Thread: Honduras Crisis Forces Obama to Focus on Latin America

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Honduras Crisis Forces Obama to Focus on Latin America

The military coup against Honduran president Manuel Zelaya puts pressure on President Obama to break sharply with past American policies or risk massive defections in what remains of Latin America's goodwill.

Yesterday President Obama declared the coup was "not legal" and affirmed the Zelaya government's legitimacy, statements that were considered "very good" by Venezuelan diplomats interviewed by The Nation.

The Obama position is complicated by the history of US training of the Honduras armed forces, past involvement with shadowy death squads, and concern over Zelaya's alliance with the Bolivarian Alternative for the Americas. In the background are memories of US complicity in the attempted coup against Venezuela's Hugo Chávez in 2002.

The issue will become paramount today as foreign ministers of the Organization of American States (OAS) meet in Washington, DC, to consider their response. The Venezuelans will be accompanied by the exiled Honduran foreign minister. Meanwhile, Zelaya is expected to be at the United Nations for meetings at the General Assembly. "This will be a turning point in the history of the OAS," observed the Venezuelan official.

Some Democratic insiders were expressing mixed feelings over the coup. Michael Tomasky's blog found it "complicated," before concluding that "a military coup is a military coup, I guess." Faith Smith, writing on the blog of Steve Clemons of the New American Foundation, found it "difficult to say which side is democratic." She noted approvingly that Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, while criticizing the coup, offered "no specific support for Zelaya."

The choice for Obama is whether to side with a democratically elected government that happens to be a Venezuelan ally, or be ostracized by the governments of Latin America. Obama's policies have indicated a desire for modest and gradual rapprochement after the Bush years, without rapid or concrete changes. That gradualism will be tested today.
    http://www.thenation.com/doc/20090713/hayden2

I'm betting this test proves him to be weak.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess it is time for another invasion down there.
    sigh.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Demwit View Post
    I guess it is time for another invasion down there.
    sigh.
    Invasion unnecessary brother .. but Obama had best stay on the correct side of this argument.

AFL-CIO: Honduras Coup Is ‘Unconscionable’

The AFL-CIO today called on the U.S. government and the international community, particularly the Organization of American States and the United Nations, to “make every effort” to restore constitutional order in Honduras and reinstate democratically elected President Manuel Zelaya, who was ousted in a military coup Sunday.

In a statement, AFL-CIO President John Sweeney called the coup “an unconscionable attack on the fundamental rights and liberties of the Honduran people.” He urged governments to condemn the coup and withhold recognition of the current government. Zelaya was ousted after pushing for a referendum on proposed changes that would allow the president to run for re-election and create new procedures for amending the constitution.

The recent internal conflict relating to the proposed constitutional referendum cannot in any way justify the extra-constitutional measures undertaken by the armed forces. These measures are a flagrant violation of the most basic democratic principles and of the rule of law.

Sweeney said eyewitness reports are coming in that thousands of people, including trade union members, were tear-gassed by the military simply for assembling to demand the return to democratic order and the reinstating of Zelaya.

We call on the United States government to also take all measures within its diplomatic powers to ensure that all Honduran civilians, and particularly trade unionists and social activists denouncing the coup, are safe and secure and will not be victimized by violence and repression.

Sweeney said the federation stands in solidarity with our sister organizations of Honduras, the national trade union centrals—the Unitary Central of Honduran Workers (CUTH), the Confederation of Honduran Workers (CTH) and the General Workers Central (CGT)—as well as with the Trade Union Confederation of the Americas (TUCA), representing more than 45 million workers of this hemisphere, in condemning the coup.

Meanwhile, three major public-sector unions in Honduras announced plans for a general strike today in support of Zelaya, according to CNN. “It will be an indefinite strike,” Oscar Garcia, vice president of the Honduran water workers union told CNN.

We don’t recognize this new government imposed by the oligarchy and we will mount our campaign of resistance until President Manuel Zelaya is restored to power.

Garcia estimated that 30,000 public-sector workers, as well as some private-sector workers and peasant farmers, might join the strike.
    http://blog.aflcio.org/2009/06/30/af...nconscionable/
    Last edited by blackascoal; 07-01-2009 at 08:54 AM.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

I'm guessing keeping Chavez happy is much less important to Obama, though is weak.
    BAC the other day I forgott to bring up brothers Johnson which was played again in heavily in Will Farrells 70's movie Jakie Moon
    The stone that the builder refused
    Will always be the head corner stone

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
    I'm guessing keeping Chavez happy is much less important to Obama, though is weak.
    BAC the other day I forgott to bring up brothers Johnson which was played again in heavily in Will Farrells 70's movie Jakie Moon
    It isn't just Chavez my friend .. it's planet earth.

The Brothers Johnson .. Strawberry Letter 23 Live DVD

Recorded in Oakland, CA 2003, released 2005

Not their best performance and I'm a BIG fan .. but it's the only chance you have to see them close to where they were back in the day.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Oakland baby,
    how about Tower of Power
    it's not the crime
    only so much oil
    what is hip

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Oakland baby,
    how about Tower of Power
    it's not the crime
    only so much oil
    what is hip
    Lenny Williams

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    I'm betting this test proves him to be weak.
    You seem to have a vested interest in Obama failing as President?
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

who could get over losing Lenny Williams.
    so very hard to go

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mottleydude View Post
    You seem to have a vested interest in Obama failing as President?
    Wrong brother. I just call it as I see it.

I'll be more than happy to report and acknowledge when I'm wrong about him .. but up to this point he's governed just as I expected him to, with the exception of his seemingly toughness with Israel .. and I acknowledged that.

What I expect of him on Honduras is his usual typical weakness. If he's tougher than I expected I'll acknowledge that as well .. but I won't be holding my breath.

He's a centrist, thus always looking for the easy way out and will only get tougher when pushed.

Surely you've seen this.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

who could get over losing Lenny Williams.
    so very hard to go
    Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Tower of Power's Uraban Renewal is one the the funkiest horns and with Lenny's vocals the album is classic

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Tower of Power's Uraban Renewal is one the the funkiest horns and with Lenny's vocals the album is classic
    See my PM

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

sent u 1 back brudda

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

this was NOT a military coup because the military is currently not in the leadership regime, however, i'm sure that by telling the lie long enough, it will be accepted as truth
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.