 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wow. That is actually quite enlightening.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I had always read and been told that she died of cancer. Come to find out she never had cancer; she did not die; and they were separated before she had her benign tumor removed.

5. #4 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Quote Originally Posted by icedancer2theend View Post
    I had always read and been told that she died of cancer. Come to find out she never had cancer; she did not die; and they were separated before she had her benign tumor removed.

Never had cancer? Looks like righties can't keep their stories straight...

Mom was first diagnosed with cancer in the spring of 1978
    . She remembers going into her closet, crying and praying that she would live long enough for their children (my sister and me) to graduate high school.

Her prayers were answered: She's been given 27 more years and shows no sign of slowing down.

My father lost his first two congressional campaigns. After undergoing surgery and radiation, Mom and her two children continued to hit the campaign trail with him, determined to win.

Professional success did not secure personal success. In order to raise her two girls in an environment that she thought best for them, Mom asked for a divorce in the spring of 1980. When I asked her recently if she had made the right decision, her response was immediate: "No doubt about it. I never regretted it."

In 2005, Mom was diagnosed with cancer a second time. After enduring surgery and chemotherapy, she ended up in a nursing home, her body exhausted by the treatment. After my sister and I had moved her in, we drove away crying, thinking that she would not make it out. But Mom never gave up hope, defied the odds, and -- through hard work and prayer -- moved into assisted living, then back into her own home, where she still lives.

http://townhall.com/columnists/jacki...my_miracle_mom

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2715525/posts

Yeah, what a tower of family values this man is. How proud the Religious Right must be.

Jackie Battley was his high school geometry teacher...

Six months after the divorce from Battley was final, Gingrich wed Marianne Ginther in 1981.

In the mid-1990s, Gingrich began an affair with House of Representatives staffer Callista Bisek, who is 23 years his junior.

They continued their affair during the Lewinsky scandal, when Gingrich became a leader of the Republican investigation of President Clinton for perjury and obstruction of justice in connection with his alleged affairs.

In 2000, Gingrich married Bisek shortly after his divorce from second wife Ginther.

Then there's the lil' matter of his ethics problem. Gingrich is the only Speaker of the House to have been disciplined for ethics violations...

No wonder he's done so well in the 2012 campaign...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newt_Gingrich

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hey dildo head do try and keep up. When her and Newt divorced she did not have cancer. They decided to divorce in 1980 NOT 1978. The infamous hospital visit was in 1980 while she was having a "benign" tumor removed. She is not dead. She is still alive. All told from the memory of the same daughter.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

My sister and I feel that it is time to move on, close the book on this event and focus on building a great future. We will not answer additional questions or make additional comments regarding this meaningless incident, which occurred more than three decades ago

Amen.

Yawn.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,611 Times in 7,328 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,966 Times in 1,782 Posts

Hey dildo head do try and keep up. When her and Newt divorced she did not have cancer. They decided to divorce in 1980 NOT 1978. The infamous hospital visit was in 1980 while she was having a "benign" tumor removed. She is not dead. She is still alive. All told from the memory of the same daughter.
    Whatever...Gingrich is still a scumbag who cheated on his wives with other women...not exactly the family values the Right espouse every day.

But by all means continue to hold him up as some sort of paragon of RightWing Morality!
    What kind of country have we become?

One in which federal prosecutors can take “evidence” before a “grand jury,”

and that grand jury can “vote to indict” a former president for 91 alleged “crimes”?

9. #8 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

I didn't say she didn't have cancer when she and Newt divorced, did I?

I didn't say she was dead, did I?

But you said 'she never had cancer', didn't you?

And that's a lie, isn't it?

I gave you links to the source. Here they are again:

http://townhall.com/columnists/jacki...my_miracle_mom

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2715525/posts

Just setting the record straight. Do try to keep up.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Let me correct myself then dildo head. She did not have cancer when they divorced as misreported for years. Is that better dildo head?

11. #10 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

Let me correct myself then dildo head. She did not have cancer when they divorced as misreported for years. Is that better dildo head?
    Is 'dildo head' your pet name for people who catch you lying? Just wondering.

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,133 Times in 4,488 Posts
    Blog Entries

WOW- this story deserves to be told~

My father, former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, has been in politics as long as I can remember.

And as long as I can remember, media coverage about him has contained misstatements of facts. The vast majority are simple mistakes that are easily corrected, understood and rewoven into an ongoing storyline.

But one of them seems to have taken on a life of its own, and simple corrections have not sufficed to set the record straight. Why does this happen? I can't be sure, but I suspect that the narrative created by these untruths proves to be so much more compelling and more dramatic than what actually happened that it proves irresistible.

I'm talking about the story of my father's visit to my mother while she was in the hospital in 1980.

link
    Honey, you'd be the last person to be setting any records straight. Who are you?

13. #12 | Top
    Guns Guns Guns Guest

She's apparently one of Damn Yankee's web-wives. I call her Ms Damn Stankee.

Presumably she's the one who quit the board in a huff when her twin sister (Ms Damn Skankee) got banned for breaking the rules.

It seems she couldn't face life without getting spanked by me, so she came back under a new name.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Guns Guns Guns For This Post:

ZappasGuitar (10-02-2011)

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 237 Times in 228 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by \(\(=)/)/ View Post
    Is 'dildo head' your pet name for people who catch you lying? Just wondering.
    (Msg #5 icedancer2theend) Hey dildo head do try and keep up.
    (Msg #9 icedancer2theend) Let me correct myself then dildo head.
    Dildo head? Is that a vague reference to oral sex?
    "May your reality be as pleasant as mine."

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 729 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 152 Times in 139 Posts

Clinton Impeachment Proceedings...

Gingrich... acknowledged cheating on Ginther while leading the impeachment proceedings against President Clinton for allegations of perjury involving the Paula Jones sexual harassment civil case and the president's affair with Monica Lewinsky.

LOL, yea Gingrich is a good, moral Christian! LOL!

Let's face facts, Gingrich will say or do anything to increase profits for his political backers and has no conscience.

But...
    You gotta give him credit for being one of the best propagandists in history...
    Newt Gingrich clearly understood the power of propaganda. His political action committee (GOPAC) mailed a pamphlet entitled Language, A Key Mechanism of Control to Republicans across the country. The booklet offered rhetorical advice to Republican candidates who wanted to "speak like Newt." It was subsequently awarded a Doublespeak Award by the National Conference of Teachers of English in 1990.

The booklet contained two lists of words. GOP candidates were instructed to use one set of "positive, governing words," (glittering generalities) when speaking about themselves. A second set of negative words (name-calling words) were to be used against their opponents.

View the glittering generalities.
    View the name-calling words.
    http://www.propagandacritic.com/arti...ples.newt.html

Yea, here's a guy we can trust...
    War Is Peace
    Freedom Is Slavery
    Ignorance Is Strength

George Orwell

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And yet this proves that the media lied and misled people on the facts regarding Newts first wife. No scorn for the media? It must be because they wove a tale that liberals' wanted to be true.