1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 278 Times in 249 Posts

Default $350 Million High School

$350 Million High School Finally Opens
    By CHRISTINA HOAG, AP

LOS ANGELES (Sept. 3) - A decade behind schedule, a $350 million downtown high school finally opened on Wednesday after years of environmental, seismic and legal troubles.
    "We've been waiting a long time to get this," said Uriel Rivera, an 18-year-old senior at the Edward R. Roybal Learning Center. "A lot of people in the community were supposed to graduate from here, but they didn't. I thought it was going to be the same for me."
    Damian Dovarganes, AP
    Students start classes at the newly opened Edward R. Roybal Learning Center in downtown Los Angeles Wednesday. The school resembles a college campus, with several classroom buildings surrounding a landscaped courtyard.

Rivera was among more than 2,400 students who streamed into the school on its first day — long after what had been expected to be a late 1990s debut of an education showplace to relieve sorely overcrowded classrooms.
    Much of what was then called the Belmont Learning Center was already constructed before fears grew about toxic gases rising from an old oil field upon which it was built.
    Construction was halted in 2000, then resumed in 2002 only to be thwarted again, this time by the discovery of an earthquake fault that crosses the site.
    Lengthy investigations by the county district attorney's office, the city attorney and the California attorney general found no criminal wrongdoing, but in 2003 District Attorney Steve Cooley labeled the project "a public works disaster of biblical proportions."
    The school became a symbol of bureaucratic ineptitude and wasted taxpayer money. The ensuing scandal swept a district superintendent and almost half the school board out of office.
    "I feel a little emotional that it took so long. These seniors were in kindergarten when this was being built," Principal Scott Braxton said as he surveyed the sprawling school. "But it's finally here."
    The school resembles a college campus, with several classroom buildings surrounding a landscaped courtyard. It boasts a gym with capacity to hold 3,000, a large dance studio with cushioned maple floors, 480 underground parking spaces — and a $17 million toxic gas mitigation system that costs $250,000 a year to operate.
    School grounds are dotted with tall light poles topped with mushroom-like caps — vents to let underground methane and hydrogen sulfide gases escape. Sensors monitor subterranean levels of the gases. When a gas buildup is detected, a blower is activated to push out the gases more quickly.
    Students at the school choose among six smaller, autonomous "learning communities" that are focused around career themes, including languages, visual arts and humanities, business and finance, computer science and leadership. The Los Angeles Unified School District also is using the curriculum model at some large high schools.
    "It's a paradigm shift," Braxton said. "It gives us a chance to personalize high school for the kids."
    I pledge allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America as amended by the legislative and executive branches and interpreted by the Supreme Court

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Case in point: liberalism is a mental disorder.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Case in point: liberalism is a mental disorder.
    Token Thor right-wing radio talk show host quote of the day.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Conservatives would build schools with the sweat off their brow and spit.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    Conservatives build schools that serve their intended purpose, without hundreds of millions in bullshit pork spending. That flophouse just goes to show how terribly fucked up California is...

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Conservatives build schools that serve their intended purpose, without hundreds of millions in bullshit pork spending. That flophouse just goes to show how terribly fucked up California is...
    What pork spending? The fact that the only free area where they needed to build a high school in the overpopulated Los Angeles area happened to be located in a terrible spot and they needed to disperse the fumes with an expensive system?

Conservatives would've just thrown kids out on the street and told them tough luck you don't deserve an education cus you're black and poor.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 418 Posts

What pork spending? The fact that the only free area where they needed to build a high school in the overpopulated Los Angeles area happened to be located in a terrible spot and they needed to disperse the fumes with an expensive system?

Conservatives would've just thrown kids out on the street and told them tough luck you don't deserve an education cus you're black and poor.
    Spend a few minutes doing a google on Belmont Learning Center, these so called assholes built the site on top of an old oil field without a full environmental study which had not been done before the start of construction. On top of that, it sits on an earthquake fault line. The rules of construction were not followed on anything to do with this project.
    No conservatives would not have built it at that location, we think more of children to do that to them.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So none of the people involved in the building of the HS were Republicans ?
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by webbway View Post
    No conservatives would not have built it at that location, we think more of children to do that to them.
    No conservative would be trusted with actual power in a big a city. That would be a nightmare.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No conservative would be trusted with actual power in a big a city. That would be a nightmare.
    so Rudy ? Wall Street ? CEO's, etc ?

there is front "power" and real power.
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Don't forget the duct tape.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle