Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: My Official Position on Conservative Candidates Signing onto the NOM Pledge

1. #16 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    However marriage, unlike the professions, also has a religious component, so it doesn't make sense to defy the very basis of our national claim, that of inalienable rights, if we are at the same time defying our Creator.

A reasonable and rational solution would be for States to provide a licensing venue for monogamous homosexual relationships, with the same privileges, but a different term, then the word "marriage".
    So if we allow gays to marry we are defying our Creator? But if we give them the same privileges and call it something else, we won't be defying our Creator?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WinterBorn For This Post:

Rune (08-15-2011)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by apple0154 View Post
    So saying, "A reasonable and rational solution would be for States to provide a licensing venue for monogamous homosexual relationships, with the same privileges, but a different term, then the word "marriage", is neither reasonable nor rational because some people would always try to differentiate between them just as what happened to the "equal but different" laws. Been down that road before.

Once again, to paraphrase Obama, "The Repubs/Conservatives always come up with old, tired, worn out ideas."
    Some people always try to equate privileges with rights. What's your point?

4. #18 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

I agree, but marriage isn't on your list.
    ah, i see what you're referring to now. I, like the founding fathers, feel that the list of inherent and inalienable rights is too extensive to enumerate.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Licensing by its very nature is discriminatory. The state needs to discriminate between those who meet the qualifications and those who don't.
    why do you feel the need to 'qualify' for a right?
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

scotus says marriage is a fundamental right

homosexual relationships are no more unstable than heterosexual relationships.

8. #22 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest

I am curious, and have never been given an answer to this question:

If we allow gay marriage, what is the worst that will happen? I am not talking about forcing churches to participate in gay weddings against their will. Just allowing gay marriage.

What will happen that is bad?

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    I am curious, and have never been given an answer to this question:

If we allow gay marriage, what is the worst that will happen? I am not talking about forcing churches to participate in gay weddings against their will. Just allowing gay marriage.

What will happen that is bad?

I can answer this since I asked the same question till I finaly got an answer.

The FEAR is that if we allow gay marriage, we can't stop polygamy. Don't ask me, that is what the fundamentalists are afraid of. Like most rightwing fears, it makes no sense whatsoever, since polygamy is illegal in all 50 states.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

10. #24 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Return of Dune View Post
    I can answer this since I asked the same question till I finaly got an answer.

The FEAR is that if we allow gay marriage, we can't stop polygamy. Don't ask me, that is what the fundamentalists are afraid of. Like most rightwing fears, it makes no sense whatsoever, since polygamy is illegal in all 50 states.
    Yeah, that is as logical as Dixie's "If we allow that someone will want to marry their mailbox".

Apparently the concept of "two consenting adult" doesn't register. But you know, as long as all parties in the polgamous marriage are aware and willing, I personally see no problem with that either. I see that as another example of the gov't interfering where it doesn't belong.

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou View Post
    why do you feel the need to 'qualify' for a right?
    It's not a right, but a privilege.

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    scotus says marriage is a fundamental right

homosexual relationships are no more unstable than heterosexual relationships.
    1. Scotus has frequently been wrong.

2. Can you prove your assertion?

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's not a right, but a privilege.
    history and scotus disagree. are they wrong?

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 237 Times in 228 Posts

Some people always try to equate privileges with rights. What's your point?
    My point is equality. If everyone is equal before the law then the law should apply equally to everyone. If two things are the same it's illogical to refer to them by different names. If marriage and a civil contract between two homosexuals are supposed to be the same then call them by the same name. It's that simple.
    "May your reality be as pleasant as mine."

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 237 Times in 228 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou View Post
    ah, i see what you're referring to now. I, like the founding fathers, feel that the list of inherent and inalienable rights is too extensive to enumerate.
    Sort of like the Preamble to the Constitution where it reads, "promote the general Welfare". The list of things that promote the general welfare are too extensive to enumerate. Things like health care, for example.
    "May your reality be as pleasant as mine."

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by apple0154 View Post
    Sort of like the Preamble to the Constitution where it reads, "promote the general Welfare". The list of things that promote the general welfare are too extensive to enumerate. Things like health care, for example.
    'promote the general welfare' is not a power prescribed to the government. It's a general order to define how the government is supposed to use the powers assigned to it, in promoting the general welfare. Health care under promoting the general welfare would be ensuring that doctors are free to treat their patients the best way they know how, not to write policies and procedures as if they were a government agency.