Thread: Busted at AZ Border For Pot

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I've been through those agricultural check stops a billion times. They don't do search and seizure. Those checkpoints aren't even staffed by law enforcement, they're run by Department of Food and Ag. They ask if you are bringing certain kinds of plants into california. For justifiable reasons. The ag industry and the food supply is subject to devastation by certain kinds of imported pests.

They politely ask you if you have fruits or vegetables, and then you're on your way. Most people would consider it a civic duty to help protect the agricultural food supply. They've never executed a search, nor have I ever seen drug sniffing dogs. If cawacko's story is accurate, this checkpoint was obviously a broad sweep of everyone for criminal activity, regardless of any legally defensible reasonable suspicion standard of accountability.

YEAH, you fouind us out.
    We just decided to start doing this, especialy on I-8, since San Diego decided to boycott us.

By the way, the guy's name is now in a nationwide data base and the Feds are just going to wait to where they can really bust him with quanitity.

There, now do you feel better??
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    The check points have been there, for over 16 years, that I know of.
    They were initially there to stop the importation of certain plants and fruits.
    That is correct, and that's still what they're for.

It's important for folks to keep in mind that SB 1070 doesn't even legally take effect until August.

Now, if this were a different checkpoint (for instance, if this guy was driving close to the U.S. border) it could have been a Federal checkpoint, in which case, what can he expect?

I don't like it from a civil liberties standpoint myself, and hate to be stopped going back from San Diego as I do for work, but the courts have determined the Federal government has jurisdiction and common sense does dictate that on a road so close to the border you could easily be hauling all manner of people and things up from Mexico. So it's best not to make waves and endanger yourself like that.

Glad to hear the penalty was minimal, though, since the "offense" was as well.
    Last edited by Adam Weinberg; 05-17-2010 at 11:05 AM.