Thread: The Elections Are Important, But How Much?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 71 Times in 64 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default The Elections Are Important, But How Much?

Once again, the ties that bind. I've been blessed at this site. Many of you know that my nephew underwent a second brain surgery in July, we were very optimistic afterwards, as were the neurosurgeons. Unfortunately, the problem has reemerged. Loyola saw no recourse other than a permanent drain from the brain through the skull. That would make it nearly impossible for him to work. As it is, he cannot drive.

After consultations Loyola wrote up a request to Mayo to evaluate. Mayo had been one of 8 university hospitals in consult with both surgeries. They said yes, they would do an in-hospital referral. Two weeks ago, a week after his 1 year wedding anniversary, my brother and sil, took him up for consult. His wife couldn't get off, while her employer has been understanding, they'd taken a week off for the honeymoon they couldn't a year ago, and the July surgery meant 4 missed days. At 25, you all know that in a management position, with more on the way, you back off. Thank the lord my brother and sil could, but I'm sure it caused problems.

Mayo's evaluations indicate that both surgeries were successful in the sense that the cyst is 'something', that has been addressed successfully, meaning it's draining and no scar tissue has formed, quite lucky as Jay like most of us is a keloid healers, lots of scar tissue. Yet it's continuing to fill up, from they assume fluids thrown off by the benign, non-growing tumor. So, they are going to try and attack it with radiation. First time for them or anyplace. This is not one of the times one wishes to be unique.

He and my SIL are now driving up to Rochester. Tomorrow they go through pre-op. Tuesday they will put in the reservoir, then Wednesday pre-radiation write up/testing. 5 week radiation treatment to start 11/17 or sooner. They are concerned with the expansion of the cyst.

Please say a prayer. I've explained the specialness of Jay several times, I say thanks daily for those that contributed to his 'walk' for brain tumors, just a few days before he found out he'd have to have the second surgery.

I'm certainly scared. Without a doubt. Yet, if you knew him, his wife, his parents, well I'm also optimistic. As were those doctors at Loyola and Mayo. Strong, fit, and determined. Dying at 25 or 26?

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

We'll again be keeping Jay in the family's thoughts.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kathi, I do not pray but will be sending all the positive thoughts I can for your Nephew.
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    Kathi, I do not pray but will be sending all the positive thoughts I can for your Nephew.
    Thank you both. I'm trying to hold it together. Today he was going through pre-op testing, tomorrow the shunt will be inserted. Wed. will be a down day, recovery from procedure. Thurs testing for radiation.

They are project 11/17 as the beginning of radiation.

Family problem, who's doing Thanksgiving? Should we all meet in Rochester or should Jay go to inlaws in upper WI? Dilemas.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thanksgiving is often a dillema in the best of times.
    Hang in there Kathi.
    Proving tax cuts work!

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Here's hoping for the best, Kathianne. Stay positive...

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My thanksvgiving dilema. Have some disabled vets and their families here at my place. Or go to a family gathering in another state.
    I am leaning towards the disabled vets as a couple of them have no one...
    Proving tax cuts work!

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 39 Times in 33 Posts

I hope that all goes well for him. I will keep him and you in my thoughts as I do not pray either.

9. #9 | Top
    Cancel3 Guest

Kathi, I hope all goes well. I will keep Jay in my thoughts. I hope you manage to have some joy in your life during these tough times.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Once again, the ties that bind. I've been blessed at this site. Many of you know that my nephew underwent a second brain surgery in July, we were very optimistic afterwards, as were the neurosurgeons. Unfortunately, the problem has reemerged. Loyola saw no recourse other than a permanent drain from the brain through the skull. That would make it nearly impossible for him to work. As it is, he cannot drive.

After consultations Loyola wrote up a request to Mayo to evaluate. Mayo had been one of 8 university hospitals in consult with both surgeries. They said yes, they would do an in-hospital referral. Two weeks ago, a week after his 1 year wedding anniversary, my brother and sil, took him up for consult. His wife couldn't get off, while her employer has been understanding, they'd taken a week off for the honeymoon they couldn't a year ago, and the July surgery meant 4 missed days. At 25, you all know that in a management position, with more on the way, you back off. Thank the lord my brother and sil could, but I'm sure it caused problems.

Mayo's evaluations indicate that both surgeries were successful in the sense that the cyst is 'something', that has been addressed successfully, meaning it's draining and no scar tissue has formed, quite lucky as Jay like most of us is a keloid healers, lots of scar tissue. Yet it's continuing to fill up, from they assume fluids thrown off by the benign, non-growing tumor. So, they are going to try and attack it with radiation. First time for them or anyplace. This is not one of the times one wishes to be unique.

He and my SIL are now driving up to Rochester. Tomorrow they go through pre-op. Tuesday they will put in the reservoir, then Wednesday pre-radiation write up/testing. 5 week radiation treatment to start 11/17 or sooner. They are concerned with the expansion of the cyst.

Please say a prayer. I've explained the specialness of Jay several times, I say thanks daily for those that contributed to his 'walk' for brain tumors, just a few days before he found out he'd have to have the second surgery.

I'm certainly scared. Without a doubt. Yet, if you knew him, his wife, his parents, well I'm also optimistic. As were those doctors at Loyola and Mayo. Strong, fit, and determined. Dying at 25 or 26?
    God bless!

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Thanks again. Talked to my brother last evening, we're meeting for dinner tomorrow. My sil said Jay is keeping positive.