Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: My Official Position on Conservative Candidates Signing onto the NOM Pledge

1. #106 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Try to look at the upside Dixie. Just think how much you could lower the abortion rate if you let gay couples get married!
    Is the rate measured by the number of existing relationships?

2. #107 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Is the rate measured by the number of existing relationships?
    Ya know 3D....I'd call you average......but that's mean.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

3. #108 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Well that is certainly something you are an authority on.
    Yes, as I've seen it from you perhaps hundreds of times.

4. #109 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    I have no problem with what you are saying here, Dixie. I agree that the use of the word "Creator" was carefully chosen to include all beliefs. Which is why I was questioning DY's insistence that gay marriage defies the Creator but a gay civil union does not.

I disagree here. If the religious organization or church believes they should marry gays, then let them marry them. The sanctity and integrity of marriage has been harmed enough to make this a moot point.

And I agree wholeheartedly here, as I said on the first page of this thread. Get the gov't out of the marriage business completely.
    So the only thing we really disagree on, is how "Gay Marriage" is an affront to religious tradition and customs. To me, this is important in understanding why people are opposed to gay marriage, and have a legitimate right to be opposed, and why Civil Unions could be a viable alternative. In order to get you to comprehend what I mean, when I argue that Gay Marriage is an affront to Religious tradition, a good analogy would be, if a group of people wanted to turn Baptismals into public swimming pools... a Baptismal is a sacred pool for Baptisms to be performed, not a public swimming area... that would be an affront to the Baptist religion to ordain such a law. Now, you could ask, well... what would it hurt to let people go swimming in the Baptismal when they weren't holding services? It's the principle of the matter, it is a tradition and custom of the religion, and it's a violation of the sanctity of that religion to alter its sanctified customs and traditions.

5. #110 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    So the only thing we really disagree on, is how "Gay Marriage" is an affront to religious tradition and customs. To me, this is important in understanding why people are opposed to gay marriage, and have a legitimate right to be opposed, and why Civil Unions could be a viable alternative. In order to get you to comprehend what I mean, when I argue that Gay Marriage is an affront to Religious tradition, a good analogy would be, if a group of people wanted to turn Baptismals into public swimming pools... a Baptismal is a sacred pool for Baptisms to be performed, not a public swimming area... that would be an affront to the Baptist religion to ordain such a law. Now, you could ask, well... what would it hurt to let people go swimming in the Baptismal when they weren't holding services? It's the principle of the matter, it is a tradition and custom of the religion, and it's a violation of the sanctity of that religion to alter its sanctified customs and traditions.
    To many it is an afront to their religious traditions. At least your answer is an honest answer Dixie. Though I'm an advocate of civil unions on my religious grounds I'm not a proponent for gay marriage. That's just my own personal belief. Personally I see gay marriage as mostly a kanard and another divide and conquer wedge issue and I have vastly more important concerns in my life then whether or not two gay persons can get married. That is, I'm not threatened by the concept nor do I feel that gay civil unions or even gay marriage threaten the sanctity of my marriage as it is our (my wife and mines) faith in God and the belief in our vows before God that sanctify our marriage. No one or nothing can take that away from us but ourselves, so there fore, I'm not threatened by gay marriage. It's hardly even a concern to me.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

6. #111 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

Wow Moot being honest for once.

7. #112 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest