Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Five 'Jena Six' defendants end case with slap on the wrist

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 418 Posts

Default Five 'Jena Six' defendants end case with slap on the wrist

Five 'Jena Six' defendants end case with plea bargains
    They'll serve seven days' probation and pay fines plus restitution to the white classmate attacked in 2006. The case drew national attention and thousands of protesters to the tiny Louisiana town.
    Associated Press
    June 27, 2009

Jena, La. -- Five members of the "Jena Six" pleaded no contest Friday to misdemeanor simple battery and won't serve jail time, ending a case that thrust a small Louisiana town into the national spotlight and sparked a massive civil rights demonstration.

The five were sentenced to seven days of unsupervised probation and fined $500. It was a far less severe end to their cases than seemed possible when the six students were initially charged with attempted murder in the 2006 attack on Justin Barker, a white classmate. They became known as the Jena Six in reference to the central Louisiana town where the beating happened.

As part of the deal, one of the attorneys read a statement from the five defendants -- all of whom are black -- in which they said that they knew of nothing that Barker might have done to provoke the attack.

"To be clear, not one of us heard Justin use any slur or say anything that justified Mychal Bell attacking Justin, nor did any of us see Justin do anything that would cause Mychal to react," the statement said.

The statement also expressed sympathy for Barker and his family, and acknowledged that the last 2 1/2 years had "caused Justin and his parents tremendous pain and suffering, much of which has gone unrecognized."

By pleading no contest, the five do not admit guilt but acknowledge that prosecutors have enough evidence for a conviction. Charges against Carwin Jones, Jesse Beard, Robert Bailey, Bryant Purvis and Theodore Shaw had previously been reduced from attempted murder to aggravated second-degree battery.

The payment of restitution to Barker was also part of the deal, but the amount was not released.

The only member of the group to serve jail time was Bell, who pleaded guilty in December 2007 to second-degree battery and was sentenced to 18 months in jail.

The severity of the original charges brought widespread criticism and eventually led more than 20,000 people to converge in September 2007 on Jena for a civil rights march.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,7477001.story

White kid gets beat up by 6 blacks because he is white, is not a hate crime. I hope his family sues them in civil court for everything crack dollar they have. I imagine it won't take too long before they end up in jail where they belong.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

where are the resident negros to help us understand how this was not a hate crime?

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 46 Times in 43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by webbway View Post
    Five 'Jena Six' defendants end case with plea bargains
    They'll serve seven days' probation and pay fines plus restitution to the white classmate attacked in 2006. The case drew national attention and thousands of protesters to the tiny Louisiana town.
    Associated Press
    June 27, 2009

Jena, La. -- Five members of the "Jena Six" pleaded no contest Friday to misdemeanor simple battery and won't serve jail time, ending a case that thrust a small Louisiana town into the national spotlight and sparked a massive civil rights demonstration.

The five were sentenced to seven days of unsupervised probation and fined $500. It was a far less severe end to their cases than seemed possible when the six students were initially charged with attempted murder in the 2006 attack on Justin Barker, a white classmate. They became known as the Jena Six in reference to the central Louisiana town where the beating happened.

As part of the deal, one of the attorneys read a statement from the five defendants -- all of whom are black -- in which they said that they knew of nothing that Barker might have done to provoke the attack.

"To be clear, not one of us heard Justin use any slur or say anything that justified Mychal Bell attacking Justin, nor did any of us see Justin do anything that would cause Mychal to react," the statement said.

The statement also expressed sympathy for Barker and his family, and acknowledged that the last 2 1/2 years had "caused Justin and his parents tremendous pain and suffering, much of which has gone unrecognized."

By pleading no contest, the five do not admit guilt but acknowledge that prosecutors have enough evidence for a conviction. Charges against Carwin Jones, Jesse Beard, Robert Bailey, Bryant Purvis and Theodore Shaw had previously been reduced from attempted murder to aggravated second-degree battery.

The payment of restitution to Barker was also part of the deal, but the amount was not released.

The only member of the group to serve jail time was Bell, who pleaded guilty in December 2007 to second-degree battery and was sentenced to 18 months in jail.

The severity of the original charges brought widespread criticism and eventually led more than 20,000 people to converge in September 2007 on Jena for a civil rights march.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,7477001.story

White kid gets beat up by 6 blacks because he is white, is not a hate crime. I hope his family sues them in civil court for everything crack dollar they have. I imagine it won't take too long before they end up in jail where they belong.
    This case was so sad on many levels. I believe it represents just how wrong are the signals sent to our young people through music and film. It is also why I am anti "Hate Crime Legislation" a stupid knee-jerk reaction to a much larger problem, but makes everyone feel better about punishing criminal behavior. These kids via their culture have learned to hate someone based on the color of their skin acting on that is not a new kind of hate or a special kind of hate...it's just hate. I believe it's because we are still, as a society, hung up on creating differences. I was listening (not by choice) to a rap song that came on the radio while my son was cleaning the car. The lyrics were so full of racial hate I was sickened. Much of this kind of hatred is fueld by left over activists from the 50's and 70's.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

:lmao:

No words are necessary
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post

No words are necessary
    ?is this how you would react if the races were reversed

wrong is wrong no matter which way the hate flows...6 to 1...wtf

apparently a financial deal was worked out so the court did not lay the money payment on too heavy

i find it interesting that the kid jumped and those doing the jumping are either off to college or recently graduated from high school

it appears that only one of those doing the jumping got a felony conviction, so perhaps he did most of the jumping
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post

No words are necessary
    Wow. Not funny bac. Words are necessary. This is an injustice and I hate stupid, closeminded motherfuckers who close their eyes and cover their ears when they see a situation they can't deal with.
    There is much to be said in favour of modern journalism. By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.

