Thread: awwww, the poor little college grad

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Default awwww, the poor little college grad

college grad would rather stay unemployed, turning down 40k a year job

Over the last five months, only one job materialized. After several interviews, the Hanover Insurance Group in nearby Worcester offered to hire him as an associate claims adjuster, at $40,000 a year. But even before the formal offer, Mr. Nicholson had decided not to take the job.

Rather than waste early years in dead-end work, he reasoned, he would hold out for a corporate position that would draw on his college training and put him, as he sees it, on the bottom rungs of a career ladder.
    what a fucking waste of space he's become.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

I saw that, and used in on the other message board to mock republitools crying about the economy. Only a rich kid turns down 40K as being beneth him. This faggot whines about his parents maybe not funding his European vacation.
    The stone that the builder refused
    Will always be the head corner stone

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

It just shows a solid example that education doesn't always create intelligent people.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

he may be very intelligent, just very spoiled. He prob thinks he deserves a mid managers job that would put him in the hamptons. It's all his dad's fault by the way, for raising a gaylord.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,128 Times in 9,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 503 Times in 476 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes, you neocon libertarian tools keep blaming the victims of globalization, like the fascist little bots you've become. There's no jobs problem, there's a sissy problem.

You are the new anti-americans.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    Yes, you neocon libertarian tools keep blaming the victims of globalization, like the fascist little bots you've become. There's no jobs problem, there's a sissy problem.

You are the new anti-americans.
    He's a victim of his own decision, not of globalization. At least not individually. I understand that the job market itself is a result of globalization and outsourcing, but being offered a reasonably well-paying job just after college doesn't make him a "victim" of that. Others are, but this guy is just a victim of making poor choices.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    It just shows a solid example that education doesn't always create intelligent people.

I don't know about that. He seems to have it A-OK with his parents footing the bill for his existence. I think it goes to show that providing for every need of your adult children is not necessarily good parenting.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

I don't know; I'm not inclined to cast some sort of sweeping judgment on this based on the limited info presented. First, he's a kid. Second, it's the kind of story you might see in the background of a Ted Turner or Bill Gates, or any self-made guy who refused to compromise.

Not saying this guy will turn out that way (probably not likely), but if it works out for him, it's the kind of decision that would be praised in hindsight.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NigelTufnel View Post
    I don't know about that. He seems to have it A-OK with his parents footing the bill for his existence. I think it goes to show that providing for every need of your adult children is not necessarily good parenting.
    I'm sure that means that their college education didn't help them much either.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

wonder if his dad would adopt a 50yr old. LOL

I'd have to have surgery to remove my lower leg from Junior's ass.
    My kids are spoiled rotten but would never dream of pulling this shit.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't call 24 yr old's kids. This dude is a slacker that would make the Dude proud.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

He's a victim of his own decision, not of globalization. At least not individually. I understand that the job market itself is a result of globalization and outsourcing, but being offered a reasonably well-paying job just after college doesn't make him a "victim" of that. Others are, but this guy is just a victim of making poor choices.
    And globalization. And he may be right in holding out to stay on the career path of his choice. You libertarians get an ounce of security and then all the sudden its kicking down ladders and destroying dreams and justifying overseas slave labor. You're the worst kind of enemies because you wave the flag most proudly.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

There is no way I would consider my 24 year old son living in my house a "successful" job at parenting. He can choose not to work if he wishes, but he needs to find his own life unless he's continuing with school. At least at my house he does...

He must face the consequences of his own choices. (If it were my house he must... but apparently there are people who think differently.)
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

When it says college grad I assume it means recent college grad? And like Onceler said it's hard to judge without more info... is this person living off of money they previously made or are they just sitting at home living off of mom and dad? Kind of need to see the whole article to render judgment.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

There is no way I would consider my 24 year old son living in my house a "successful" job at parenting. He can choose not to work if he wishes, but he needs to find his own life unless he's continuing with school. At least at my house he does...

He must face the consequences of his own choices. (If it were my house he must... but apparently there are people who think differently.)
    You're such a duty bound and laudable patriarch, a true template for the ideal man.