Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Busted at AZ Border For Pot

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default Busted at AZ Border For Pot

This guy I know is moving from San Diego to New York and is driving across the country. He left SD yesterday and when he got to the AZ border there was a huge checkpoint where I guess they were checking for human smuggling. Anyway my buddy had weed in his car and at the checkpoint one of the police dogs started going crazy. Anyway they found the weed and paraphanalia (sp) and arrested him.

AZ police wanted to send him to jail but the border patrol guy I guess was cool and only sited him for a misdemeanor and let him go after a couple of hours. My friend had all his belongings in his car and the cops went through everything just trashing it. Pretty brutal.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,493 Times in 9,085 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,427 Times in 1,256 Posts

Default Border Patrol checkpoints near Yuma nab hordes of pot users

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    This guy I know is moving from San Diego to New York and is driving across the country. He left SD yesterday and when he got to the AZ border there was a huge checkpoint where I guess they were checking for human smuggling. Anyway my buddy had weed in his car and at the checkpoint one of the police dogs started going crazy. Anyway they found the weed and paraphanalia (sp) and arrested him.

AZ police wanted to send him to jail but the border patrol guy I guess was cool and only sited him for a misdemeanor and let him go after a couple of hours. My friend had all his belongings in his car and the cops went through everything just trashing it. Pretty brutal.
    How much weed did he lose??

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2008-...rom-the-beach/

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    It doesn't sound like he had a lot. He did say the AZ police were drilling him about if he had smoked, when was the last time he smoked, was he addicted to weed and a bunch of other questions.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,285 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

This guy I know is moving from San Diego to New York and is driving across the country. He left SD yesterday and when he got to the AZ border there was a huge checkpoint where I guess they were checking for human smuggling.
    A massive checkpoint at the Cali-Arizona border? WTF is this, a third-world dictatorship?

It doesn't sound like he had a lot. He did say the AZ police were drilling him about if he had smoked, when was the last time he smoked, was he addicted to weed and a bunch of other questions.

LOL @ asking if he was addicted to weed. Is that actually a legitimate law enforcement question?

Well, my take away lesson is to never listen to those posters who claimed that Arizona would enforce their new "show me your papers" immigration law in a benign, responsible, and measured way. I don't see any evidence from your post regarding massive border checkpoints, and quizzing dudes on how much they smoke, that there was even a modest attempt to adhere to the normal and responsible standards of reasonable suspicion before search and seizure is executed. Another hilarious Dixie theory flushed down the toilet!

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,493 Times in 9,085 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,427 Times in 1,256 Posts

He probably didn't have a lot, they let him go! I wonder if they are doing these checks on all ports of entry to AZ?

He was lucky too, the feds, let him go!

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=4523

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

The check points have been there, for over 16 years, that I know of.
    They were initially there to stop the importation of certain plants and fruits.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This is way funny; because you guys are jumping on a band wagon, putting in words like "massive" and then putting your own spin on it.

If you're on I-8 or I-10, coming from California, those check points have been there for at least 16 years that I know of.
    They check the weight of the commercial trucks and are also looking for any importation of certain plants or fruit.

I have no idea how long they've had drug dogs there; because the last time I was through them, was over 11 years ago.

But you guys go ahead and tie this in with the rest of your paranioa; because at least it gives me something to laugh at.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 24 Posts

Their inclusion of drug sniffing dogs takes their "16 years at least" procedure of controlling certain plants and fruits, and pushes it across the line of constitutionality. With drug sniffing dogs running arouns "casually" checking vehicles makes it nothing less than "stop everyone looking for criminals". Our Constitution says they cannot do that. The guy should sue for civil rights violations.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Good Luck View Post
    Their inclusion of drug sniffing dogs takes their "16 years at least" procedure of controlling certain plants and fruits, and pushes it across the line of constitutionality. With drug sniffing dogs running arouns "casually" checking vehicles makes it nothing less than "stop everyone looking for criminals". Our Constitution says they cannot do that. The guy should sue for civil rights violations.
    Yeah, Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Good Luck with that.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 17 Times in 17 Posts

This guy ain't going to say nothing! He had pot. Pot is still illegal and he's lucky he got cited for a misdemeanor and not thrown in jail for a couple of weeks.

That guy is one thing and one thing only....

RELIEVED!

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

he will fail. See, the wonderful supreme court we have, that dixie says is the last line of defining the constitution for we the people, have determined that there are no 4th amendment protections at any checkpoint within 25 miles of the US border, US citizen or not.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 90 Posts

California is the only state to have border guard between U.S. States.. I dont know how they get away with it,but its been that way for a long time.
    Peace Love and Light Wanderingbear

http://www.hippieland.net

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,285 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    The check points have been there, for over 16 years, that I know of.
    They were initially there to stop the importation of certain plants and fruits.
    I've been through those agricultural check stops a billion times. They don't do search and seizure. Those checkpoints aren't even staffed by law enforcement, they're run by Department of Food and Ag. They ask if you are bringing certain kinds of plants into california. For justifiable reasons. The ag industry and the food supply is subject to devastation by certain kinds of imported pests.

They politely ask you if you have fruits or vegetables, and then you're on your way. Most people would consider it a civic duty to help protect the agricultural food supply. They've never executed a search, nor have I ever seen drug sniffing dogs. If cawacko's story is accurate, this checkpoint was obviously a broad sweep of everyone for criminal activity, regardless of any legally defensible reasonable suspicion standard of accountability.
    Last edited by Cypress; 05-17-2010 at 06:26 AM.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

No offense cawacko but your friend is no Rhodes Scholar. Don't travel thru Ghestapo land with the green medicine.
    The stone that the builder refused
    Will always be the head corner stone

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingbear View Post
    California is the only state to have border guard between U.S. States.. I dont know how they get away with it,but its been that way for a long time.
    I've never seen them, interesting.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle