Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: which repub moron told me racism was dead

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

Default which repub moron told me racism was dead

Black scholar's arrest raises profiling questions

BOSTON – Police responding to a call about "two black males" breaking into a home near Harvard University ended up arresting the man who lives there — Henry Louis Gates Jr., the nation's pre-eminent black scholar.

Gates had forced his way through the front door because it was jammed, his lawyer said. Colleagues call the arrest last Thursday afternoon a clear case of racial profiling.

Cambridge police say they responded to the well-maintained two-story home after a woman reported seeing "two black males with backpacks on the porch," with one "wedging his shoulder into the door as if he was trying to force entry."

By the time police arrived, Gates was already inside. Police say he refused to come outside to speak with an officer, who told him he was investigating a report of a break-in.

"Why, because I'm a black man in America?" Gates said, according to a police report written by Sgt. James Crowley. The Cambridge police refused to comment on the arrest Monday.

Gates — the director of Harvard's W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research — initially refused to show the officer his identification, but then gave him a Harvard University ID card, according to police.

"Gates continued to yell at me, accusing me of racial bias and continued to tell me that I had not heard the last of him," the officer wrote.

Gates said he turned over his driver's license and Harvard ID — both with his photos — and repeatedly asked for the name and badge number of the officer, who refused. He said he then followed the officer as he left his house onto his front porch, where he was handcuffed in front of other officers, Gates said in a statement released by his attorney, fellow Harvard scholar Charles Ogletree, on a Web site Gates oversees, TheRoot.com

He was arrested on a disorderly conduct charge after police said he "exhibited loud and tumultuous behavior." He was released later that day on his own recognizance. An arraignment was scheduled for Aug. 26.

Gates, 58, also refused to speak publicly Monday, referring calls to Ogletree.

"He was shocked to find himself being questioned and shocked that the conversation continued after he showed his identification," Ogletree said.

Ogletree declined to say whether he believed the incident was racially motivated, saying "I think the incident speaks for itself."

Some of Gates' African-American colleagues say the arrest is part of a pattern of racial profiling in Cambridge.

Allen Counter, who has taught neuroscience at Harvard for 25 years, said he was stopped on campus by two Harvard police officers in 2004 after being mistaken for a robbery suspect. They threatened to arrest him when he could not produce identification.

"We do not believe that this arrest would have happened if professor Gates was white," Counter said. "It really has been very unsettling for African-Americans throughout Harvard and throughout Cambridge that this happened."

The Rev. Al Sharpton is vowing to attend Gates' arraignment.

"This arrest is indicative of at best police abuse of power or at worst the highest example of racial profiling I have seen," Sharpton said. "I have heard of driving while black and even shopping while black but now even going to your own home while black is a new low in police community affairs."

Ogletree said Gates had returned from a trip to China on Thursday with a driver, when he found his front door jammed. He went through the back door into the home — which he leases from Harvard — shut off an alarm and worked with the driver to get the door open. The driver left, and Gates was on the phone with the property's management company when police first arrived.

Ogletree also disputed the claim that Gates, who was wearing slacks and a polo shirt and carrying a cane, was yelling at the officer.

"He has an infection that has impacted his breathing since he came back from China, so he's been in a very delicate physical state," Ogletree said.

Lawrence D. Bobo, the W.E.B Du Bois Professor of the Social Sciences at Harvard, said he met with Gates at the police station and described his colleague as feeling humiliated and "emotionally devastated."

"It's just deeply disappointing but also a pointed reminder that there are serious problems that we have to wrestle with," he said.

Bobo said he hoped Cambridge police would drop the charges and called on the department to use the incident to review training and screening procedures it has in place.

The Middlesex district attorney's office said it could not do so until after Gates' arraignment. The woman who reported the apparent break-in did not return a message Monday.

Gates joined the Harvard faculty in 1991 and holds one of 20 prestigious "university professors" positions at the school. He also was host of "African American Lives," a PBS show about the family histories of prominent U.S. blacks, and was named by Time magazine as one of the 25 most influential Americans in 1997.

"I was obviously very concerned when I learned on Thursday about the incident," Harvard president Drew Gilpin Faust said in a statement. "He and I spoke directly and
    The stone that the builder refused
    Will always be the head corner stone

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,126 Times in 9,657 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 503 Times in 476 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well, sotomayor believes latina women make inherently superior decisions than whites. So I'd say racism is alive and well in her, at least.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

Not me man I've always maintained the the Democrat Party is the party of racism and several times here cited that bastion of liberalism, Boston Massachusetts, as a shining example. Cambridge (metro Boston) is even more liberal and therefore worse. *shrug*

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

they don't want blacks around and treat them like shit when they are.
    they are all to happy to point fingers at the south at the same time. its sad

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
    they don't want blacks around and treat them like shit when they are.
    they are all to happy to point fingers at the south at the same time. its sad
    You finally "get it" Topper.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    You finally "get it" Topper.
    Listen retard, I slam dems at least as much as repubs as I'm a centerist (exteemly socially liberal and fiscally conservative).
    You however are a blind righty retard.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

P.S. which means there's more racism not less.
    dems are racist, but if you had a bar chart the repubs bar for racism would dwarf the democratic one.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

P.S. which means there's more racism not less.
    dems are racist, but if you had a bar chart the repubs bar for racism would dwarf the democratic one.
    Prove it. *shrug*

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Listen retard, I slam dems at least as much as repubs as I'm a centerist (exteemly socially liberal and fiscally conservative).
    You however are a blind righty retard.
    That doesn't mean you're a centrist but a libertarian. LOL.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

what republicans need to keep pounding on is covering illegals, this shit is going to cost exponetially what Obama is admitting to.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

illegals need health care to you want them dying in the streets

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

they are getting it free in emergency room just like poor people. that's more than enough

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

meadowmuffins story....i think the prof protesteth to much and wanted this arrest...why was he an asshole to the officers in the first place...

no racism here

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Black scholar's arrest raises profiling questions
    Just curious, but if you are going to title a thread 'What Rep moron...'

shouldn't you at least spell MORON correctly?

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    meadowmuffins story....i think the prof protesteth to much and wanted this arrest...why was he an asshole to the officers in the first place...

no racism here
    your fucking racist you kkk member
    Dude is old like 60, has an id with his home address.
    Cope sees black and thinks no way he owns this.
    it's extreemly racist