Thread: Romney, GOP rivals face off in New Hampshire

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Default Romney, GOP rivals face off in New Hampshire

Romney, GOP rivals face off in New Hampshire

MANCHESTER, N.H. – Looking to set themselves apart, rivals to Republican frontrunner Mitt Romney sharpened their criticism of the former Massachusetts governor before their first presidential campaign debate with him Monday night

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_republicans_debate

i think i might watch this, not much is really known about the GOP field and if the debate is good, we should learn more about the candidates. hopefully, it isn't just stump speech "debate"

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

i missed the debates. anyone else watch?

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    i missed the debates. anyone else watch?
    Should be able to still see them on CNN site. I watched it, but was not really crazy about the format, it seemed more like a press conference with 7 people, not a debate. I thought the big winner was Bachmann, she just came off very positive in her presentation, and had the largest reaction of the night when she 'declared' Obama would be a one-term president. I thought the biggest loser was probably Pawlenty, he just did not look presidential. Everyone else was pretty average, and I think Paul might have hurt himself with independents but helped himself with the social cons, oddly enough. The media (even Fox) is pushing for us to all genuflect toward Romney, and playing this up like he 'distanced himself' from the field, but I really don't think so. Aside from Pawlenty looking weak, the thing that stood out most to me was Romney looking like he was trying to fit in... awkward in the moment or something, uncomfortable in his skin, but trying hard to keep you from noticing that. I think he knows the base is very cold toward him, and regardless of what the MSM says, the people vote their sentiments in the end. He made a major gaffe about turning Iraq over to the Taliban...wtf? If Sarah Palin had said something like that, it's all we'd be hearing about 'til she committed herself to rehab.

Paul was vintage Paul, and he will draw his usual 6-10% who'll follow him to the ends of the Earth... I don't think he picked up much more support, but maybe so? Cain did alright, he was challenged to present specifics on things, and he did demonstrate the ability to think on his feet and give solid answers to what he supported and what he would do. The rest were just kind of bland, generic... nothing to impress. Bachmann won this debate, in my opinion, but that isn't what you'll hear from the "News" sources.

5. The Following User Groans At Dixie - In Memoriam For This Awful Post:

Topspin (06-14-2011)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dixie - In Memoriam For This Post:

Cancel 2018. 3 (06-14-2011)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

batshit bauchman is the only true comedian left, get rid of the EPA. bahhaha
    The stone that the builder refused
    Will always be the head corner stone

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    Should be able to still see them on CNN site. I watched it, but was not really crazy about the format, it seemed more like a press conference with 7 people, not a debate. I thought the big winner was Bachmann, she just came off very positive in her presentation, and had the largest reaction of the night when she 'declared' Obama would be a one-term president. I thought the biggest loser was probably Pawlenty, he just did not look presidential. Everyone else was pretty average, and I think Paul might have hurt himself with independents but helped himself with the social cons, oddly enough. The media (even Fox) is pushing for us to all genuflect toward Romney, and playing this up like he 'distanced himself' from the field, but I really don't think so. Aside from Pawlenty looking weak, the thing that stood out most to me was Romney looking like he was trying to fit in... awkward in the moment or something, uncomfortable in his skin, but trying hard to keep you from noticing that. I think he knows the base is very cold toward him, and regardless of what the MSM says, the people vote their sentiments in the end. He made a major gaffe about turning Iraq over to the Taliban...wtf? If Sarah Palin had said something like that, it's all we'd be hearing about 'til she committed herself to rehab.

Paul was vintage Paul, and he will draw his usual 6-10% who'll follow him to the ends of the Earth... I don't think he picked up much more support, but maybe so? Cain did alright, he was challenged to present specifics on things, and he did demonstrate the ability to think on his feet and give solid answers to what he supported and what he would do. The rest were just kind of bland, generic... nothing to impress. Bachmann won this debate, in my opinion, but that isn't what you'll hear from the "News" sources.
    i had a feeling it was going to be like that and not a debate. thanks for summation dixie. from what i've read, bachman killed with the one liners, though, how this will translate into a full campaign is yet to be seen.

i think a romney/cain ticket would be very interesting.

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 729 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 152 Times in 139 Posts

the whole soft sell soft ball 'debate' reminded me of this song...

Step Right Up
    War Is Peace
    Freedom Is Slavery
    Ignorance Is Strength

George Orwell