-Oscar Wilde

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    where are the resident negros to help us understand how this was not a hate crime?
    The "negro" comment was unnecessary, unwarrented, and unwanted.

Your verbage is an insult to memebers of my extended family.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

And why do you think they were given just sentences rather than the 20 years the prosecutor had lined out? Was it possibly because of public pressure? Oh no, that's impossible...
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 46 Times in 43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DonQuixote View Post
    ?is this how you would react if the races were reversed

wrong is wrong no matter which way the hate flows...6 to 1...wtf

apparently a financial deal was worked out so the court did not lay the money payment on too heavy

i find it interesting that the kid jumped and those doing the jumping are either off to college or recently graduated from high school

it appears that only one of those doing the jumping got a felony conviction, so perhaps he did most of the jumping
    The answer to that question would be nice to hear.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    The "negro" comment was unnecessary, unwarrented, and unwanted.

Your verbage is an insult to memebers of my extended family.
    there was nothing wrong with using the word negro.

And it you don't like it, too bad.

As for that drama queen BAC, what a loser. Racist negro

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

"Negro" superseded "colored" as the most polite terminology, at a time when "black" was still generally regarded as negative.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negro[/ame]

LOL

After sotomayor openly stated she would discriminate based on her race and gender and evey last libetard here had no problem with it, I've decide I no longer care about being polite nor worrying about being racist. I don't care if i'm racist let alone if someone thinks I'm racist. Fuck you all. You can worry about all you want. Not me.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just nuke Jenna, LA and let gawd sort em out.
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,640 Times in 4,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,357 Times in 1,282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Why don't you ask the prosecution, genius.

Bottom line: prosecution only makes/accepts deals when they can't get a slam dunk on what they want....and defense will do the same if they can't keep up the cost of defense or don't want to risk possible higher level of conviction.

They got Bell dead to rights, and they could not prove anything else other than you had a bunch of jokers joining in on a beat down.....given all the other crap that went on in that town prior to the incident, I'm surprised there weren't more of the same regardless of race.

The initial protests were to the severity of the original sentencing....apparantly the protestors were onto something, given the final results.

Oh, and please..... since you're going to get technical on us....let us all know when you start exclusively start referring to yourself and others like you as a caucasian, or those Sons/Daughters of the Confederacy start exclusively referring to themselves as confederates. If you can't or won't, then you've just revealed yourself as just another robotic bigot with limited programming.
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

there was nothing wrong with using the word negro.

And it you don't like it, too bad.

As for that drama queen BAC, what a loser. Racist negro
    Yes, there is something wrong with using it.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Dancer View Post
    This case was so sad on many levels. I believe it represents just how wrong are the signals sent to our young people through music and film. It is also why I am anti "Hate Crime Legislation" a stupid knee-jerk reaction to a much larger problem, but makes everyone feel better about punishing criminal behavior. These kids via their culture have learned to hate someone based on the color of their skin acting on that is not a new kind of hate or a special kind of hate...it's just hate. I believe it's because we are still, as a society, hung up on creating differences. I was listening (not by choice) to a rap song that came on the radio while my son was cleaning the car. The lyrics were so full of racial hate I was sickened. Much of this kind of hatred is fueld by left over activists from the 50's and 70's.
    Here are some examples that were ignored by the Media, starting with Allen Iverson, who was named the NBAs MVP later that very year :

"The Philadelphia 76er star will not release his debut album, Misunderstood, because controversy surrounding his lyrics has spoiled the excitement of crossing over to music for him, his spokesperson at Universal Records said.

Iverson was first criticized for his violent raps a year ago, when a Philadelphia radio station began playing an edited version of the song "40 Bars." The unedited version includes references to gun violence and the line "Come to me with those faggot tendencies and you'll be sleeping where the maggots be."

http://www.vh1.com/artists/news/1449...on_allen.jhtml

Remember these N.Y Knicks remarks ? Me neither. Big story in NYC but national coverage ?

"April: You know what pro athletes don’t discuss enough? Jews! [Black-nji] Knick point guard Charlie Ward does his part to ameliorate this shortage, musing about their role in Christ’s death (apparently, they caused it) before bringing the conversation into modern times by noting, “There are Christians being persecuted by Jews every day.”

May: Strangely, Jewish groups fail to be appeased by Charlie Ward’s defense of his statements: “I didn't mean to offend any one group because that's not what I'm about. I have friends that are Jewish. Actually, my friend is a Jewish guy, and his name is Jesus Christ.” So suck on that, Jews!"

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/the-side/opin...xzz0JhSbbWhV&C

Not to mention this Mike Tyson Freak-Out, with the "White" references carefully edited out at the time along with the "faggot" mentions. (A shortened but uncensored clip) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xwKQ71BDW0

Double Standard ? Just sayin'...