Thread: U.S. says bin Laden was lawful military target

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Default U.S. says bin Laden was lawful military target

U.S. says bin Laden was lawful military target

ABBOTTABAD/WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The United States said on Wednesday that killing al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was an act of national self-defense, countering allegations the raid by U.S. commandos on his Pakistani hide-out was illegal.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said bin Laden was a legitimate military target and he had made no attempt to surrender to the American forces that stormed his fortified compound near Islamabad on Monday, and shot him in the head.

"It was justified as an act of national self-defense," Holder told the Senate Judiciary Committee, citing bin Laden's admission of being involved in the September 11, 2001 attacks in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.

It was lawful to target bin Laden because he was the enemy commander in the field and the operation was conducted in a way that was consistent with U.S. laws and values, he said, adding that it was a "kill or capture mission."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110504/...bama_statement

i fully support the take down of osama....but i'm curious what US laws are consistent with our going into a sovereign country and killing osama and others? didn't italy try and convict some CIA members for kidnapping an AQ member? what US laws allow us to go into pakistan as we did?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2018. 3 For This Post:

Topspin (05-04-2011)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

I'm prob the most anti-war poster here, and I'm lovin the Seal double shot to go as much as anyone.

Why would any country, much less any band of too poor for a camel fools fuck with the USA.
    The stone that the builder refused
    Will always be the head corner stone

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Topspin For This Post:

Minister of Truth (05-04-2011), Rune (05-04-2011)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

ok....but what US law allows us to enter a sovereign country and conduct such an operation?

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The Gunny Srgt Highway law

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Topspin For This Post:

Cancel 2016.2 (05-05-2011), Rune (05-04-2011)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    ok....but what US law allows us to enter a sovereign country and conduct such an operation?

I believe the Authorization to Use Military Force passed in 2001 covers this.

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

The USC gives us warmaking authority by establishing the armed forces and the CINC. Other than Congress declaring war and controlling spending, it doesn't really specify what we can do with them. I imagine that since the USC guarantees the states a republican form of government, and established a republic, that we should avoid empire building and conquest as much as possible.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by King of Kings View Post
    The USC gives us warmaking authority by establishing the armed forces and the CINC. Other than Congress declaring war and controlling spending, it doesn't really specify what we can do with them. I imagine that since the USC guarantees the states a republican form of government, and established a republic, that we should avoid empire building and conquest as much as possible.
    so we declared war on pakistan?

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NigelTufnel View Post
    ah...i'll look that up

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NigelTufnel View Post
    does appear you are right

SEC. 2. AUTHORIZATION FOR USE OF UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES.

(a) IN GENERAL- That the President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons.
    with a broad reading i can see how this could give us authority as the force is "all necessary and appropriate", given it could be easily argued a part or a whole of pakistan's government harbored him....

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Bin Laden death prompts questions about legality

GENEVA (AP) — The legality of U.S. forces shooting an unarmed Osama bin Laden hinges on a highly contentious and long-debated question: Is anti-terrorism part of a military campaign or a law-enforcement effort?

In war, enemy combatants who don't explicitly surrender are considered legitimate targets, international experts said. Bin Laden's killing in a military context would be legal under the scenario officially put out by the White House Wednesday — that bin Laden was unarmed but tried to resist being taken in.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...onal-law_n.htm

this is an interesting issue. i am of the opinion that international terrorism (a la bin laden) is not a police action, rather a military action under the geneva convention. however, what about richard reid? he was handled as a police action. timothy mcveigh was handled the same way. probably because they was on american soil. if bin hiden was on american soil....would that make action against him police action?

the article discusses how experts are in widespread disagreement and perhaps rightly so. reid and mcveigh were not part of a military "army" (group). they were just wackos that acted alone (maybe reid) or acted with a few other nutters (mcveigh). whereas bin hiden is in charge of a military group that has no country or uniform if you will. he is without a doubt a soldier and he has never let anyone forget this. he declared war on our entire country, not just some radical "war" against the government...but - declared war - and he was the de facto king, leader whatever, thereby, making him a proper military target and not a police action.

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wow, my first thought was, this is a no duh moment....

Osama declared war on the US, directing groups of soldiers in attacks against our nation. He is a valid military target. That being said, it appears more and more as if the Osama mission was basically an assassination. That guy wasn't going to be captured, they went there to do one thing and they did it.

A cool part: That helicopter they burned... It was one of the new Stealth Blackhawks. Very cool. They released that info a bit ago. I heard about these things, you can't hear them until they are right on you, and radar has a hard time with them. Very, very cool stuff.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 32 Times in 30 Posts

war
    come dance w Jak o the shadows

freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose

first there was the leg race then the arms race and now the brain race

all animals are created equal - G. Orwell

some animals are more equal that others - SCOTUS

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

the unwritten and illegitmiate, yet still sanctioned, law from the USSC that says they have no jurisdiction over what the federal government does outside the united states.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

I don't recall Yurt being so concerned with law when Bush Jr invaded Iraq? Could it be he changed, or another filter now covers his eyes, or maybe reality takes on difference shades of reality dependent on politics? Weird how things become different things.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

18. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-05-2011)

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Michael Moore say's it was a flat out execution.

I as far left as this board has, and I propose a cage match between me and Michael Moore.
    Proceeds going to the 9/11 victims kids.
    That would make for a nice sequal to sicko, "An inside look at healthcare from a beaten down douche nozzle".