Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tire gauge-gate

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Default Tire gauge-gate

What is with the McCain campaign? Have they made a decision to run as dishonest a campaign as possible?

I saw the speech where Obama made the comment about Americans being able to save on energy costs by inflating their tires. It was a pretty off-the-cuff remark, and certainly not presented as any kind of comprehensive energy plan, or cure all. Fact is, it's true.

So why does McCain jump on it, and distort it as much as possible? They distributed tire pressure gauges marked "Obama's energy plan" to the press, and they've been talking about it ever since.

http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008...a-energy-plan/

It's the Seinfeld campaign; it's a campaign about nothing.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

Because Obama is getting his ASS PUMMELED ON ENERGY, and it's an effective tag line.
    McCain is for increasing supply vastly and driving down oil prices, Obama is for you inflating your tires cause like Pelosi he thinks your and idiot.
    The stone that the builder refused
    Will always be the head corner stone

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

You mean like Cypress and Co are misrepresenting McCain's healthcare plan as "Get in Shape!"?

Yeah I agree on both counts, it is totally dishonest.
    There is much to be said in favour of modern journalism. By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.

-Oscar Wilde

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Top you have yet to explain how increasing demand in a market where supply already outstrips demand is going to help a damn thing.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ib1yysguy View Post
    Top you have yet to explain how increasing demand in a market where supply already outstrips demand is going to help a damn thing.
    Ib1unemployed Gerber, are you on daddy's allowance.
    do you know supply and demand theory
    How bad do you think it will hurt when you catch your first bullet?

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,131 Times in 9,660 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
    McCain is for increasing supply vastly and driving down oil prices, Obama is for you inflating your tires cause like Pelosi he thinks your and idiot.
    This month. Wait till he gets elected and refinds the same COURAGE he had before when he was NOBLELY trying to jam amnesty down america's throat, and then goes back to hoarding oil underground for the MIC. He's a real hero.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

and YOU continue to act as though worldwide supply outstrips demand without providing any evidence of such. No question demand has diminished in recent months due to the high prices (which has caused subsequent drops in prices) but that does not mean the trend isn't there. When you also factor in the short term ban on cars in Beijing and our short term pullback couple those two with the increase in focus on more energy production, you get a price decline.

Side note, I am going to assume you meant "explain how increasing supply in a market" as otherwise your above comment makes no sense at all.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
    Ib1unemployed Gerber, are you on daddy's allowance.
    do you know supply and demand theory
    How bad do you think it will hurt when you catch your first bullet?
    No, yes, I don't catch bullets.

Increasing supply when supply already outstrips demand isn't going to change a damn thing. If oil had a REAL scarcity problem and prices were due to demand, as you claim, then we'd see demand being greater than the supply. But we do not. We did (just barely!) two years ago. But not these days.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    and YOU continue to act as though worldwide supply outstrips demand without providing any evidence of such. No question demand has diminished in recent months due to the high prices (which has caused subsequent drops in prices) but that does not mean the trend isn't there. When you also factor in the short term ban on cars in Beijing and our short term pullback couple those two with the increase in focus on more energy production, you get a price decline.

Side note, I am going to assume you meant "explain how increasing supply in a market" as otherwise your above comment makes no sense at all.
    Yes, I meant supply.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Increasing supply when supply already outstrips demand isn't going to change a damn thing. If oil had a REAL scarcity problem and prices were due to demand, as you claim, then we'd see demand being greater than the supply. But we do not. We did (just barely!) two years ago. But not these days.
    you should join, you are plenty dumb enough to be a bullet catcher.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post
    What is with the McCain campaign? Have they made a decision to run as dishonest a campaign as possible?

I saw the speech where Obama made the comment about Americans being able to save on energy costs by inflating their tires. It was a pretty off-the-cuff remark, and certainly not presented as any kind of comprehensive energy plan, or cure all. Fact is, it's true.

So why does McCain jump on it, and distort it as much as possible? They distributed tire pressure gauges marked "Obama's energy plan" to the press, and they've been talking about it ever since.

http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008...a-energy-plan/

It's the Seinfeld campaign; it's a campaign about nothing.
    I was reading a profile of Jim Webb, a while back, I think it was in the New York Review of Books. Within it was an interesting tidbit about him and McCain. Webb had said he tried three or four times to personally get McCain’s support of Webb’s GI Bill which McCain refused to do. This was on the floor of the Senate. Then Webb was told that McCain had put out a statement claiming that Webb’s office wouldn’t talk to him about it. Webb said “he’s so full of it”, and explained that not only had he approached him in person 3-4 times, but he had also personally called his office to speak to his staff.

John McCain is a liar.

He lies every day.

Whatever you want to say about Obama, he is not out there telling outrageous lies about other people every day.

But McCain is. That’s what he does. He lies.

When is the media going to call it like it is? It took them how many years to admit that Bush was lying? It was far too late. They’re doing it again.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Please back that up with whatever evidence you have to show that is (and/or has been) the case.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

You have yet to prove that supply outstrips demand other than to say some guys said it on NPR.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    I was reading a profile of Jim Webb, a while back, I think it was in the New York Review of Books. Within it was an interesting tidbit about him and McCain. Webb had said he tried three or four times to personally get McCain’s support of Webb’s GI Bill which McCain refused to do. This was on the floor of the Senate. Then Webb was told that McCain had put out a statement claiming that Webb’s office wouldn’t talk to him about it. Webb said “he’s so full of it”, and explained that not only had he approached him in person 3-4 times, but he had also personally called his office to speak to his staff.

John McCain is a liar.

He lies every day.

Whatever you want to say about Obama, he is not out there telling outrageous lies about other people every day.

But McCain is. That’s what he does. He lies.

When is the media going to call it like it is? It took them how many years to admit that Bush was lying? It was far too late. They’re doing it again.
    LMAO.... so ... we are supposed to take Webbs word for it over McCains why???? From what you just stated it is a he said/he said thing. Unless you have evidence to demonstrate that they did talk about it???

Please tell me you didn't just call McCain a liar without evidence.
    Quote from Cypress:

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

"When is the media going to call it like it is? It took them how many years to admit that Bush was lying? It was far too late. They’re doing it again."

McCain has the POW thing, and the maverick thing, both working for him. The media was smitten with him before, and I think it's still universally accepted that he is a "man of integrity," again, based on little more than he was a POW, and an alleged "maverick." He MUST have integrity if he's willing to alienate the Limbaughs & Coulters of the world. Plus, he speaks earnestly most of the time, and he's an old man.

But you're right - he's a liar. I've gotta admit, I bought into some of that image he had cultivated; I thought he would run a pretty good, issues oriented campaign. He isn't. He's lying, and running a BS campaign, that plays to the worst of us.