Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 135

Thread: Why do people often vote against their own interests?

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philly, PA
    Posts
    1,351
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 175 Times in 117 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 18 Times in 18 Posts

    Default Why do people often vote against their own interests?

    'Drew Westen argues that stories rather than facts convince voters.'


    "The Republicans' shock victory in the election for the US Senate seat in Massachusetts meant the Democrats lost their supermajority in the Senate. This makes it even harder for the Obama administration to get healthcare reform passed in the US.

    Political scientist Dr David Runciman looks at why there is often such deep opposition to reforms that appear to be of obvious benefit to voters."

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8474611.stm

    An Aggregation of Nincompoops - democrats are too damn....
    http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...of_nincompoops

  2. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,814
    Thanks
    1,515
    Thanked 691 Times in 465 Posts
    Groans
    138
    Groaned 71 Times in 64 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    'Drew Westen argues that stories rather than facts convince voters.'


    "The Republicans' shock victory in the election for the US Senate seat in Massachusetts meant the Democrats lost their supermajority in the Senate. This makes it even harder for the Obama administration to get healthcare reform passed in the US.

    Political scientist Dr David Runciman looks at why there is often such deep opposition to reforms that appear to be of obvious benefit to voters."

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8474611.stm

    An Aggregation of Nincompoops - democrats are too damn....
    http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...of_nincompoops
    Something not considered, "Greater good," or what used to be called, "Civic virtue."

  3. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    26,433
    Thanks
    675
    Thanked 4,180 Times in 3,438 Posts
    Groans
    900
    Groaned 1,410 Times in 1,316 Posts

    Default

    I only vote against YOUR interests.....

  4. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,384
    Thanks
    877
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 237 Times in 228 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    'Drew Westen argues that stories rather than facts convince voters.'


    "The Republicans' shock victory in the election for the US Senate seat in Massachusetts meant the Democrats lost their supermajority in the Senate. This makes it even harder for the Obama administration to get healthcare reform passed in the US.

    Political scientist Dr David Runciman looks at why there is often such deep opposition to reforms that appear to be of obvious benefit to voters."

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8474611.stm

    An Aggregation of Nincompoops - democrats are too damn....
    http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...of_nincompoops
    All we can hope for is people will become more educated.
    "May your reality be as pleasant as mine."

  5. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    26,821
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 538 Times in 383 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 117 Times in 106 Posts

    Default

    people are influenced to vote against their own interests by propaganda, and a dishonest use of abstractions.

    Consider dixie and his simplistic "people are corporations" idiocy.

    the idea that it's fine if the middle class is decimated as long as coporate profits rise is a great example.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    "Men think in herds, go mad in herds, but recover their senses one by one." -- Charles Mackay

    "AssHat rocks and is fun to have around." -- Damocles

  6. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    26,821
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 538 Times in 383 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 117 Times in 106 Posts

    Default

    or "what's good for corporations is good for america". These idiotic bromides are harmful.

    If you consider 'america' to be politicians on the take and rich people destroying the middle class for profit, then you're right. But if you consider america to be the vast majority of it's middle class workers then you're obviously wrong.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    "Men think in herds, go mad in herds, but recover their senses one by one." -- Charles Mackay

    "AssHat rocks and is fun to have around." -- Damocles

  7. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    42,520
    Thanks
    4,031
    Thanked 6,083 Times in 4,635 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 2,737 Times in 2,477 Posts

    Default

    62 percent of Americans wanted the public option.

  8. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    27,495
    Thanks
    1,041
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    1,008
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

    Default

    This is hilarious. The effort to paint Americans who voted against healthcare reform as ignorant of the facts instead of democrats waking up to the fact that the majority of Americans were unhappy about being forcefed a 1,000 plus page of healthcare reform laws that their own representatives either hadn't read, didn't understand, or wouldn't talk about it.

    no wonder you're gonna lose big in 2010 and no wonder you can't learn anything.
    The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them. - Patrick Henry
    "You seem ... to consider the judges as the ultimate arbiters of all constitutional questions; a very dangerous doctrine indeed, and one which would place us under the despotism of an oligarchy... The Contitution has erected no such single tribunal." --Thomas Jefferson, 1820

  9. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    26,821
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 538 Times in 383 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 117 Times in 106 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou View Post
    This is hilarious. The effort to paint Americans who voted against healthcare reform as ignorant of the facts instead of democrats waking up to the fact that the majority of Americans were unhappy about being forcefed a 1,000 plus page of healthcare reform laws that their own representatives either hadn't read, didn't understand, or wouldn't talk about it.

    no wonder you're gonna lose big in 2010 and no wonder you can't learn anything.
    No doubt, the willful and obvious misinterpretation of Scott Brown's success makes lib look either idiotic, dishonest or both.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    "Men think in herds, go mad in herds, but recover their senses one by one." -- Charles Mackay

    "AssHat rocks and is fun to have around." -- Damocles

  10. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    72,852
    Thanks
    1,447
    Thanked 6,051 Times in 4,200 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 317 Times in 299 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    'Drew Westen argues that stories rather than facts convince voters.'


