Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: awwww, the poor little college grad

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

he's living off his middle manager dad. The dude had more motivation than this slacker.
    The stone that the builder refused
    Will always be the head corner stone

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,607 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    You're such a duty bound and laudable patriarch, a true template for the ideal man.
    True. And I smell good too, and I'm humble!

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    When it says college grad I assume it means recent college grad? And like Onceler said it's hard to judge without more info... is this person living off of money they previously made or are they just sitting at home living off of mom and dad? Kind of need to see the whole article to render judgment.
    He did link to the article in the first post.. . But here it is again for ya:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/07/bu...l?_r=2&ref=us4
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My son could have more dope than Bob Marley and he still wouldn't be staying at my crib at 24.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    He did link to the article in the first post.. . But here it is again for ya:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/07/bu...l?_r=2&ref=us4
    I don't see his link.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 39 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou View Post
    40k per year is more than I made right out of law school. I started at the Public Defender's Office at 36k. What a fucking tard. You aren't going to be a mid level manager right out of college.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I don't see his link.
    It's on the first line, you have to hover.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

HA I worked there for 12 months and hated that company.. BUT for the record that's a sweet entry level position. Its a customer service position but great for learning the business. For a young aggressive person with a decent degree behind them it is by no means a dead end job. They can work there way out of that job into a non phone attached job within 12-18 months.

A dead end job is specializing in something with no job growth. The above job can go to at least 5 different career paths within insurance.
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

9. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    It's on the first line, you have to hover.
    ahhhhhh, my bad. Thanks.

10. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Socrtease View Post
    40k per year is more than I made right out of law school. I started at the Public Defender's Office at 36k. What a fucking tard. You aren't going to be a mid level manager right out of college.
    true... but you started out of law school in 1912... so you need to adjust for inflation.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

11. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Socrtease View Post
    Yeah, when I started in commercial real estate brokerage right out of school they paid us $30k. Being single and living in SF on $30k is not a very glamorous lifestyle.

12. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

17K for me with an accounting degree, pre PC days.

13. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I cant find where it says what degree he got. If its general management it was a waste of money. its the major at my college that everyone that couldnt hack the accounting, finance, or economic classes fell back into.

The landscape has changed. I would even venture to say that college may not even be worth it anymore unless its a specific degree from a specific college that has a good chance of paying back within 4years.

Rule of thumb dont is dont waste your money on a kids college unless she/he can earn back the value of that degree within 4years.
    College cost: 50K per year x 4 = 200k.. kid gets job making avg of 35K over 4 years or 140k = not worth the investment.

I know a guy who went to a maritime college for degree in emergency management. 20k a year instate tuition. 90% of the grads in that major will make 50k starting.. now thats a good investment.
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

14. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

28k base first job.. with ot and bonuses I made 38K in first 12months. Worked 8-8 on a Fidelity Trading floor. Had to get series 6, 7, 63 license within 6weeks of being hired or get fired. I was off the floor within 14 months to an analyst job.

15. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

last study I saw said average degree would net you 2.5 mil over your career. Keep in mind Chappy that wages for non skilled are falling while college grads are rising less fast.