Thread: Cop who arrested black scholar is profiling expert

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    Political pressure SHOULD have been a part of why the charges were dropped, just as political pressure SHOULD be a part of ending racial profiling and police abuse of people of color.

Being rude to police is not against the law although police officers believe it is .. especially if you're black .. that is if indeed Gates was rude.

ALL the relevant facts are already known .. which is why the case was dropped.
    It's more likely the political pressure that exists between the Harvard Cops and the Cambridge police. According to a friend there is some bad blood between the two and often they step into each other. Of course that is according to his experience in Cambridge as a cop... I don't live there.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    We all feel sorry for you in your delusionary sense of self satisfaction.
    :0)

.. and a strong sense of self-satisfaction I most certainly have .. but it's based on my history my good brother, not delusion.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

3. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    It's more likely the political pressure that exists between the Harvard Cops and the Cambridge police. According to a friend there is some bad blood between the two and often they step into each other. Of course that is according to his experience in Cambridge as a cop... I don't live there.
    I've read that as well .. but no self-respecting department wants to be the focus of all that is wrong with police departments and I'm sure there was pressure to take the focus off them .. as well as the pressure to charge a man with disorderly conduct from an incident that began with cops investigating a man for breaking into his own home.

At the end of the day, Gates and the issue of racial profiling are the winners .. and I'm sure there are more than a few police departments figuriing out how not end up being the focus of attention.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

4. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Political pressure SHOULD have been a part of why the charges were dropped, just as political pressure SHOULD be a part of ending racial profiling and police abuse of people of color.

Being rude to police is not against the law although police officers believe it is .. especially if you're black .. that is if indeed Gates was rude.

ALL the relevant facts are already known .. which is why the case was dropped.
    ironic as you called obama a pussy for basically apology for the most part if not all because of political pressure

5. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dungheap View Post
    Stepping back, it boggles the mind that there is this much dispute over whether it was appropriate to arrest a black man at his house for being uppity, let alone whether the arrest was "stupid."

I'm not inclined to discuss this much further.
    given your thoughts in this post....thats a good idea

6. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

I already know your problem.

Four hours is immediately in a criminal case.

Gates chastises officer after authorities agree to drop criminal charge

Earlier today, the Middlesex district attorney's office announced plans to drop criminal charges against Gates. The City of Cambridge and the police department recommended today that prosecutors not pursue charges in a joint statement from authorities and Gates that called the confrontation "regrettable and unfortunate."

"This incident should not be viewed as one that demeans the character and reputation of professor Gates or the character of the Cambridge Police Department," the statement said. "All parties agree that this is a just resolution to an unfortunate set of circumstances."

NOTE: Didn't say anything about Crowley.

Cambridge Mayor E. Denise Simmons said in a statement that the controversy illustrated "that Cambridge must continue finding ways to address matters of race and class in a frank, honest, and productive manner."
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/bre...s_to_be_d.html

Where is your evidence that Gates apologized?

Believe whatever you want, but Gates and the issue of racial profiling are the winners here.
    "All parties agree that this is a just resolution to an unfortunate set of circumstances."
    So now you think that Officer Crowley wasn't one of the parties!!

The rest of your post is just more proof that you've been pwnd over your suppositions.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

7. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Grow the fuck up.

You "pwn" ?

... end of conversation.

Come back when you grow up.

By the way .. as for "feeling sorry for me" .. that's laughable.

What have you accomplished that would make you feel sorry for me?
    And yet your comments are more proof that you've been pwnd.

Now, go cry to someone else; because you've been weighed and measured and found to be wanting.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.