    "The Republicans' shock victory in the election for the US Senate seat in Massachusetts meant the Democrats lost their supermajority in the Senate. This makes it even harder for the Obama administration to get healthcare reform passed in the US.

    Political scientist Dr David Runciman looks at why there is often such deep opposition to reforms that appear to be of obvious benefit to voters."

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8474611.stm

    An Aggregation of Nincompoops - democrats are too damn....
    http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...of_nincompoops
    They don't. They just voted their interest which was contrary to yours. Why do people so often think that their interests are a match to the interests of others?
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

    Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

  11. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    26,821
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 538 Times in 383 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 117 Times in 106 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    They don't. They just voted their interest which was contrary to yours. Why do people so often think that their interests are a match to the interests of others?
    I've already answered this. Abstraction abuse on the part of propaganda artists.

    Neocons do it to with their "what's good for corporations is good for america" idiocy.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    "Men think in herds, go mad in herds, but recover their senses one by one." -- Charles Mackay

    "AssHat rocks and is fun to have around." -- Damocles

  12. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic State
    Posts
    19,461
    Thanks
    2,176
    Thanked 3,219 Times in 2,600 Posts
    Groans
    1,434
    Groaned 2,222 Times in 1,821 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    'Drew Westen argues that stories rather than facts convince voters.'


    "The Republicans' shock victory in the election for the US Senate seat in Massachusetts meant the Democrats lost their supermajority in the Senate. This makes it even harder for the Obama administration to get healthcare reform passed in the US.

    Political scientist Dr David Runciman looks at why there is often such deep opposition to reforms that appear to be of obvious benefit to voters."

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8474611.stm

    An Aggregation of Nincompoops - democrats are too damn....
    http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...of_nincompoops
    The answer is quite simple....some folks put their beliefs, values and ethics above their greed...

    Do you blabber, bluster, and blow smoke ?...then you're likely a Democrat
    Do you use 'strawman' arguements 95% of the time ?....then you're likely a Democrat
    How does it feel to be the LAST black president?....funny stuff.





  13. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,841
    Thanks
    3,369
    Thanked 1,275 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Groans
    1,172
    Groaned 691 Times in 629 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bravo View Post
    The answer is quite simple....some folks put their beliefs, values and ethics above their greed...

  14. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    36,883
    Thanks
    7,038
    Thanked 8,947 Times in 6,221 Posts
    Groans
    204
    Groaned 832 Times in 796 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by apple0154 View Post
    All we can hope for is people will become more educated.
    HA! That will be the day. To quote H.L. Menkin "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/pic...&pictureid=305

  15. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    36,883
    Thanks
    7,038
    Thanked 8,947 Times in 6,221 Posts
    Groans
    204
    Groaned 832 Times in 796 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou View Post
    This is hilarious. The effort to paint Americans who voted against healthcare reform as ignorant of the facts instead of democrats waking up to the fact that the majority of Americans were unhappy about being forcefed a 1,000 plus page of healthcare reform laws that their own representatives either hadn't read, didn't understand, or wouldn't talk about it.

    no wonder you're gonna lose big in 2010 and no wonder you can't learn anything.
    Actually it you who is ignorant of the facts, poll after poll has shown that opposition to the HC reform bill is split evenly between those who think it goes to far and those who think it doesn't go far enough. It's those who are in the middle that are losing out. Remember the old saying "The only thing you find in the middle of the road is a dead skunk."? HC is an outstanding example of where the middle has been steam rolled by the extremes.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

    http://www.justplainpolitics.com/pic...&pictureid=305

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 06:04 PM
  2. Special interests’ on both sides in health fight
    By Yurt in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 08-19-2009, 10:27 PM
  3. The best interests of the child
    By Oliver Cromwell in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2009, 07:09 PM
  4. the main 08 issue.. taxes. this is what people ultimatly vote on
    By Chapdog in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 01-23-2008, 08:11 PM
  5. Replies: 56
    Last Post: 01-14-2008, 06:09 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •