And the GOP wants to cut taxes even further?
The payoff? They claim it will "create jobs".
While not all of these policies are currently performed by the federal government, they do represent an accurate calculation of the monetary tradeoffs, and each one individually would cost the same as the Bush tax cuts.
Here are ten alternatives we could’ve pursued instead:
- Give 122.7 million children health care
- Give 49.2 million low-income people access to healthcare
- Provide 43.1 million students with Pell grants worth $5,500
- Provide 31.5 million Head Start slots for ten years
- Provide VA Care For 30.7 million veterans for ten years
- Hire 4.19 million firefighters
- Hire 3.67 million teachers
- Hire 3.6 million police officers