Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where are the professional jobs and why do we waste educated talented people

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 32 Times in 30 Posts

Default where are the professional jobs and why do we waste educated talented people

it is not just immigrants but college educated people in general

one thing is that the demand for people trained in math and science is demanding training lacking among too many us college students

two things seem to thwart many science majors, O chem and second semester calculus

and why are denying jobs to immigrants with professional training

'Brain waste' thwarts immigrants' career dreams

Associated Press/AP Online

By DEEPTI HAJELA NEW YORK - After finishing medical school in Bogota, Colombia, Maria Anjelica Montenegro did it all - obstetrics, pediatrics, emergency medicine, even surgery. By her estimate, she worked with thousands of patients.

None of that prepared her for the jobs she's had since she moved to the United States: Sales clerk. Babysitter. Medical assistant.

That last one definitely rubbed raw at times.

"I know I was working in my field," the 34-year-old New York resident said. "But that is medical assistant. I'm a doctor."

Montenegro is hardly unique, given the high U.S. unemployment rate these days. Her situation reflects a trend that some researchers call "brain waste" - a term applied to immigrants who were skilled professionals in their home countries, yet are stymied in their efforts to find work in the U.S. that makes full use of their education or training.

Most of these immigrants wind up underemployed because of barriers like language, lack of access to job networks, or credentialing requirements that are different from those in other countries. Some are held back even further because they're also in the U.S. illegally.

An analysis by researchers at the Migration Policy Institute, an immigration think tank, estimated that 1.2 million college-educated immigrants in the United States were underemployed, out of a population of 6.7 million. About another 350,000 were unemployed.

The analysis, based on data from the Census Bureau's 2009 American Community Survey, did not differentiate between legal and illegal immigrants.

Brain waste has consequences for immigrants as well as American employers and the larger economy, said Jeanne Batalova, policy analyst at the institute and co-author of a study on the issue.

For immigrants, it means bringing home less money than they have the potential to earn. For employers, it means fewer skilled applicants in their hiring pools. For the country overall, it means a missed opportunity to leverage already trained professionals in areas where there may be a desperate need for them.

There's a "loss when human talent and potential is not maximized in the fullest," Batalova said.

Mohan Singh, 55, thought moving to the United States would be a smooth transition. Born and raised in India, he left his home country for Kuwait, where he worked in air conditioning and elevator maintenance. He lived in Kuwait for 25 years, started his own company and was successful enough to send his daughter and son to college in the United States.

At their urging, Singh came to the U.S. in 2000. He said he thought "that I'll be getting the same job, I'll be getting into a good field, make a good life."

It took seven years to complete the paperwork that allowed Singh to work here legally. When he applied for jobs, would-be employers focused on the fact that Singh had not worked in his field in the United States.

"They cancel all my experience," he said.

He now spends 12 hours a day, seven days a week, behind the wheel of a taxicab. It's a far cry from the work he's done for much of his life, Singh said, and the wages are much lower than those he once brought home. The whole experience has soured him on the idea of staying in America. He plans to move back to India in a couple of years, when his son is done with his post-graduate work.

"I used to have money, I used to have good life," Singh said. "Over here, I'm hand to mouth."
    Nikki Cicerani, executive director of Upwardly Global, a nonprofit organization that helps legal immigrants find work in their chosen professions, said typically, immigrants come from environments where job-seeking is done differently. They may not know how to navigate the system, whether it's building a network to learn about job openings or having a resume formatted in a way that is familiar to American employers.

Interviewing can be especially tricky. "In many other countries, the resume and the educational experience is the clincher," Cicerani said, "whereas in the United States, the interview is make it or break it."

American employers can also have difficulty figuring out if an immigrant would be the kind of employee they are seeking, absent a ready way of understanding how foreign educational or professional expertise translates in the U.S. job market, Cicerani said.

"They're not really clear how to evaluate a foreign degree against a U.S.-educated candidate," she said.

Montenegro came to the United States in 2004 to care for her mother, who had been diagnosed with breast cancer. She stayed after marrying a man she met here, and became an American citizen. She now lives in the New York borough of Queens with her husband and two children.

Language was the first barrier that Montenegro encountered. She needed to improve her English, but she also needed to work. She took a job as a sales clerk in a local mall, and even though it felt strange to be a medical professional working in retail, she said, the position at least helped her polish her language skills.

Then came larger hurdles that no amount of perfect English could surmount. There's a series of exams, the first of which cost $1,000 alone, Montenegro said. She also has to complete a residency, a requirement for all graduates of American medical schools. There are a limited number of residency slots overall which makes it a very competitive process for everyone, but even more so for foreign medical school graduates.

Montenegro has one more exam to pass before she can apply for a residency, a process that will take at least a year or two. There's no guarantee that she'll be accepted for a residency; At times, she fears she may never work as a doctor here.

"So many times I want to get my things and my passport and go back to my country," Montenegro said. Over the years, she heard stories about the lifestyles her doctor friends in Colombia were able to afford as she worked at various low-wage jobs.

While Montenegro agrees that her credentials and her ability to provide good health care should be vetted before she's allowed to work in this country, she thinks having to train as a general practitioner all over again when she already has experience is a waste - especially for the U.S., she said, because she speaks fluent Spanish and could be an asset in any Spanish-speaking community in need of a doctor.

"I'm ready to do that and help people," she said.

A service of YellowBrix, Inc. .
    come dance w Jak o the shadows

freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose

first there was the leg race then the arms race and now the brain race

all animals are created equal - G. Orwell

some animals are more equal that others - SCOTUS

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

Well but Obamacare is gonna fix all that! Right? Hey, you've got about half the doctors on record saying they plan to get out of the practice with Obamacare, so in a few years, what with everyone getting free health care... They'll be taking any kind of doctors they can find... African witch doctor? Sure, we'll send you to New Orleans!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dixie - In Memoriam For This Post:

Liberty (03-31-2011)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Plenty of americans underemployed right now too. Both of my parrents came here, my father kept his job as a ship captain, my mother earned a doctorate and worked successfully her whole life as a professor.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rune For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (03-30-2011)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post
    it is not just immigrants but college educated people in general

one thing is that the demand for people trained in math and science is demanding training lacking among too many us college students

two things seem to thwart many science majors, O chem and second semester calculus

and why are denying jobs to immigrants with professional training

'Brain waste' thwarts immigrants' career dreams
    Jesus Christ dude....just read you own words.... and you're a college student....???
    Your post is as close to gibberish as you can get.....
    If English is your native language, you're in freakin' trouble...

I'd hire some illegal that can express themselves in their own language, coherently, rather than you....

Its not surprising you're a liberal Democrat pinhead....you're an embarrassment to whatever schools you attended....you might wanna stick to posting cartoons.
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    Plenty of americans underemployed right now too. Both of my parrents came here, my father kept his job as a ship captain, my mother earned a doctorate and worked successfully her whole life as a professor.
    your parents are fortunate to have advanced, however too many people in this nation are unemployed and under employed

once more where are the jobs that the gop promised - they are not even pretending to do anything about unemployment and under employment

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by bravo View Post
    Jesus Christ dude....just read you own words.... and you're a college student....???
    Your post is as close to gibberish as you can get.....
    If English is your native language, you're in freakin' trouble...

I'd hire some illegal that can express themselves in their own language, coherently, rather than you....

Its not surprising you're a liberal Democrat pinhead....you're an embarrassment to whatever schools you attended....you might wanna stick to posting cartoons.
    my posts compared to some in this forum are far better than average

you attack my writing, but neglect to answer the op

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Schadenfreude For This Post:

Topspin (03-29-2011)

10. #7 | Top
    WinterBorn Guest

Getting a good job takes more than a college education. I have seen to many idiots with degrees to argue with that.

It takes persistance, focus, and a fair amount of luck to find a quality job in a specific field in a specific location. The gov't is not going to be able to change that.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinterBorn For This Post:

/MSG/ (03-28-2011), Liberty (03-31-2011)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 237 Times in 228 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    Well but Obamacare is gonna fix all that! Right? Hey, you've got about half the doctors on record saying they plan to get out of the practice with Obamacare, so in a few years, what with everyone getting free health care... They'll be taking any kind of doctors they can find... African witch doctor? Sure, we'll send you to New Orleans!
    Looks like the doctors leaving won't be a big problem after all. I bet the lady mentioned in the opening post would work as a doctor and be willing to be paid the rate for medicaid/medicare patients. It's no doubt higher than what she's making as a sales clerk.

Good, old capitalism. The free market. Kick out the doctors who have unbridled greed and let in the doctors who care about patients and will appreciate a decent income.
    "May your reality be as pleasant as mine."

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,128 Times in 9,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 503 Times in 476 Posts
    Blog Entries

We should have an americans first policy toward employment in all sectors. Globalization zealotry is just stupidity. The legitimacy of a government depends on the degree to which it's policies benefits it's citizens. Globalization is just a fancy set of propaganda to justify destroying the american people. All globalists should be ejected from office and branded as traitors.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hermes Thoth For This Post:

Rune (03-28-2011)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post
    your parents are fortunate to have advanced, however too many people in this nation are unemployed and under employed

once more where are the jobs that the gop promised - they are not even pretending to do anything about unemployment and under employment

Wake up pinhead....Democrats are in office for over 2 years....Obama (D) is the President...the GOP is out....Bush's unemployment numbers were GREAT !

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28695368/

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-09-03/p..._s=PM:POLITICS

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/08/bu...bama.html?_r=1
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bravo, you are an insult to all humanity.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 885 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 90 Times in 86 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by apple0154 View Post
    Looks like the doctors leaving won't be a big problem after all. I bet the lady mentioned in the opening post would work as a doctor and be willing to be paid the rate for medicaid/medicare patients. It's no doubt higher than what she's making as a sales clerk.

Good, old capitalism. The free market. Kick out the doctors who have unbridled greed and let in the doctors who care about patients and will appreciate a decent income.

You really believe this. Don't you apple?
    Man knows no master save creating heaven,
    or those whom choice and common good ordain.

Demacrat--Republican---------------------Center-------------------------------------------Libartarian
    Marxist, and little freedom--------------------------------------------------Anti-Marxist-Much Liberty

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. . . One is by
    sword. . . The other is by debt.

John Adams 1826

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 885 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 90 Times in 86 Posts

Where are the professional jobs and why do we waste educated talented people?

The "Democrat-Republican Party" has done everything to send a bunch of really good jobs overseas.
    Man knows no master save creating heaven,
    or those whom choice and common good ordain.

Demacrat--Republican---------------------Center-------------------------------------------Libartarian
    Marxist, and little freedom--------------------------------------------------Anti-Marxist-Much Liberty

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. . . One is by
    sword. . . The other is by debt.

John Adams 1826

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Liberty For This Post:

Rune (03-28-2011)

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    Bravo, you are an insult to all humanity.
    You should never feel insulted by your superiors...your ignorance isn't something you should be proud of.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to NOVA For This Post:

Liberty (03-28-2011)

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by bravo View Post
    Wake up pinhead....Democrats are in office for over 2 years....Obama (D) is the President...the GOP is out....Bush's unemployment numbers were GREAT !

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28695368/

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-09-03/p..._s=PM:POLITICS

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/08/bu...bama.html?_r=1
    OK pinprick, the gop have the house and what jobs related legislation have they passed

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Schadenfreude For This Post:

Rune (03-29-2011)