Thread: Founders' vision would shock some

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Default Founders' vision would shock some

nothing but contempt for the founders

The celebration of our founders' 1776 revolt against King George III and the English Parliament is over. Let's reflect how the Founders might judge today's Americans and how today's Americans might judge them.

In 1794, when Congress appropriated $15,000 to assist some French refugees, James Madison, the acknowledged father of our Constitution, stood on the floor of the House to object, saying, "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." He later added, "(T)he government of the United States is a definite government, confined to specified objects. It is not like the state governments, whose powers are more general. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the government." Two hundred years later, at least two-thirds of a multi-trillion-dollar federal budget is spent on charity or "objects of benevolence."

What would the Founders think about our respect for democracy and majority rule? Here's what Thomas Jefferson said: "The majority, oppressing an individual, is guilty of a crime, abuses its strength, and by acting on the law of the strongest breaks up the foundations of society." John Adams advised, "Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." The Founders envisioned a republican form of government, but as Benjamin Franklin warned, "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."

What would the Founders think about the U.S. Supreme Court's 2005 Kelo v. City of New London decision where the court sanctioned the taking of private property of one American to hand over to another American? John Adams explained: "The moment the idea is admitted into society that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence. If 'Thou shalt not covet' and 'Thou shalt not steal' were not commandments of Heaven, they must be made inviolable precepts in every society before it can be civilized or made free."

Thomas Jefferson counseled us not to worship the U.S. Supreme Court: "(T)he opinion which gives to the judges the right to decide what laws are constitutional and what not, not only for themselves in their own sphere of action but for the Legislature and Executive also in their spheres, would make the Judiciary a despotic branch."

How might our Founders have commented about last week's U.S. Supreme Court's decision upholding our rights to keep and bear arms? Justice Samuel Alito, in writing the majority opinion, said, "Individual self-defense is the central component of the Second Amendment." The Founders would have responded "Balderdash!" Jefferson said, "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."

George Mason explained, "(T)o disarm the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them." Noah Webster elaborated: "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed. ... The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive."

Contrary to Alito's assertion, the central component of the Second Amendment is to protect ourselves from U.S. Congress, not street thugs.

Today's Americans have contempt for our Founders' vision. I'm sure our Founders would have contempt for ours.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,319 Times in 9,827 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

I actually see our nation ending in a corporatist slave camp. neocons and libertarians keep pretending that corporation are individuals. Individuals are held accountable. The corporate veil is basically a license to be irresponsible and criminal.

i'm for trade, but against corporatism.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

Lib-tards hate democracy and want to destroy it.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Good post, STY. My only complaint is the Jefferson quote on the Supreme Court, because it had caught him abusing his office when he told Madison not to deliever a signed court appointmentment to Marbury. The reason why Marshall took the opportunity to establish judicial review was because he new the douchebag in chief would defy the court if it ordered Jefferson and Madison to allow Marbury to be granted his lawful post that Adams had appointed him to.

It detracts from the fact that Kelo is the single most tyrannical and inappropriate ruling of the last decade, and of my lifetime for that matter.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    I actually see our nation ending in a corporatist slave camp. neocons and libertarians keep pretending that corporation are individuals. Individuals are held accountable. The corporate veil is basically a license to be irresponsible and criminal.

i'm for trade, but against corporatism.
    so are you for guilds? what kind of trade groups do you approve of?

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Good post, STY. My only complaint is the Jefferson quote on the Supreme Court, because it had caught him abusing his office when he told Madison not to deliever a signed court appointmentment to Marbury. The reason why Marshall took the opportunity to establish judicial review was because he new the douchebag in chief would defy the court if it ordered Jefferson and Madison to allow Marbury to be granted his lawful post that Adams had appointed him to.
    so very true. it should stand as a warning to all americans, knowing that jefferson felt that way BEFORE he become president.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 39 Times in 33 Posts

It detracts from the fact that Kelo is the single most tyrannical and inappropriate ruling of the last decade, and of my lifetime for that matter.
    Also, using the logic of Jefferson, the legislature could pass a law forbidding a certain type of speech and the supreme court could not review its constitutionality? People could be arrested for wearing a patch saying "fuck the draft" and the Supreme Court could not review that matter? The Court is there to ensure that the fleeting passions of a time are not passed into law if they violate the rights of the people. Hell, Jefferson himself said that the Alien and Sedition Act was unconstitutional. But according to him the Court could not have struck that down. The Court is the last check on a tyranical legislature.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Threedee is correct in his latest assessment of the court. Their original primary intent was to handle international matters, not constitutional ones. The constitution was still fresh at the time and it was reasonably assumed that intent was obvious.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

As would I, it is the most mysterious of amendments. That and the 12th (well, at least it was last time I read it).

Also, STY, where is the latest injustice report?
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
    As would I, it is the most mysterious of amendments. That and the 12th (well, at least it was last time I read it).

Also, STY, where is the latest injustice report?
    The only thing I want to know about the 12th is whether the current way we do it (the Pres and Veep candidates run as a package) is legally sound, or whether we should vote on them more separately as per the text. I believe that Electors technically caste separate votes, which is why its considered legitimate...

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The only thing I want to know about the 12th is whether the current way we do it (the Pres and Veep candidates run as a package) is legally sound, or whether we should vote on them more separately as per the text. I believe that Electors technically caste separate votes, which is why its considered legitimate...
    That's what I wonder as well.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 885 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 90 Times in 86 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou View Post
    Great post!
    Man knows no master save creating heaven,
    or those whom choice and common good ordain.

Demacrat--Republican---------------------Center-------------------------------------------Libartarian
    Marxist, and little freedom--------------------------------------------------Anti-Marxist-Much Liberty

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. . . One is by
    sword. . . The other is by debt.

John Adams 1826

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 39 Times in 33 Posts

Default Eleventh Amendment in as small a nutshell as possible.

The Eleventh Amendment is pretty damn obscure and there have been damn few court cases dealing with it. I know very little about it but here it is in a nutshell.

First there was Chisholm v. Georgia2 US (2 Dall.) 419. Robert Farquhar, a resident of South Carolina died. The state of Georgia owed him some money from the Revolutionary War. Article III section 2 of the Constitution said that in suits involving a state and citizens of another state would be handled by federal courts. Chisholm was Robert Farquhar's executor. He sued Georgia on behalf of the estate, Georgia did not show up for the suit, saying they had not consented to be sued ( a requirement under common law). Supreme Court, per Chief Justice John Jay and 3 of the other justices (there were only 5 then) said nay nay Georgia. When you ratified the constitution you should have read it more carefully. Article III sec 2 was there and when you ratified you gave up your claim to sovereign immunity and damn well could be summoned to court.

States were none to happy. They didn't see it that way. So two short years later the Eleventh was ratified removing the right of a citizen of South Carolina from suing Georgia, or any such other states and citizens as might be involved. Only NJ and PA voted against ratification.

The only exception to this, that the Supreme Court has carved is that the Federal Government can abrogate sovereign immunity when the issue at hand is discriminatory harm that the 14 amendment prohibits.