Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poll Finds Tea Party Backers Wealthier and More Educated

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,086 Times in 25,662 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Default Poll Finds Tea Party Backers Wealthier and More Educated

Here's an interesting article about the Tea Party. It was too long to post so I cut out the middle in the interest of brevity, but it's a good article. The last few paragraphs, bolded, indicate there may yet be hope for some of these folks.

Tea Party supporters are wealthier and more well-educated than the general public, and are no more or less afraid of falling into a lower socioeconomic class, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll...

The 18 percent of Americans who identify themselves as Tea Party supporters tend to be Republican, white, male, married and older than 45...

And while most Republicans say they are “dissatisfied” with Washington, Tea Party supporters are more likely to classify themselves as “angry.”

Tea Party supporters’ fierce animosity toward Washington, and the president in particular, is rooted in deep pessimism about the direction of the country and the conviction that the policies of the Obama administration are disproportionately directed at helping the poor rather than the middle class or the rich...

The overwhelming majority of supporters say Mr. Obama does not share the values most Americans live by and that he does not understand the problems of people like themselves. More than half say the policies of the administration favor the poor, and 25 percent think that the administration favors blacks over whites — compared with 11 percent of the general public.

They are more likely than the general public, and Republicans, to say that too much has been made of the problems facing black people...

And nearly three-quarters of those who favor smaller government said they would prefer it even if it meant spending on domestic programs would be cut.

But in follow-up interviews, Tea Party supporters said they did not want to cut Medicare or Social Security — the biggest domestic programs, suggesting instead a focus on “waste.”

Some defended being on Social Security while fighting big government by saying that since they had paid into the system, they deserved the benefits.

Others could not explain the contradiction.

“That’s a conundrum, isn’t it?” asked Jodine White, 62, of Rocklin, Calif. “I don’t know what to say. Maybe I don’t want smaller government. I guess I want smaller government and my Social Security.” She added, “I didn’t look at it from the perspective of losing things I need. I think I’ve changed my mind.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/15/us...15poll.html?hp

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

More educated? Uh-oh where's Topspin with his maybe they aren't GEDers comments?

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would imagine that they're not off by much, and that it's mostly because they don't have any minorities in their midst.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

Rich white people hating on brothers, there's a comment that tea baggers are twice as likely as general population to think Obama favors blacks over whites. SHOCKING lol
    The stone that the builder refused
    Will always be the head corner stone

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    More educated? Uh-oh where's Topspin with his maybe they aren't GEDers comments?
    Given the last paragraph, it's hard to see where the "more educated" came from.

― Charles Dickens

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

there are a lot of college educated racist, southern man is a great example of how you can do 4 yrs of essentially technical training in college and remain a narrow minded moron.
    The stone that the builder refused
    Will always be the head corner stone

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    If people wanting things from the government but not wanting to pay for it were the basis for judging how educated our society is we would have very few high school graduate equivalents.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not to mention that lady interviewed is 62 years old which would make her a Baby Boomer. Is there anyone more selfish than a baby boomer? Kids are always selfish but as far as generations go no one tops the baby boomers. Typical response for someone of her age.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Not to mention that lady interviewed is 62 years old which would make her a Baby Boomer. Is there anyone more selfish than a baby boomer? Kids are always selfish but as far as generations go no one tops the baby boomers. Typical response for someone of her age.
    Not to mention that you can have both.... a smaller government AND government services. Obama was even able to find $500 billion in waste in Medicare. Eliminate that waste and the government gets smaller while still providing the benefits.

That said, the boomers are a bunch of selfish bastards in general.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

More selfish than boomers? Yeah, the gen-Xrs. They have a disproportionate sense of entitlement and enter the work force thinking they deserve to start at the top and not pay any dues. A real work ethic ended with the boomers.

As far as the woman in question, you call her selfish and I call her confused, but with a glimmer of potential. At least she recognizes the dichotomy between what she wants and what the TP advocates. If the TP were honest, they'd admit that their concerns started years ago during the previous administration, but since they overwhelmingly vote Republican, they're displacing their anger on the current administration.

― Charles Dickens

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If people wanting things from the government but not wanting to pay for it were the basis for judging how educated our society is we would have very few high school graduate equivalents.
    That's not what I took from the last paragraph. I saw it as a woman who suddenly realized the contradiction between her beliefs and the TP beliefs as a whole.

― Charles Dickens

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

More selfish than boomers? Yeah, the gen-Xrs. They have a disproportionate sense of entitlement and enter the work force thinking they deserve to start at the top and not pay any dues. A real work ethic ended with the boomers.

As far as the woman in question, you call her selfish and I call her confused, but with a glimmer of potential. At least she recognizes the dichotomy between what she wants and what the TP advocates. If the TP were honest, they'd admit that their concerns started years ago during the previous administration, but since they overwhelmingly vote Republican, they're displacing their anger on the current administration.
    And I say this not because I'm a member of Gen X which I am but competition is not even close for the Baby Boomers (which my parents are members of - sorry mom & dad but you count in that group as well). First Baby Boomers want to rebel against the Greatest Generation? Watching anything on WWII and people of that group sacrificed compared to their kids who wanted to do nothing but hang around and smoke dope all day while claiming to 'change the world'. (Yes I know, very large generalizations being made here).

So with all due respect I say f*ck the baby boomers. We have enough partisan b.s. back and forth on this board everyday well we can change it up for the moment and have a little age wars.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That's not what I took from the last paragraph. I saw it as a woman who suddenly realized the contradiction between her beliefs and the TP beliefs as a whole.
    The tea party isn't saying you can't have social security. It is saying we have unsustainable debts coming due in medicare and social security that need to be dealt with and that is fact. It's not an either or situation where you say if I support what the tea party believes then I don't want my social security.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can agree with that analysis at least around my area. We pay for our own "domestic services" anyways. All the towns here fund our own libraries, schools, community centers, senior centers, sports boosters, etc.. The state income tax and all the allocated fed tax to the state goes to the dirty cities so they can get free libraries, schools, and so on.
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And I say this not because I'm a member of Gen X which I am but competition is not even close for the Baby Boomers (which my parents are members of - sorry mom & dad but you count in that group as well). First Baby Boomers want to rebel against the Greatest Generation? Watching anything on WWII and people of that group sacrificed compared to their kids who wanted to do nothing but hang around and smoke dope all day while claiming to 'change the world'. (Yes I know, very large generalizations being made here).

So with all due respect I say f*ck the baby boomers. We have enough partisan b.s. back and forth on this board everyday well we can change it up for the moment and have a little age wars.
    C'mon, your mom and dad aren't that bad. They raised you and you seem pretty well-adjusted.

― Charles Dickens