Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prime Example Of Obama's Dwindling Popularity

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 418 Posts

Talking Prime Example Of Obama's Dwindling Popularity

White House memo notes shortage of applicants for contest to have Obama to speak at high school graduation

The White House is ramping up an effort to promote a nationwide competition to decide which high school wins a commencement speech by President Obama.

An internal White House memo indicates that the White House is facing a shortage of applications less than a week before the deadline.

The competition was extended from the February 25 deadline until Friday, March 11 after few schools met the original application deadline. CBS News has learned a White House Communications Office internal memo dated February 22 noted "a major issue with the Commencement Challenge."

"As of yesterday we had received 14 applications and the deadline is Friday," the memo said. The memo also urged recipients to, "please keep the application number close hold."

A follow-up memo on February 28 reported receipt of 68 applications. Noting the competition among more than 1,000 schools last year, the memo said, "Something isn't working." It called on staffers to ask "friendly congressional, gubernatorial and mayoral offices" to encourage schools to apply.

Officials were unable to explain the reason for the apparent lack of interest, beyond pointing to possible procrastination by school systems.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...00-503544.html

I imagine the schools want inspiration not desperation in a commencement speech. Looks like the party is over.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Pretty scientific.

I'm worried about you when he beats Gingrich & gets another term.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

So the fact that school's have lazy staff means Obama has a low approval rating? right....

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 276 Times in 251 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post
    Pretty scientific.

Well, since Gingrich won't be the nominee, we won't have to worry about that.
    "We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power." -O'Brien, Nineteen Eighty-Four

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Gingrich is probably the strongest nominee the GOP has out there right now. I'm sure some are hoping that there will be a surprise contender coming out of nowhere...

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,753 Times in 33,623 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Gingrich is probably the strongest nominee the GOP has out there right now. I'm sure some are hoping that there will be a surprise contender coming out of nowhere...
    The Second Coming?

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 10 Times in 10 Posts

Like Herman Cain da Pizza man

http://hermancain.com/
    When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear. -Thomas Sowell

The most controversial thing I've ever done was to decide to think with my brain instead of my skin color. - Candace Owens

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by webbway View Post
    White House memo notes shortage of applicants for contest to have Obama to speak at high school graduation

The White House is ramping up an effort to promote a nationwide competition to decide which high school wins a commencement speech by President Obama.

An internal White House memo indicates that the White House is facing a shortage of applications less than a week before the deadline.

The competition was extended from the February 25 deadline until Friday, March 11 after few schools met the original application deadline. CBS News has learned a White House Communications Office internal memo dated February 22 noted "a major issue with the Commencement Challenge."

"As of yesterday we had received 14 applications and the deadline is Friday," the memo said. The memo also urged recipients to, "please keep the application number close hold."

A follow-up memo on February 28 reported receipt of 68 applications. Noting the competition among more than 1,000 schools last year, the memo said, "Something isn't working." It called on staffers to ask "friendly congressional, gubernatorial and mayoral offices" to encourage schools to apply.

Officials were unable to explain the reason for the apparent lack of interest, beyond pointing to possible procrastination by school systems.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...00-503544.html

I imagine the schools want inspiration not desperation in a commencement speech. Looks like the party is over.
    Yawn.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Thank God for small favors.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Actually current polling has Huckabee and Romney, in that order, as the front runners with Gingrich and Palin a distant 3 and 4. I personally like Mitch Daniels but I think he's saving it for 2016. All 4 of the current front runners have serious questions. Personally, even with the health care question I think Romney is the strongest candidate but all the polls I've seen for Obama vs "A Republican at large" or vs Romney, Huckabee has Obama with substantial leads and vs Gingrich or Palin he has a crushing lead. Dweebway and the other far right wing nuts are in denial that Americans would vote for another far right extremist like Palin or Gingrich or even a reactionary populist like Huckabee. If they are serious about beating Obama they would be wise to circle their wagons around Romney early on.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Actually current polling has Huckabee and Romney, in that order, as the front runners with Gingrich and Palin a distant 3 and 4. I personally like Mitch Daniels but I think he's saving it for 2016. All 4 of the current front runners have serious questions. Personally, even with the health care question I think Romney is the strongest candidate but all the polls I've seen for Obama vs "A Republican at large" or vs Romney, Huckabee has Obama with substantial leads and vs Gingrich or Palin he has a crushing lead. Dweebway and the other far right wing nuts are in denial that Americans would vote for another far right extremist like Palin or Gingrich or even a reactionary populist like Huckabee. If they are serious about beating Obama they would be wise to circle their wagons around Romney early on.
    Huckabee & Romney don't really have a shot, imo. I'd be shocked if the GOP nominated either.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Pretty scientific.

Gingrich/Palin ticket... Can you imagine the headlines, "The Gingrich Who Stole the White House!"
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Huckabee & Romney don't really have a shot, imo. I'd be shocked if the GOP nominated either.
    Romney has a way better shot than Huckabee, IMO. One of the reasons I am less than worried about the growing Dixie ire associated with my assessment of his campaign so far. Romney could use the almost identical system he set up in Mass that caused prices to go up to explain the difference between implementing poor policy without testing and using states as testing grounds.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

If Gingrich even comes close to being the nominee, the republicans are finished.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Romney has a way better shot than Huckabee, IMO. One of the reasons I am less than worried about the growing Dixie ire associated with my assessment of his campaign so far. Romney could use the almost identical system he set up in Mass that caused prices to go up to explain the difference between implementing poor policy without testing and using states as testing grounds.
    Call me crazy, but I still don't think America is quite Mormon-ready. Romney is changing his colors an awful lot, as well - he's creating an easy target for his opposition.

He could get the nod, but I still think it will be Gingrich...