Default British believe Bush is more dangerous than Kim Jong-il

British believe Bush is more dangerous than Kim Jong-il

· US allies think Washington threat to world peace
    · Only Bin Laden feared more in United Kingdom

Julian Glover
    Friday November 3, 2006
    The Guardian

Guardian front page graphic from November 3 2006
    The ICM poll ranks the US president with some of his bitterest enemies as a cause of global anxiety.

America is now seen as a threat to world peace by its closest neighbours and allies, according to an international survey of public opinion published today that reveals just how far the country's reputation has fallen among former supporters since the invasion of Iraq.

Carried out as US voters prepare to go to the polls next week in an election dominated by the war, the research also shows that British voters see George Bush as a greater danger to world peace than either the North Korean leader, Kim Jong-il, or the Iranian president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Both countries were once cited by the US president as part of an "axis of evil", but it is Mr Bush who now alarms voters in countries with traditionally strong links to the US.

The survey has been carried out by the Guardian in Britain and leading newspapers in Israel (Haaretz), Canada (La Presse and Toronto Star) and Mexico (Reforma), using professional local opinion polling in each country.

It exposes high levels of distrust. In Britain, 69% of those questioned say they believe US policy has made the world less safe since 2001, with only 7% thinking action in Iraq and Afghanistan has increased global security.

The finding is mirrored in America's immediate northern and southern neighbours, Canada and Mexico, with 62% of Canadians and 57% of Mexicans saying the world has become more dangerous because of US policy.

Even in Israel, which has long looked to America to guarantee national security, support for the US has slipped.

Only one in four Israeli voters say that Mr Bush has made the world safer, outweighed by the number who think he has added to the risk of international conflict, 36% to 25%. A further 30% say that at best he has made no difference.

Voters in three of the four countries surveyed also overwhelmingly reject the decision to invade Iraq, with only Israeli voters in favour, 59% to 34% against. Opinion against the war has hardened strongly since a similar survey before the US presidential election in 2004.

In Britain 71% of voters now say the invasion was unjustified, a view shared by 89% of Mexicans and 73% of Canadians. Canada is a Nato member whose troops are in action in Afghanistan. Neither do voters think America has helped advance democracy in developing countries, one of the justifications for deposing Saddam Hussein. Only 11% of Britons and 28% of Israelis think that has happened.

As a result, Mr Bush is ranked with some of his bitterest enemies as a cause of global anxiety. He is outranked by Osama bin Laden in all four countries, but runs the al-Qaida leader close in the eyes of UK voters: 87% think the al-Qaida leader is a great or moderate danger to peace, compared with 75% who think this of Mr Bush.

The US leader and close ally of Tony Blair is seen in Britain as a more dangerous man than the president of Iran (62% think he is a danger), the North Korean leader (69%) and the leader of Hizbullah, Hassan Nasrallah (65%).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,1938434,00.html

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, Bush worries me more than Kim and Armourdinnerjacket....

That's what we've been trying to persuade our American cousins of ...
    Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.

Friedrich Nietzsche

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

I think Kim Jong Ill is obviously more malevolent than bush.

But, bush's stupidity, lack of judgment, and messianic zeal has the potential to do more harm to the world - intentionally or unintentionally.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

But, bush's stupidity, lack of judgment, and messianic zeal has the potential to do more harm to the world - intentionally or unintentionally.

Its more the fact that he is in charge of the world's biggest military.

I'd put Kim, Armour and Bush on a par, personality-wise, but Kim and Armour are limited insomuch as they have limited resources to enact their madness....

Makes you appreciate the sanity of Clinton, and I might even say even Raygun....
    Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.

Friedrich Nietzsche

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

With allies like Bush , who needs enemas ?

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by AnyOldIron View Post
    Yes, Bush worries me more than Kim and Armourdinnerjacket....

That's what we've been trying to persuade our American cousins of ...
    Some of us need no persuasion in that regard.

Orwellian is, perhaps, the best single adjective for this administration. The last several, in fact, but this one in particular. Orwellian, but inept.

They so desperately need an Evil Enemy, yet they can't seem to conjure up a believable one. Kim Jong Il, while a nasty little demon in his own private hell, is really small change in the larger circles. And face it: anyone with hair like that is hard to take seriously. Look at Donald Trump.
    "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
    -- V

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AnyOldIron View Post

Its more the fact that he is in charge of the world's biggest military.

I'd put Kim, Armour and Bush on a par, personality-wise, but Kim and Armour are limited insomuch as they have limited resources to enact their madness....

Makes you appreciate the sanity of Clinton, and I might even say even Raygun....
    Reagon wouldn't have invaded iraq. That's my opinon, but reagan's close advisor, Pat Buchannon, also holds this opinion.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,530 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

It is also my opinion that Reagan would not have invaded Iraq.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Bush I also advised his son not to invade Iraq....

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,530 Times in 2,531 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 479 Times in 470 Posts
    Blog Entries

I agree that the combination of deranged messianic attitude and control over the world's largest military makes Dubya more dangerous to world peace than the other leaders mentioned.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by maineman View Post
    I agree that the combination of deranged messianic attitude and control over the world's largest military makes Dubya more dangerous to world peace than the other leaders mentioned.
    Yes. It's not just the desire to impose his will on the world, it's the power to make a serious attempt.
    "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
    -- V

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Also the "Bush Jihad" has about 30% of the US backing him, that is really scary.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm glad that the US seems to be recovering from the red mist caused by 9/11 and recognising the mess Bush has made and how dangerous he is...

I'd imagine the next POTUS will be a complete breath of fresh air...

Have a good weekend chaps, see you all on Monday....

Friedrich Nietzsche

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

yeah, I am heading out soon too, have a school play thing with the Grandchildren this afternoon.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And that is during the pre-election magical gas price drop and the peaceful/diplomatic attitude he has taken in the leadup to the recent election and in light of no recent attacks, another attack and the number immediately rises to 80-90 percent of thoughtless manic support for the war mongering fool.

What was even more scary to me yesterday and I know this is off topic but not quite. I was watching Free-TV and they had a person from the Atheist Society or whatever they are called and she was ranting about how screwed up the Amish were for inviting the wife of the killer of their children to the memorial ceremony. I couldn't believe it. I listened for a few minutes to make sure I was hearing this idiot correctly and yes that is what she was saying. I had to turn it off. I still haven't gotten over that. I mean there are a lot of things that I feel the Amish may be wrong about, but certainly their handling of their recent tragedy was a model in humanity that the rest of the nation would to well to immulate. So I was psychologically damaged to some extent by the level of this woman's animosity to their willingness to understand first that the wife had nothing to do with the actions of the husband and second that they were willing to forgive and share the outpouring of generosity from around the nation with the family of the perpetrator knowing that they were suffering as much as the Amish themselves were sugffering. And then to see this eye for an eye response from Atheists which is so similar to that of the Religious Right, was terrifying. Some people in this world are fucked up!!!!